1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ish Smith appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks! I thought it was pretty good. Look, the only reason Ish is starting is that both AB and Kyle are out. We don't have any choice about it. Sure, it was the T-Puppies, who suck, but the team still looked pretty good with him running things. If we keep winning, which isn't a sure thing at all, it's a plus, right? When Lowry is back from his back, he'll start until Brooks is healthy. If Lowry/Ismael are successful, Adelman will have a decision to make. He very well could give AB back his job. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me, unless the team plays drastically better. Even then I'd be surprised, since starters usually don't get replaced because of an injury. We may suck for the next few weeks, which would make all this a moot point. Hopefully, we don't. Either way, we're going to have to continue without Aaron.

3. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

How many point guards in the league can you name that are crunch time scorers that aren't superstars? He will get much better as the season progresses at making good crunch time decisions... As you posted, with him being an undrafted rookie getting his first unexpected meaningful minutes in an N.B.A game.

He has a good shooting form and has shown that he can hit the mid-range jumper, he just has to work on being more confident and more consistent with his shot...and he will.

He has special abilities that can't be taught...

If he continues to play like this over the next month or so while upcoming teams are playing closer attention to him, Rockets should consider signing him to a cheap multi-year contract

4. BasketballMind

Btw, I appreciate him for wanting to sign with Houston even though he already had two guards ahead of him, and even the possibility of Lee playing some point.

Where would we be if he decided to sign elsewhere with both of our point guards hurt?!

Thanks "Dish," you showed up and showed out

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

LOL. He is a lucky kid. An undrafted PG starts for a good nba team. ;) :grin:

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Fair enough, but I didn't want him to score in crunch time. I wanted him to give the ball to somebody else. Lee maybe?

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What?

You are such a diva...

#147 RudyTBag, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  8. BasketballMind

Idk, Lee's had his crunch time moments lol. Budinger's in a slump. Maybe Hill, who wasnt in the game, was he?

Anyway, 2 made free-throws by Lee and we aren't in that position.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just because they give him an open shot, doesn't mean he has to take it.

Double penetration ala Rajon Rondo...

Like Ray Allen, Kevin Martin spreads the floor enough to post up on the opposite block.

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

wat..

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Can't argue with that.

12. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

Ish Smith is the next Rajon Rondo. Im done.

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, this team does not lack shooters, it needs a pure point guard who also can guard someone. Smith not only played well in the last two games, he was playing well in the preseason too, it is not like just a accident perform.

14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I love what I've seen from Ish so far, but if Lowry is still out on Wednesday (or if he's on limited playing time), then we'll really see what he can do when he goes up against John Wall.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No, I meant you implying that Ish would be a worse starter than Shane Battier.

16. fayesun

fayesun Member

he literally looks like Rondo..

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

It just amazing the number of players that were bb studs at the collegiate level whose game does not transfer to the pro level. Also confounding are the players who do so well at the s/l, Development leagues, but the moment they step on a NBA court, they become timid, tentative.

I think Ish may just the opposite. He looks so damn comfortable out there running the team. I hope I will be saying the same thing 4 weeks from now.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hakeem,

Good post.....I think it is the same with Chase.....

Sometimes the pro game is better for players than the college game.

DD