1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fifa World Cup 2018 and 2022

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DaDakota, Dec 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

For as little as they have to pay their construction workers....they better have the infrastructure complete.

2. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

ATW -- perhaps you could take the islam angel to the D&D and leave this forum for the football hooligans, heat averse, and otherwise dumbfounded masses?

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL @ some of these:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/12/qatar_world_cup_a_childrens_tr.html

Qatar World Cup: a children's treasury of Twitter snark

By Matt Bonesteel

A look at the Twitter reaction to Qatar beating out the United States, among others, for the 2022 World Cup.

@TheGoche: Bid cities for Qatar: Doha, N. Doha, S. Doha, E. Doha, W. Doha, Central Doha, S Central Doha, NNW Doha, The Surface of the Sun

@MikeGarafolo: By the time the World Cup returns to the US they'll be playing games in the New New Meadowlands Stadium.

@SoccerInsider: #Qatar has 12 years to build stadiums ... and to build a respectable team

@CaptainAnnoying: If Qatar's social mores induce Brazilian chicks to show up modestly dressed at WC2022, I am so done with soccer.

@celebrityhottub: Wait, is FIFA picking World Cup sites or settings for Call of Duty missions?

@FisolaNYDN: Plenty of good seats still available for USA-Israel first round match at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

@edsbs: "I'm sure this was all done on the up-and-up and that Qatar really did have the best bid package." --Auburn fan.

@stefanfatsis: Spain/Portugal wants to know if it can have its bribes back.

@sportsguy33: Qatar needs to thank its special consultant for the 2022 WC bid: Cam Newton's father.

@sportsguy33: Any time you can hold a World Cup in a hot Middle East country that's smaller than Connecticut + has no soccer tradition, you have to do it.

@tragicarpetride: At least in Australia they can drown their sorrows in beer at this hour #wc2022 #wehavebeerinthefridgeatwork

@tragicarpetride: Qatar 2022: come for the heat, stay for the restricitive alcohol policies #notinamillionyears

@bommadog: Shakira will be singing Qatar's World Cup song again. The name of the song will be "HOTTA, HOTTA" instead of "WAKKA WAKKA"

@CraigMac: @SoccerInsider Thoughts on Rhode Island's bid for the 2026 World Cup? The Vatican? Maybe even Monaco?

------------------

The more I think about it, the more I am intrigued by the project, as it will bring certain practices and cultural differences much more to the limelight. Perhaps that is an opportunity for change and an opportunity to learn for that region. If they do not show a willingness to do that, a lot more people will know.

1 person likes this.
  4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Yes, except Houston is bigger! :grin:

1 person likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Hmm, yes, happy to, but how do you separate it?

Football world cup includes drunk fans and Brazilian chicks wearing almost nothing. How do you talk about how the football world cup will look, these are major aspects.

But ok, I will open a separate thread in the D&D and then we can here only talk about size of the country and heat, I guess.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Will be interesting to see.

Yes, as I said, I think this will be interesting - the more i think about it, I actually agree with what you say here. It could actually be a good opportunity. Let's see.

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Umm, Australia has never hosted so they are one of the "others" who you claim deserve a chance.

Are you honestly telling us that you think the Qatar bid was the best bid out there?

8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

That's all part of his shtick, its best to just ignore him and not give him the attention he wants.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

About the logistics in Qatar...they have only one airport and only 1.5 million people or so. I think more people than that traveled to the world cup in Germany alone...plus, all the stadiums are going to be within a radius of like 25 miles - how is this supposed to work (just getting people to the stadiums, handling such a huge amount of tourists compared to the population, etc.)?

10. DrLudicrous

Its 10 of 12 stadiums within 25 km, why would that be a problem? And they have water taxis, everything should be fine.

11. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Doha is already building one of the largest Airports in the world.

They will have a monorail system in place years before 2022. They have a decent taxi system. With all the Stadiums being within a days travel, People wont have to switch hotels, go to the Airport, etc etc. They just have to move around the City.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

In the part of the USA, repeat hosts. In the part of Australia, "I should have to host it before anyone for the first time, no matter what YOU say."

He posted the sentiments of a news report, not the entire country or the entire football delegation of Australia who "got snubbed."
    Are you honestly telling me that what I think will make a difference here? Who cares? I'm not upset... let QATAR have its chance, gosh darn it, and have some confidence in someone. :rolleyes:

And to answer your question without dodging it: YES. Their bid and promise was good.
    Well put.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/the-editorial/editorial/126305-yes-we-can.html

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sometimes, you will have two or more games taking place in parallel. If you are familiar with the traffic jams to get to and from one stadium with 40-80k people, now imagine the same if you have two stadiums where people are moving in opposite directions :confused:. I guess there is a way to figure it out, but it seems like a logistical challenge.

And how many people can realistically attend a world cup in such a small place? :confused:

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

LOL! Doha one is hilarious. Rep'd.

They should have just given the world cup to Bahrain! :cool:

At least there you can DRINK!

15. DrLudicrous

I guess I should have included one of these :rolleyes:.

16. trustme

trustme Member

It's in 2022, there will already have been teleportation systems by then. Dang.

17. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm disappointed, and hopeful that we will learn from this bid, and improve the 2026 bidding process

from sunil gulati.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Good one, Mr. AwholeNewWorld... :grin:

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yeah...that's why they backed out :rolleyes: