1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

An amazing essay from a "shadow scholar"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rhadamanthus, Nov 16, 2010.

1. ThaRed

ThaRed Member

And my friends wonder why I'm a cynic.

Great read :grin:

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You guys had to cheat?

LOL.

3. Ismail

Ismail Member

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Don't let some of the posters here who went to UH catch you saying this. Apparently saying bad things about UH is completely wrong. It's for reasons such as this (along with plenty of others) that I think UH is a terrible school. Yeah, I realize it happens at all universities to some extent, but university of houston is just something in its own category. I can't take anyone from there seriously. When in any given class upwards of half the students cheat habitually, a quarter constantly fail, and there's about 3-4 people who are actually capable of doing the coursework, there is something wrong. But hey, don't let the people in "the real majors" at UH know you think this way. Apparently it's a good school after all, with good programs! :rolleyes:

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The kind of kids who have the resourcefulness to successfully cheat will probably be okay. They know how to get **** done, bend the rules and still maintain people's trust and respect.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...it-cheating-after-professors-online-rant.html

200 students admit cheating after professor's online rant

More than 200 students at the University of Central Florida have come forward to admit to cheating after their professor gave a lecture on ethics that has become a YouTube hit.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbzJTTDO9f4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rbzJTTDO9f4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Professor Richard Quinn was so disgusted by evidence that many of his students had cheated in their midterm exam that he gave them a lecture that he hoped would teach them a life-long lesson.

In the lecture, Prof Quinn told the class he had enough evidence from statistical analysis and other investigatory techniques to identify most cheats, but instead of handing the list over to the university authorities for discipling, he proposed a deal.

He said: “I don’t want to have to explain to your parents why you didn’t graduate, so I went to the Dean and I made a deal. The deal is you can either wait it out and hope that we don’t identify you, or you can identify yourself to your lab instructor and you can complete the rest of the course and the grade you get in the course is the grade you earned in the course.”
    Prof Quinn also added a requirement for those who came forward complete a four hour course in ethics. In return there would be no permanent record of the cheating.

So far more than 200 students have admitted to cheating.

Prof Quinn has described the reaction and support he has received from the University, community and from around the world as "overwhelming", but added he was "looking forward to moving past this incident and focusing on the rest of the semester.”

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

In HS, there were three kinds of people in National Honor Society...

1. Those so smart they didn't have to study much
    2. Those that worked their tail off
    3. Those that put their intelligence to use by figuring out how to cheat and not get caught

1s and 3s were the smartest, 1s and 2s had the best shot at a good, solid life, and 3s ended up either starting their own companies or being blazing slackers into their 30's.

1 person likes this.
  8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I was thinking about this last night, and it occurred to me that this guy and others like him have massive opportunities for blackmail later on in life.

9. Invisible Fan

I hope so because those b****es got off easy.

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would be cool if he waited until after Finals and then told everyone he "cheated" when he said turning yourself in would get you off and everyone who cheated was getting it on their record or kicked out. Of course that would run the risk of somone getting unfairly punished, but my evil slef would msile for the majority who deserved it.

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

What if you are all of the above? :p

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Any degree from the Bauer School of Business is worthless.

#112 BEAT LA, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Personally, I'm hoping to obtain a degree from the Jack Bauer School of Business someday....

14. Invisible Fan

International Relations?

15. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

How hilarious would it be if the guy that wrote the essay in the OP paid someone to do it for him

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pJG7aCQtI8E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pJG7aCQtI8E?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I thought this might just be some kid whining about getting caught in the class, but the prof's week one lecture is clear that he writes the questions for the exams. I believe that if all the test questions really were published (700 for a 50 question exam) then this event is hardly as scandalous as he makes it out to be. When I first heard of this I thought the kids had the actual answers and just filled out the scan-tron or whatever they call the test forms these days.

17. A00man

A00man Member

If you say so. I've managed to get a pretty good job with a degree from there. I also have plenty of friends with good jobs that graduated with a degree from the Bauer School of Business as well.

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I know it was a great tv show and all, but jeez, do they have to name the school after him. Basically we are honoring someone who tortures other people to extract information and shows no misgivings about this? There are so many other great people they could have named it after.

#118 Mr. Brightside, Nov 20, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If you're still posting Vault.com threads about "VC/PE????????" or you can actually get in and pay for Ivy or any Pac 10/Big 10 MBA program, probably so. But Rice/Jones is still a little expensive for the quality; and if you want to be a mid-level manager at an energy company and you can't leave your job for two years, you could do worse than Bauer.