1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Things Your Generation Ruined

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimrocker, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What exactly is ruined here? Boobjobs and the willingness to swallow and go Hathaway? :grin:

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

cocaine and unprotected sex.

1 person likes this.
  3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Skate boards and bikes - used to be you could ride them all day without a helmet or pads.

drinking water - remember drinking water right from the hose? now's it's all designer bottles

now GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Buying a house.

5. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Dude, check it out! Glossy paper. Books that don't come out on schedule 'cuz the uh, creators were uh spending soooo much time getting everything right. Yeah, that's it. No continuity so now characters are free to do all sorts of crazy things so long as nothing ever changes. Decompressed storytelling so now you can read 'em quicker. And the stories are all like, mature and stuff. Get with the times old man.

That'll be $3.99.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

The $10 ounce of pot that didn't require some fancy name or growing technique.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Haha, awesome thread Rimrocker

not really, FFB would say, "Get your ass ON my lawn."

Btw...can't help but point out the subtitle of that IN cover, "Are decent girls dopes?" what? So, would the back cover say, Next Week's edition "Are Dopey Girls Decent" "Is Blue Black the new Blonde"

My contribution: We tried to resurrect Swing dancing in the '90s and got bored. Now the new generation resurrected it with Argentinian Lap Dancing with the Stars. How did we miss that?

Also, we might have ruined Martini's. It used to be so easy to order them, like only 3 possible variables. Now it's so complicated to where dry and straight up have seamingly infinite meanings, and the girls want those specialty ones with pomegranate juice, lyche's and sugar rimmed what not.

8. Festeral Otto

Festeral Otto Contributing Member

Political Activism
    The Middle Class
    Direct Language

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I think y'all need to state your generation when declaring what you think your generation "ruined."

10. Festeral Otto

Festeral Otto Contributing Member

Gen X. Apathy FTW

11. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

This could be an interesting discussion for another thread - The Boomers were the protestors: flower power, free love, hippies, rock & roll rebels, Watergate, Vietnam, Woodstock, etc. I see the Baby Boomers as giving the first real collective middle finger to the establishment. We (Gen X) are the children of both them and their movement and what they feel they couldn't change resulted in their further distrust and anger, which resulted in Gen X's apathy of which you speak, essentially "Our parents couldn't change anything, so why bother. So, f**k it. Where's my Atari?"

Generation X, ftw.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Gen Y?

Oh god.

The list is too long.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I once wrote a paper in college that the coined phrase Generation X originally meant Generation Whatever...as in X is a variable and it will be replaced every generation.

To this day, I still consider that the description of the Generation X punk rock band, who popularized the coined phrase from a sociology book, and then media latched on to it as you describe to replace Baby Boomers.

14. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Baseball- I'm a diehard but most people under 30 could care less now.

The family TV Sitcom- (probaly a good thing) no more shows that come close to Full House,Cosby,Step by step,family matters, boy meets world etc... Everything is now pretty adult orientented or reality. If I had a 10 year old I'd have no idea what to watch with them....

Outside pick up basketball- Never see it.

Good rap music. Started going downhill about 2000. I have friends that listen to soljua boy that is embarassing

Blockbuster- illegal downloading/burning has bankrupted them.

Mail- I havnt written an letter to anybody since i was 12. Thsi might be technology but my parents atleast still send chrsitmas cards.

marrying your high school sweetheart- I'm 27 I have 0 friends that married their high schol girlfriends. I think the avg age of marriage is like 28 or so I bet that was like 22 way back.........

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

My generation ruined the concept of "playing outside"

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

hairy pu$$y....not that im complainin.....im just sayin its ruined....

1 person likes this.
  17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

That and outdoor pickup ball are two good ones.

Combo of parental fear emanating form the bombardment of scare stories in the media/movies about serial killers and computers/video games that keep kids inside.

I'm thinking we probably lost the freedom to be a kid and wander around the neighborhood until dusk sometime in the early 1980's.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed let's see music from 2000 on is an embarrasment, gym class i.e. dodgeball pussified or gone, basic speech, written communication, masculinity i.e. bling for men, facebook/myspace/texting, turning no talent idiots into celebrities i.e. Paris Hilton, Snookie, Kate Gosslien, and Sarah Palin.

I'm sorry :(

19. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

That is what gets me about youngsters today. I used to get grounded from going outside. Now, you ground a kid from going outside, and they are thinking "sweeeeet!"

20. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

exactly.....oh, dad, please dont make me go to my room where my tv, macbook, ipod and xbox is...PLEASE!!!!!!