1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Hopes to Play in Back-to-Back Games in January

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketsFan, Nov 9, 2010.

1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

First, I highly doubt any such research exists, because we are dealing with a very small population size in elite athletes, and then again in elite athletes preventing stress fractures.

Whatever research that would be available would at best be retrospective case or series review which at best would only note a common correlation that "person's exerting themselves this much had another fracture" or something else. In short, any endpoint being looked for and correlating exertional factor would both be very vaguely defined and described.

The result would give you report that provides guidance but no definite time limits or restrictions that should be followed to the letter. This is what most studies have basically said: increase workload (over-training muscles too much that stress the bones too far) or strain/fatigue (fatigued muscles pushed to limits allowing extra stress to affect bones). There are no specific guidelines provided.

Most likely they felt that having an easy to understand goal (preparing for 1/2 an NBA game) would prevent overtraining and allow Yao to have stamina after being out for 16 months to prevent fatigue, as opposed to working him too hard to fast undoing any progress and healing had be accomplished from the surgery.

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Agreed.

3. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

I think he will.

4. hotpotato

hotpotato Member

I am surprised Yao said that.

I was sure Yao's time limit was worked out between Yao's medical staff and Rockets management, and it was there for Yao's well being.

If Yao couldn't take the 1-5 record and wants to go out as a good boy with a shattered foot and career, it's his decision to make. I am sure Leslie won't complaint. After all, there is always a #1 pick next year.

5. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I think its because of the show 24

1 person likes this.
  6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think it's because 24 is one more than Michael Jordan.

MAMBA STRIKE!

1 person likes this.
  7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yet 21 less than number 45.

[B]Air Assault![/B]

8. GRB

GRB Member

Seems like you will never be satisfied. Why not 28? Why not 32? ...
    Hasn't that been talked about enough?
    Be patient, this is just the beginning of the (FREAKING REGULAR) season. Geez, relax.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

GRB,

We have been waiting on Yao for years.

The artificial 24 minute limit is hurting the team coming together, there is no data that supports what they are doing, they are holding their finger up and feeling the direction of the wind.

Big Z had a limit, but he came back in 11 months and played in back to back games.

The reason I want 28 minutes is because it is 7 minutes a quarter and a enough to really impact a game and get a rythmn with all the players.

24 is just too short...those 4 extra minutes would be huge.

Either way, what choice do we have? They are doing what is best for him....but I would like them to do what is best for the team.

Because, you see....either Yao can do it, or he can't....and his foot is healed, they need to find out BEFORE they offer him any future contract.

This is the year they find out if we sign him, or let him walk.....and you can't baby that, you need to find out whether he is going to hold up.

DD

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why should a 24 minute limit hurt the team in coming together? Just stop making Yao such a focal point of the offense. Make him a role player, a very good one, and then that's that. Lots of good role players play less than 24 minutes a game.

The Rockets will regret pushing him too much, too fast. All his prior stress injuries occurred after long stretches of him playing too many minutes.

11. GRB

GRB Member

Yeah, i got you were saying.
    Just tell me, why do we need an instant impact from Yao this part of the season? Aaron is out (for a couple of weeks), Kyle has been in and out and Ish is just an undrafted rookie. The real problem is in the backcourt. Patrick was sent to the Vipers for a reason. This is worst time of the year that you want Yao to play heavy minutes.