1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley's Pts Allowed vs the League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Sep 25, 2002.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK, this is not exact science. I did a quick summation of total pts scored by opposing SGs versus all SGs. Results are:

16.2 ppg scored against Mobes
    vs
    16.75 ppg scored by all SGs

That is nearly a 6 pt spread vs Mobley's ppg.

This is not exact because I tweaked the summation results to reflect who I remember Mobley guarding. I counted Sprewell not Houston. Rose not Reggie. Anfernee not Delk/Johnson. I counted most of Pierce's points rather than Johnson...and some others. For the league's ppg, I ended up with 30 SGs that got more than 25 minutes per game. I simply took their total points and divided by their total minutes.

What would be cool is to measure is the spread of other SGs who don't have great frontline defenders, like Sprewell, Allan and Finley.

It helps to have a statistical database, though.

2. verse

verse Contributing Member

and cat's season scoring average was what again?

and what was the other comment some fool said before: "we'll never win a championship as long as cuttino mobley is our starting 2 guard?"

looks like we lose that matchup every time, right? what did that one dude say in the other thread? "name a guard that can't score on mobley?"

way to go heypee.

3. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

"Well Played" said in a Will Ferrel doing Robert Goulet Voice.

And what would also be a good analysis is if someone calculated how much it costs for one of mobley's points compared to other shooting guards who score more than twenty a game. Mobley is one of the best bargains in the league and all people do is hate on him. It is ridiculous.

4. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

hp -

Did you find a statistical database that shows real head to head stats? I'm not clear, but it appears you have created your own methodology.

One problem I see immediately with it is that there is no allowance for the large number of minutes the Rockets spent using "small ball". With Moochie and Francis on the floor, Cat is guarding SF's.

My comment is not meant as "Cat bashing" but if there was a statistical perfectionist competition at CC, you would surely make the Top 5! :)

5. Stevie Francis

cat got like 21.7 points per game? am i right?

6. Toast

Toast Member

Wait, did you count Sprewell not Houston, Rose not Reggie etc. just for scored against Mobley or for both scored against Mobley and scored by all SGs? If you did it just as against Mobley, I don't see any value at all in this statistical analysis.

7. heypartner

Toast,

What I wrote there is pts allowed by Mobley. Mobley doesn't guard Houston or Reggie. But I counted Houston and Reggie in the league totals, as they are the listed SGs. btw: there really are no big differences in the Sprewell vs Houston numbers and the Rose for Reggie in our games. The big difference is Pierce vs Joe Johnson. I errored on the side of making it more pts against Mobley by giving most Pierce pts to Mobley, since Mobley generally always takes the tougher assignment.

As for the league aves...that's nearly 40,000 pts. Again, Sprewell vs Houston and Rose vs Reggie has little effect on that 16.75 number. It did that one by hand, so it would be cool if someone dble checked.

It is a good volume of data. Regardless, it is not close to 21ppg like Mobley scores.

GATER,
    You're right. It is not exact science by any stretch. btw: in the 3 guard lineup, the other team often doesn't stand pat with their normal line-up.

#7 heypartner, Sep 25, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2002
  8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

What WC 2-guards, other than Kobe, are really all that great offensively?

9. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Other than Mobley and Finley? I don't think there's any others that score around 20. Wells is probably the next best thing. Are you asking how Mobley's stats compare against eastern conference shooting guards?

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

cuttino mobley

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Interesting way to look at it. The Mobley bashing should stop, I guess.

12. heypartner

verse and GATER,

I re-ran a different query to credit more bench points against Mobley's defense.

The main problem with the first comparison is that Mobley is actually on the court 42mpg, whereas I only counted the other starter or a combo if it was an obvious platoon job on Mobley. This time I tried to add more 2nd string SGs pts to better match Mobley's minutes.

by adding more bench player points, we get:

19.0 ppg for 40.3 minutes per game
    the league average minutes for the 29 most active SGs is 35mpg. and they score
    16.75 ppg, which equals 19.1 ppg for 40 minutes.

Right on target. Mobley opponents score 19.0 in a combined effort equalling 40.3mpg, which is just what 29 SGs score in 40 minutes. Mobley keeps them on average while outscoring his opponents by +2.5.

#12 heypartner, Sep 25, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2002
  13. tozai

tozai Member

Yet another point of praise for Cuttino. Seriously, who's better than Cat at SG other than Vince, AI, Kobe,Pierce, & Ray Allen, (T-mac/SF) ?

Rose & Stack are at the same level, but more expensive and older. We got a real bargain, and once we have a better offensive running which should happen when we actually HAVE a frontcourt, people will stop complaining.

14. toner

toner Member

I think you would CONSIDER Finley and Szczerbiak... it would be tough.

What about the EC?

Iverson, McGrady, Carter, Ray Allen, Stackhouse

Look at it this way, if you were offered any of them straight up for Mobley, 4 out of 5 of them you would likely take.

Just as the WC if full of 4's and 5's the EC is stacked at the 2

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

No one is more overrated the Szczerbiatch. When was the last time he created his own shot? He is the type of player that can benefit off of someone like Kevin Garnett. Mobley on the other hand is a type of player that can create for himself and for his teammates.

Not to mention Cuttino will costs way less then Wally World in the near future.

16. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Nice thread HeyP, amazing perhaps Mobes is as bad for the team as many make out in the heat of the moment.

What about instead of adding in the back-up SGs pts, try working out the points in relation to minutes, so work it out as pts per minutes for the opposition players.

17. heypartner

Smeggy,

The real comparison is simply what he does against the starting SG. If he makes him sit down, so they can bring fresh legs in to help check Mobley, then Mobes succeeded...that is, he made the starting SG

SIT DOWN

It is somewhat skewed to measure Mobley against two set of legs when neither one of them could outscore him if they played a full game. My first comparison attempted to measure him against one set of legs.

With that logic...he is running a 6pt spread, as first indicated. I showed the other stat just to show how no matter how hard you try, Mobes still outscored a combo of SGs at +2.7ppg.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well, HP, somehow I think you proved in all this data that Mobes plays too many minutes. I agree. ;)

19. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

you want to tease me and do a comparison for Steve and his opponents

20. Rochut

Rochut Member

you have to factor in how many possessions it took Mobley to get a couple more baskets than it took your mythical "25 minute+" average SG. I'm not convinced.

I am convinced that Mobley plays far too many minutes for the percentages/defence he puts up.