1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why.... Nachbar?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aka ace, Sep 27, 2002.

1. aka ace

aka ace Rookie

Before we won the draft lottery all the hype was on Qyntel Woods from what I remember. I remember back when we wanted to pick Qyntel Woods with the #5 pick if we could get him or even trade UP for him. Most people here said he had similar game to Tracy McGrady, he could bring tremendous athleticism and would be a perfect fit for the Rockets at SF. There was more talk of Woods rather than Nachbar. Both Woods and Nachbar were picks that most people never heard or saw of. Why all of a sudden after we win the draft lottery and we have the #15 pick, no one has mentioned his name? We could have picked him up at #15 instead of #5, which would have been a "steal" considering some people wanted to use a #5 pick on him, but no one disagreed when the Rockets picked up Nachbar instead.... so i'm wondering why/what made everyone change their mind about Qyntel Woods? Is it because they jumped on the bandwagon when the Rocks picked Nachbar? Because when I saw the Rockets pick Nachbar and Woods was still available I was confused. I hope Woods doesn't become the next McGrady.

2. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Nachbar shot lights out at the test session for the Rockets and they were more interested in him for his slashing and dunking game. That turned the Rocket's heads! I think they also liked the fact he is more experienced and polished at this stage as well. Many people had Nachbar in the lottery. Time will tell.

One nice note is that Boki wanted us to draft him, he wants to be here. :D

3. Sane

Sane Member

Reports from his personal trainer, Adrian Dantley of all people, said that he couldn't, didn't want to, didn't try to, and never thought of playing defense. Apparently he had a terrible work ethic too.

Despite all this, you have to wonder...How much worse than a Euro can his D be?

Anyways, 16 other teams also passed on him, so it was probably the safe thing to do.

Oh, and you won't be asking this if Nachbar becomes the "Stojakovic that likes to dunk" that everyone is projecting hi to be, will you?

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Woods has never played against top noch talent. He showed no defense and no outside shot.

While Boki might be laking in the defensive department he has played against better talent and he has a great outside shot.

Plus Boki wanted to be a Rocket.

5. xlr817

xlr817 Member

I think Boki will be a NICE fit 4 the Rockets!! I heard he has a nice game! The ROXS really need an excellent medium range shooter who can also pop the 3's!:cool: He also seem 2b fundamentally sound & he WANT'S 2play here in H-town as has been reported!

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

OUT: Undisciplined players with no fundamentals and no outside shot.

IN: Players with fresh attitudes, team-oriented styles, solid fundamentals and good shooting range.

Out: Woods
    In: Nachbar

7. verse

verse Contributing Member

that is one of the most succinct and greatest posts i have seen at this bbs.

8. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Woods showed little talent of defense and he was playin Juco ball..

I wanted the Rockets to draft him.. cuz i never heard of Nachbar or even knew anything about him..
    When Woods was playing in the Summer Leagues.. IMO I saw only offense and pushing the ball up. But we'll see how Nachbar goes through the season.:D

9. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

The Rockets did not select Woods because he does not play defense, he has a suspect perimeter game and he has had problems of the court in the past. The Rockets wanted to go in a different direction with the addition of a classy ballplayer that wanted to to play in Houston. Not to mention that BOKI shot lights out during his workout for the Rockets. Allegdely, BOKI drilled 70-75 shot from all over the court including three pointers and the Rockets were praying that word did not get out that BOKI was such a stud! Whereas Woods eventually went to Portland with the rest of Jail-Blazers and if history repeats itself, he blend in quite well.:)

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Also to add to Nachbar's awesome shooting is the fact that people around the league said they were stunned at how well he finished around the basket. He slashed to the hoop and finished probably better then anybody in the draft, and he's fearless. I've heard people compare him to Peja and Turkolu (sp?), but he sounds kind of like a player in the mold of Ruben Patterson or someone like that as far as his ability and willingness to go to the basket.

11. Stevie Francis

maybe we got nachbar because he is just plain flat out better than woods and anyother small forward in the 2002 draft. So there

to me he's better than
    mike d
    butler
    woods
    and many others in that draft.

He ain't talking now but all those guys and gonna be on posters when he dunks on the of jays them.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Boki's #1 BABY YEAH!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

#11 Stevie Francis, Sep 27, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2002
  12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

:confused: :rolleyes: are you drunk or something? Jesus.

13. Stevie Francis

dumb ass you can't tell if someone is drunk based upon the way he types. i should ask you are you a jerk or ass hole cause you need to shut the fu** up man. for real i'm freakin pissed off you over there talkin mess when i try to praise one of our own players that i'm really excited about. Wow 2 mispelled words your wife must be happy with your perfectionist attitude.

At least have a smiley face at the end of your post to indicate that no harm was intended. You **** jerk!!!

14. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Wow, Stevie, it's a wonder you've managed to stick around long enough to get upwards of 600 posts in.

No smiley face, I am a **** jerk.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Stevie,

It is a beautiful Friday. You are one of the best posters at laughing at themselves. That is a funny line you wrote. Laugh. It is Friday. All is well.

<font size="1">did I really just make my first Pollyanna, flowers, happy smilies, post to intervene on a tense situation</font>

16. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

The Rockets are heading in another dierection. Ball movement,
    motion, and a team first attitude will be the new name of the game. From what I've read Nachbar is packaged with all these good qualities. Also, he's a feeder; meaning he can excell off of other players ability to create. This is what the Rockets need, and that is probably why they drafted Nachbar over Woods.

17. verse

verse Contributing Member

i like stevie francis. i hope he sticks around for 600 more. :)

18. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Dude, you have some serious problems...emotionally and intellectually...I'm being very serious here. Seek immediate help for your own good. I've seen a lot of poor posters on this board...but if clutch had to intervene because of your lack of quality posts...then you are REALLY bad. And you haven't changed since then...oh well some say ignorance is bliss. :rolleyes:

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We're just accustomed to being able to more or less read what's posted here without getting a headache, Stevie. The posts themselves, by ourselves, can be headache enough. :)

(did I just post that?? geez...)

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I need to post this is ANOTHER BROTHER's
    Phrases that need to be Retired thread

FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND
    esp in term of Euros

they are normally only
    OFFENSIVELY FUNDAMENTALLY SOUND
    Defensiely. . they normally are not

I still think Nachbar is and will be better than Woods

Rocket RIver