1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Case Against Winning

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ghettocheeze, Nov 29, 2010.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Let me put on the flame suit and say this: the season is over.

Yes, I know you're thinking WTF we are 5-6 and a game out of the division lead so how can the season be over?

Well hear me out.

Indy and Jacksonville both lost and we won yesterday but that little bit of hope is just waiting to get crushed and stab us in the heart. I'm not advocating a tank job the rest of the way so we can move up in the draft. My point is that we lost the season over the past month by piling up 4 losses and now we cannot escape from reality even if we win the rest of the way. Our defense is horrible and Kubiak needs to be fired. Those are the main issues right now. No amount of padding the numbers or final season record should divert attention from these true underlying issues.

Look I don't want to see these last few meaningless wins to somehow save Kubiak's career and prolong his tenure any further.

Besides look at it this way:

a 9-7 or 10-6 recod at best is not getting us into the playoffs. The wildcard is surely out of reach because one of the Jets-Patriots and Ravens-Steelers divisional runner up will get both spots. That leaves only the divisional title something we have never won. So let's look at the teams above us Indy and Jacksonville.

Indianapolis
    vs Dallas (3-8) (W)
    @ Tennessee (5-6) (W)
    vs Jacksonville (6-5) (L)
    @Oakland (5-6) (W)
    vs Tennessee (5-6) (W)

Thats 4 games against sub .500 teams and the only competetive game might be Jacksonville. So say they lose to the Jags and pick up all the other wins, Indy would be:
    10-6 (3-3 division record) (7-5 conference record)

Jacksonville
    @ Tennessee (5-6) (W)
    vs Oakland (5-6) (W)
    @ Indianapolis (5-6) (W)
    vs Washington (5-6) (W)
    @ Houston (5-6) (L)

Since Houston has to run the table to even have a shot at the division, lets say the Jags win every game except against Houston and end up at:

10-6 (4-2 division record) (8-4 conference record)

Houston
    @ Philadelphia (W)
    vs Baltimore (W)
    @ Tennessee (W)
    @Denver (W)
    vs Jacksonville (W)

Philly and Baltimore are going to be tough wins then we have to run the table and last game of the season against Jacksonville will decide the AFC South.

10-6 (4-2 division record) (8-4 conference record)

Prediction: We are going to drop the next two against Philly and Baltimore and season will be officially over then. Sorry but putting up 5 wins especially 2 against playoff teams in the month of December with Kareem Jackson and Glover Quinn in the secondary speaks for itself. In the mean time don't lose focus on the real issues.

1) Fire Kubiak
    2) Get better positioning in the draft to shore up the secondary with a legit CB (Peterson or Prince)

GO TEXANS!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. RocketMania1991

Hell No. As much as I rag the Texans after losses condoning them to tank is a horrible idea.

These players aren't going to quit on the coach and staff. And this one of the closest shots we've had at making the playoffs this late in the season in years. Excluding last year, but we all knew the Bengals were gonna toss that game.

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

There's no case to be made. If the coaches can't improve the team with the picks they get (wherever they finish) and free agency, then they shouldn't be leading an NFL team.

4. jmejia

jmejia Contributing Member

I completely agree.

Having this don't quit attitude will just prolong the inevitable.

How can you guys not see it? The play calling is just terrible and the coaching is also a joke. I laugh at the dumb mistakes these players are allowed to make week in and week out.

I know we don't have many other players to put in there but by benching players that make the same mistakes over and over and over and over again should be the way to go. Even if you bring in a practice player to prove a point, so be it. I would rather suffer from seeing bad play because of lack of athleticism than poor play for lack of focus. Poor tackling is all on the coach, especially poor tackling on a consistent basis.

5. Svpernaut

If you feel this way then stop freaking watching.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

AFC South is there for the taking, as much as I want Kubiak gone, our chance is right there staring us in the face!

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'll say this: the odds of the Texans winning out are greater than Jacksonville winning its next four games. My goodness, at least be reasonable in the analysis.

And if you watched Indianapolis last night, you'd know their troubles run much deeper than simply having played San Diego. Hell, they were a fluke fumble two weeks ago from losing at home to 2-9 Cincinnati. To act as if they might only have one "competitive" game is one of the silliest things I've ever heard. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they lose to Dallas on Sunday.

8. RocketMania1991

Its funny that you post this topic right after we snap our losing streak.....

This is arguably the closest we have ever been to making the playoffs.
    The Rockets are hopeless this season. Why not still root for the Texans?

This is an up and coming team in the league, and we have some of the most talented young players.

Why would you want to put a losing mentality in the mindset of these players?
    Think of how bad it looks to tank a season, what does that show to your players? That you lost faith in their ability to play and that they suck?

I'm sure Andre,Mario,Schaub,Foster,Leach,and Cushing would agree with you.....

1 person likes this.
  9. jmejia

jmejia Contributing Member

Grow up man.

I love the fact that football is back in Houston and that we actually have a team to root for.

I don't have to stand for mediocrity because I TRULY DO CARE!

I just want this team to show significant improvement each and every year. Is making the playoffs once in 7 years a lot to ask for?

10. msn

msn Member

ghetto, i'm with you completely on the stuff quoted here:
    now, losing sucks, and i hate tanking games (i know you didn't advocate that).

my feeling is, this group will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory all by themselves without any "tanking" required.

regardless of the mathematical possibilities, the playoffs have been a lost cause for two weeks now.

obviously i still watch and hope for a 'w' every week, but my pre-season prediction of 8-8 or 9-7 has fallen to 7-9.

GO TEXANS!!! :(

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Once we lose a conference game, I'm all for tanking.

Until then... hit it, Herm...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IMk5sMHj58I" frameborder="0"></iframe>

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I know what you are saying and I tend to agree with you, but two things:

1) I refuse to believe that Jacksonville will go 10-6, regardless of who is on their schedule. It's more of a blind prediction than anything, but they have been playing over their heads for a while (just like we have been playing below average when we are in fact at least an average team)

2) The Titans won't lose 4 of their last 5. Kerry Collins will be back soon, so they won't have complete incompetence at QB. And like us, they are at least an average team. Let's hope they take it out on Jacksonville and Indy, rather than us.

So, while I agree that a high draft pick and a new stud coach would be nice, the likelihood of that latter is VERY low unless we lose out from here. Long-term I do not believe Kubiak is the answer, but it would be stupid to not play this thing out when 9-7 could very well win the division.

If we went into tank mode and the Colts only ended up winning 9 games, it would be an epic fail on our part. Not that it will be easy to win 9 games, but we're capable, especially with how streaky this team is.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They only make these mistakes. . . . in the beginning of the season.
    Now they will look legit but . .. JJJJUUSSSSTT MISSS The playoffs

Rocket River

14. Remix

Remix Member

Winning meaningless games costed the Rockets Brandon Roy. Just saying

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Wish the Steelers would start to lose already. Costing themselves valuable draft spots.

16. RocketMania1991

define "meaningless" because I don't consider games meaningless when you are 1 game back of the division leader.

17. liljojo

liljojo Member

Wow, I'm surprised at Houston fans. Tanking is bushleague.

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Exactly my point, short term thinking can totally screw a team in the long run. Heck I called out the Battier trade as the worst mistake by the Rockets of the past decade.

There are times when you have to sacrifice pride for a better future. It's the nature of any business. I do not endorse tanking on purpose but if the season is looking like a wash then start planning for next year. Plus my main beef is with Kubiak saving his job even though he should have been fired a month ago. I see the long term problems with Kubiak and a playoff berth would almost extend his tenure by a few more years. I know deep inside that Kubiak cannot win in the postseason so we need to address that ASAP.

19. Svpernaut

As long as fans are paying their hard earned money to sit in those seats and root for their team, there isn't anything meaningless about a game.

Grow up? You're the one wanting them to TANK games to get a better pick... I'm the one wanting them to succeed regardless of where they pick in the draft. Being at the top of the draft doesn't guarantee you anything, in fact the vast majority of players come from late rounds.

So the argument is completely moot. One player (with the exception of another Peyton Manning being drafted) can't turn a team around in one season. Football is a team sport, where 22 players play on every down. Basketball can't be compared to it in the slightest.

1 person likes this.
  20. RocketMania1991

Short term thinking? We are 1 game out of the playoffs. SOMETHING WE HAVE NEVER DONE! The playoffs are well within grasp.

Give me a break. Oh and I'm sure you were all for that Battier trade back when it actually happened.

I would understand if this team was 3-4 games under .500 and 4 games back, but we are right there and have just as good as chance as anyone.

If any team should be tanking its the Rockets, not the Texans.