1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defense on an elite PG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Don FakeFan, Nov 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Yet Aaron was attacked for his fatigue issues(or lack of production late due quite possibly to fatigue). I have no problem caveating anyones performance due to high minutes. Sure you'd like to see them fight through it(and often they do) but soemtimes they succumb to the fatigue. But don't pretend it was caveated by Brooks bashers against LA and GSW.

Brooks basher = brooks flat sucks, get the ball out of his hands, selfish shoot first player

Not Brooks basher = Brooks better on O than D, adequate passer, solid choice down the stretch, could be more useful with a starting lineup of scorers off the bench.

2. PeppermintCandy

I don't have hatred for any of the players. I just try to call it like I see it, though my basketball knowledge is pretty limited.

And I personally don't get that some posters feel they have to side with one PG over the other. Though neither are elite, Brooks and Lowry combined still make one of the best "one-two punch" in the NBA. Both should get plenty of minutes regardless of who starts.

3. PeppermintCandy

^^^
    One more thing. Brooks being bashed after the GSW game also has to do with this need to have a scapegoat after a loss. It's like there has to be one or two players whose lack of talent was responsible for the team's losing that night.

But sometimes, isn't it possible that the team could play well given the conditions - the injury situation, personnel, the game plan - and yet still lose? Why must someone have to suck in order for a loss to make sense?

OK I'll get off my high horse now.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I have never ever..not once..posted anything to compare Lowery and Brooks. Why would I? Neither is an elite NBA PG for reasons that should be obvious to an impartial viewer.

Both are too short and have flaws in some aspect of their game (and/or their ability to stay healthy).

The list of WC PGs includes Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook, Stephen Curry, and Chris Paul.

Not in this group but close are Goran Dragic, Tyreke Evans, Baron Davis and Dre Miller.

Further, Brandon Roy initiates alot of the Blazers' offense and a triangle offense (LAL) requires less emphasis on PG.

Lowery to Brooks is hardly the comparison to be making.

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

We're going to have a crappy team if we give up on someone every time they get torched by a guy who torches everyone.

6. GRB

GRB Member

The rockets don't have answers that you are asking for. They just have no PG that can start the game.

7. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Time to start playing Courtney Lee at PG so he can defend these Elite PG's while AB is getting healthy.

8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

should have started Jeffries, Scola, and Hayes on our frontline along with Lowry and Lee.....Rose would have drew so many charges he would have been paranoid by the 4th....

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You are saying that a 5-8 SG coverted to PG who plays no defense and is a streaky 3-point shooter is close to "all star level"??? In what universe is that a reality? Honestly, sometimes I'd swear that you've been drinking the fermeted red koolaid. Before he went out, folks here were ready to trade AB, bench AB or whatever. Last year he was the best thing since sliced white bread. This year, he was a bum before he got hurt. Now he's close to all star level. reality is somewhere in the middle. I don't care what DM says, until I see AB guide this team to a championship, I will continue to maintain that he is what he is and that's an undersized two guard playing the point.

One thing you need to accept is that this team (as presently constructed by his geniusship, DM) without it's injured players is simply not very good and even with those injured players, it's just another average team in the NBA. NOT elite, NOT close to elite - AVERAGE.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I dont want to believe your post because the truth hurts.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

All you AB lovers are idiots. No real Rockets fan is suggesting that we waive or take away AB's minutes, just switch around the rotation a bit for overall offensive balance. I say real Rockets fans, because unfortunately this forum is plagued with a virus called YOF. Let me outline again the arguments of most so-called Lowry/Ish fanboys that you seem to like calling us:

- We are not saying that Lowry is a better player, just a more balanced one. Regardless of whether or not AB or Lowry is in the lineup, our starters have done fairly well offensively, but having both Martin and AB does not work defensively. Regardless of whether or not some of you think of it as schemes or what not, the fact remains that AB+Martin equates to huge insurmountable defensive nightmare.
    - AB will serve this team better coming off the bench with Lee partnering up with him on the perimeter. Lee is able to play off the ball and forward cuts that AB's tunnel vision can actually see. Also, given that Lee can drain the open shot as well, he creates further spacing for AB to work with when his shot is on.
    - Our secondary sucks with RA refusing to play Hill crucial minutes and with Bud first in a slump and then out. Our starters do good and give us the lead, then our secondary comes in and loses it, mainly due to lack of D. The scoring presence of AB will change that entirely.
    - AB not starting does not mean he won't get starter minutes. I am fine with him getting more minutes than Lowry, but he HAS TO PLAY WITH A DEFENSIVE PRESENCE.

All of us are fans of our beloved Rockets, which is why we do NOT want to suggest AB just simply get traded or get his minutes taken care of. We completely acknowledge and APPRECIATE his offensive contributions, but that does not BLIND us to his stupidity as a playmaker and complete ineptness on the defensive end. It is not just the simple matter of going under screens, but also getting posted on by every bigger PG, blown by due to slow rotations, and sometimes simply missing rotations and leaving opposing shooters wide open. This needs to stop for us to win and hopefully RA will realize this soon.

The reason there are talks about trading AB is due to the fact that before Yao, Scola, Martin, Brooks, or Lowry, we WANT/NEED a SUPERSTAR to help us close the 4th or during the inevitable 3rd quarter meltdowns. Getting a superstar means giving up promising young talent, meaning AB or Martin. Between Martin and AB, most of us would give up AB without a 2nd thought for 2 very important reasons:

- AB is in contract year and will look to demand a much higher price tag.
    - Martin is a better fit for a read and react motion offense, being capable of making smart passes and cuts as well as playing on and off the ball. He is a more efficient scorer and can get to the basket and draw the foul.

Of course, if we do get a superstar, all those arguments about AB's offensive contributions become a moot point.

12. Junebball

Junebball Member

This

It is called to play people to their strength. Just like you throw in Chuck to guard Stoudemire, you do the same for any wing player including point guards. I will alternate Shane and C Lee on CP3,D Williams or tonight against Westbrook especially in the fourth quarter. I will find the weakest link on oponents wing such as Thefolosha tonight and put whoever playing pg for us. If any one remember last season game against the Clippers, we put Brooks on Rasual Butler and we had Shane guarding Baron Davis. I know these point guards will have speed advantage, but you can be effective if you let them shoot over you if you are Shane.

13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Just ignore him. When it comes to DD's man crushes, he is completely deluded and biased towards all reason and common sense. In his eyes, AB is pretty much already an All-Star, despite his numerous serious flaws.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The rest of your post could be pure gold, but no one will read it, or give it any thought because of your first sentence.

DD

15. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I suggest you read the rest of his post DD, it is very insightful.

16. DaDakota

Sorry, I have gone back and forth with him, I understand his points. I just happen to disagree with them as the roster is currently constructed, we need AB at the start and at the finish.

And There are no SUPERSTAR players avaialbe.

If we had another alternative, a guy that was an excellent passer and a decent shooter, then I could get on board the off the bench 6th man role.

But we don't....Lowry is not that much of a better passer than AB is, Ish is..but he can't shoot.

And with Yao Ming, you have GOT to be a threat to shoot the ball.....he needs space to operate down low....

And Hillboy....AB is 6'0" in shoes, about 1" shorter than lots of very successful PGs.

Let's not make him 5'8" or Calvin Murphy height just because you don't like him.

It would be great if he were 6'4", heck if any of our points were, but they aren't...

DD

17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Just calling it as I see it. Anyone who refuses to let go of their crush over the possible benefit of the entire team is an idiot. Anyone who can't tell the difference between YOF's rooting for Lowry due to an agenda or a real Rox fan looking out for the best interest of the team is an idiot. The only people that won't read my post are the ones who refuse to put their pride or crushes behind them. If me running butt naked up and down HWY 59 will make the Rockets win every time, you will probably see me on the news for indecent exposure.

18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Right, because our starters have not done well with a non shooting PG? It is our SECONDARY that can't score right now. In case you fell asleep during last night's game, we were doing OK until our starters took a break. Currently our only scorer off the bench is Lee. With AB on the bench, we can nullify our typical secondary meltdowns.

19. DaDakota

All you do though is b**** about AB, and whether Lowry should start....

I am not against trading him or having him come off the bench, if there are better options for the team.

Right now, there are none.

So, unless you and your buck nakedness have a superstar tattoed on your ass for Morey to trade for......stop moaning.

Lowry is not good enough to start and neither is Ish.....AB is the best we have.

Is he perfect...no...but the others aren't even close.

DD

20. DaDakota

What? They went on an 18-0 run with LOWRY at the point.

And we had 4 ...count them FOUR 24 second violations.

Good teams will pack the paint on him and force him to shoot.....which he SUCKS at doing.

Lowry is an overpriced backup energy PG....again, if we had a better option to start, I would be all for it.

We don't.

DD