1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordan Hill's most likely career progression ceiling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Dec 1, 2010.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

He reminds me of a young Jermaine Oneal in Portland.

Not really a natural basketball player but a really good athelete and a hard worker.

First and foremost can be a really good defensive player by anchoring a Defense, it will take him time though, since basketball doesn't come naturally to him, he will have to learn everything by the book.

On offense, he will learn a few moves that will be effective and workmanlike, will primarily be a jump shooting off of his post moves.

The funny thing is that Brad Miller is the player that made JO take the leap, it seems that he might do it for Hill as well.

2. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Hakeem Olajuwon, maybe just a bit shorter version. ;)

3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Please don't get crazy. Hakeem Olajuwon's name shouldn't even be mentioned in a Hill thread.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Eh, the guy has only been playing basketball for about 7 years now. He still has room for growth. Look at the differences between Chuck Hayes now and a year ago. With time and youth really anything is possible.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

O'Neal was a frail finesse player. Hill is not frail. He plays physical.

O'Neal had a variety of moves in the post and was very smooth down low. Hill is mechanical, much like Dwight Howard. He can be efficient in the future but it will never be pretty.

6. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

The OP is asking about career progression not game similarities.

1 person likes this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

he has Brian Grant potential but it's gonna take years to grow his hair out that long.

1 person likes this.
  8. ThaShark316_28

I think his offense is key. He'll no doubt progress defensively. If dude can hit Js and get more post moves (maybe work with Dream/CD in the off-season?)

9. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Best case: If he develops a jump shot, Amare

Worst Case: Mikey Moore

10. ezzie

ezzie Member

we can hope! :grin:

srsly, i cant wait till next season after he gets some time with dream...

11. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I could see double/double player. His jumper is inconsistent right now but he has good form and has shown he can hit it. Right hook is his go to move he has nice touch around the rim. His hands needs to get better hes dropped some passes and rebounds. Defensively and rebounding is where hes improved the most this season. Hes getting a body into the player instead of using his athleticism all the time to get boards and hes fouling less reminding me of a taller chuck hayes, but not quite there yet but I see the progression.

12. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I would say that his ceiling is Kevin Garnett.

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I was going to start a new thread with this but decided not to clutter up the GARM anymore with Jordan Hill Love. So I'll post it here.

What has Hill improved most in over the season...

Improvement in running the floor
    Improvement in slamming dunks
    Improvement in his hook shot
    Improvement in his jumper
    Improvement in his rebounding
    Improvement in his defense
    Improvement in all of the above

I was really impressed with Jordan Hill tonight and I am the guy who never expected much from him. Goes to show you how little I know about NBA talent. He has impressed me this season albeit inconsistent.

The last half a dozen games he has shown me more confidence in almost all areas. But what I am most surprised is in his defensive play. The way he covered Gasol only a handful of NBA players could have done. He keeps his man in front and blocks out for the defensive rebound. He hustles solid the whole. At first I expected very little from him. Then I thought he could be a decent scorer but he is a bit uncoordinated. And now I think this kid can be a player in this league.

He looks like he is just scratching the surface in what he can become and the Knicks were smart to pick him as the eight overall and stupid to dump him. Give him some more time and he will be better than what you see now and primed just in time for the playoffs. Aren't you glad we didn't sign Dampier.

14. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

NY was stupid to draft him @8 then trade him. He essentially became our 8th pick.

15. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yes of course they were stupid to dump him for nothing. Of course. It was a kind of joke and ridicule of them. They actually were right with there pick. Smarter than most on this kid and then they dump him for nothing. If they don't make that trade they still have enough cap room to sign Amare. They have enough assets to trade for Carmelo and they still have Hill.

Carmelo, Amare and Hill. That is a good basis to build a team around.

16. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

In all seriousness though, Chris Wilcox type player. People say Brain Grant i think he's more Wilcox. Where is his ceiling? Jermaine O'Neal at least on paper. He's an active 4 always on the move, but excels around the basket. He will start hitting those shots more when he gets offensive rebounds for the put backs. And he's a very good rebounder/defender. And he's not afraid of contact at least from my observation goes up pretty strong. And he will bang in the post. He's a protypical power forward a player every scout looks for.

17. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

He can be as good as he wants to be, I hope he puts in a lot of hard work this summer and maybe even work with Hakeem.

JHILL is one of my favorite Rockets right now, I love to see his improvement night in and night out.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Dennis Rodman

19. herro

herro Member

He can be 15 and 10 on 55%+ from the field with immediacy!

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing, but without immediacy.