1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordan Hill Should Start

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Nov 3, 2010.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Until he can defend without fouling, he's going to continue to get limited playing time. I know he had 12 points and 7 boards in only 16 minutes last night, but he also had 5 personal fouls. :eek:

I think the more he can stay on the floor, the better, but he has to actually stay on the floor first.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Some of those fouls were bs, but like you said, the more he plays the more the fouls will subside.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

With extended minutes, Hill will learn that he must pace himself, including committing unnecessary fouls. In one word, experience.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Also, i wouldn't be so quick to want to get rid of Miller. The more comfortable he becomes with the team, the better the team gets.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The league is starting to take notice.

6. littlemouse

littlemouse Member

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think they are going to start bringing Scola off the bench now. Hill is starting to pour it on. He is getting better everytime he gets on the floor. I think it was best that he was able to keep his fouls down against the Lakers who are known for their flopping.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No way, you start Scola and Hill...and Hayes sits.

DD

10. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Yes! I want to see this happen.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Or you could do this. :)

12. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

And then bring up Patterson eventually to back up Hill and then my 2007-2008 Rockets analogy will have become truth.

We need that injection of youth like no other - so glad Rick is putting Hill out there and Hill is manning up.

13. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Hill is a 16/10 player i think he is. Dude looked very confident and comfortable tonight. And that article is spot on. It takes big men longer to develop and he's only 22 years old. Look at Beasley, it's his 3rd season and he's just now coming around. Same with Jermaine O'Neal. In his 3rd season before people started to take notice. Do i think Hill can be some where between a younger Chris Wilcox in his Sonics days and O'Neal? 16/10 guy imo.

14. HombreDeHierro

chris wilcox? dude never lived up to his potential and other than being a scrappy role player never did anything...

Jordan Hill has all-star potential (more than J. O'Neal)

15. PeppermintCandy

Hill is improving but is too raw to be the starting center. He should stay where he is, playing most of his minutes as power forward next to Brad Miller in the second unit.

Miller's outside shooting and passing are finally bringing some stability to the bench, and Hill is really benefiting from it. Plus, Miller's high-post play on offense gives Hill room to roam in the paint, which means better offensive opportunities.

Also, I think Adelman gives Hayes those starting minutes at center because the longer he can get away with it, the greater flexibility he'll have with the frontcourt rotation over the rest of the game. It helps keep Hill, Miller, and Scola fresh for the second half.

Putting Hill in with the starters doesn't give the team an advantage, while it puts the second unit and the frontcourt rotation at more of a disadvantage.

When Yao returns, I'm hoping he can take over Hayes's current minutes in the starting lineup, and leaving Hill and Miller to continue to improve as the second unit's frontcourt.

16. ezzie

ezzie Member

^^GOOD POST!

then we would finally see the depth we supposedly had at the start of the season

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is fine and all, but i still think he should start over Hayes at the least.

18. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

An optimistic post for those who live in the US and are starting the day (I just finished my lunch). I thought I'd visit draftexpress on the lookout for some high ceiling potential bust prospects, when I stumbled across Jordan Hill's page.

Here's a lift of his then perceived weaknesses:
    - All-around offensive polish
    - Decision making
    - Advanced post moves
    - Left hand
    - Questionable hands
    - Defensive fundamentals
    - Foul prone
    - Man to man defense
    - Average basketball IQ
    - Older than class peers
    - Passing skills
    - Free throw shooting
    - Inconsistent shooter

The question: has he improved in any of these categories?

I'd say he strongly improved his FT shooting, his post moves (although still not there), his man to man D is becoming better and his hands have vastly improved.

He is still inconsistent though, still foul prone, still has some fundamental defensive problems and he is still older than his class peers (WOW!).

The good: all these things are fairly simple to work on except for his consistency which is a tough but not unbreakable nut to crack.

I think if he improves steadily for another year or two, he can turn into something really nice.

From what I've seen from him, it's perfectly imaginable.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep him right where he is. He is getting better, but he needs more practice, more work.

You will know when Jordan Hill is ready to take a bigger role, because he will TAKE IT.

Carl Landry TOOK his minutes. Rick couldn't keep him off the floor. Until Jordan develops a killer will, a killer mentality, let him keep developing in the minutes he is given, about 15 to 20 a game.

20. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

You have to understand that Jordan Hill will never have a killer will. There are easy going guys and there are Michael Jordans. To be honest, being an easy going guy is just good for your mental health.

Anyway, I wasn't saying Hill should start now. I just didn't want to start a new thread and this one was the longest Hill thread to date if I remember correctly.