1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cushing and Brown's juice are draining out

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by KALIKULI, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

Great thread! Funny, insightful, and it promotes discussion... Good Job OP.

:rolleyes:

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, maybe we should give Mario a shot at MLB since I guess defensive positions are so easily interchangeable.

Where the hell have you been, Ric? You sure picked a helluva week to come back... :)

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Welcome back! Got any ideas on how to fix the defense and offensive playcalling?!?

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You lost me here. Your post indicated Cushing wouldn't be able to make an impact as a MLB, which is patently false. In fact, assuming he can pick it up, he may actually have a greater impact.

Why? What happened?

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I remember at least two plays week one where Demeco OWNED Peyton.

When Peyton started to do his little scrimmage dance, calling out whatever he does and tries to fool the defense. I remember twice in that game Demeco doing the same thing in direct reponse to Peyton.

What happened? Well Peyton went all :confused: no one does this **** to me...and one time got a delay, i don't remember the other time he either called a T.O to prevent a delay of game or got another one.

6. Hey Now!

Well, if this BBS has taught me anything, they need to hire a fiery coach that spits spittle out of his arse and sign every street free agent available because "OMG!! A 33-year old defensive end who wants to retire is available!!!!!!!!!! MOREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I think all this consternation over coaching (some of it wholly justified) is blinding far too many people to the more pressing issue: This team isn't as talented as we all thought it was. That's not meant to excuse Kubiak and his staff - smarter, more knowledgeable coaches could possibly design a better scheme that would take greater advantage of this roster.

But I'm starting to think the team just doesn't have enough horses, especially (obviously) on defense. I think Ryans and Williams are certifiably above-average. Cushing probably is, too - but he's thus far a one-year wonder. Jackson and Quin are young and both have potential - but the rest of their defensive lot is below average and possibly well below-average. Bernard Pollard has been exposed; the film is out on him. Eugene Wilson is smart and plays hard but he's a step or four behind the league physically. The other LBs, Diles and Adibi, are soft in run support and ineffective in coverage. And the DTs, while not as bad as most would initially think, are certainly - at best - average.

They're better offensively - problem is: I can't shake Steve Slaton's 2008 season. What if Matt Schaub and Arian Foster are one-year wonders? (Foster, thus far, would just be a 9-game wonder.) Has Kevin Walter crashed hard into his ceiling? Will anyone ever trust Jacoby Jones? Is Owen Daniels over the hill? And why have none of the 68 other TEs on the roster stepped up to fill his void? (Actually, Dressen's played well in spots.) The offensive line has played well collectively, dating back to last year - but are they a product of scheme? Do any of them excel individually? Could Eric Winston start for any other team?

Lots of season left; nine games, 7 against current wild card competition. This could all still come together (because, you know: the sum is always greater than its parts). But even if they make the playoffs, seems like they'll still have a lot of holes to fill in the offseason, doesn't it?

And yes - this falls at Kubiak's feet. The talent has gotten exponentially better under his watch; unquestionably. At the same time, he wasted 3 day one picks on projects: Okoye, Jones and Molden. Worse: projects that aren't working. You can't miss on 3 day one picks, especially when you deal two other day one picks for your QB.

1 person likes this.
  7. msn

msn Member

Do you know how many times I've wondered where the devil Ric was?

Glad to see you posting here, sir. Welcome back!

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Cushing probably played more defensive end (sophomore year) than he did ILB at USC.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Just saying that if Cushing was playing at a "defensive rookie of the year" level last year, why mess with that? Why make the change at all? Why not just leave him at OLB?
    We're right in the vortex of a bbs meltdown because of the Indy game.

Doesn't help that the Rockets (DaDakota's pick to win the 2011 NBA championship...) are now 0-4. More like 0-5 pending Saturday's inevitable loss to the spurs.

At least Cy Creek is having a decent year.

10. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Class of '95 right here!! :eek:

11. Hey Now!

Because he's your best (healthy) linebacker, and playing the mike is far and away more difficult than playing outside. The drop-off from Cushing to Adibi on the outside isn't near as drastic as the drop-off from Ryans to Adibi (or Diles or Bentley) in the middle and it doesn't have near the impact on your overall defense, given how much responsibility the guy in the middle has. Your MLB has to be smart, instinctive, fast and strong.

12. Hey Now!

I doubt that. We had a baby this summer, our first - that's the primary reason for my absence; that and one too many Aaron Schoebel threads.

13. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Cushing had to move to a new position, and he actually didn't look bad doing it. He was also in pass coverage more. Brown just game back from a four game suspension, and when you add the bye week, that's five weeks from playing NFL ball. Kubiak didn't help him by calling all of those pass plays and having Brown go against Freeney one on one. Brown didn't get any chipping or a TE over to his side to help. Kubiak needed to call more run plays to get Brown's feet wet.

14. Scarface281

BOTH picks that game were because of Cushing.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Cush also came close to getting a pick on Monday Night, he got his hands on a ball and could not hold on

16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Cushing's tackles have been way down so far, too. It doesn't help when teams don't have to run the ball to beat you though.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

He's only averaging 1 less tackle per game so far this season. He was actually on par to average the same until his 5 tkl game this past Monday where we met a pass happy team along with the fact he was playing a different position.

As far as Duane, missing 4 games and having to face Freeney right off the back would give a lot of LT's problems.

18. Scarface281

Another myth on Cushing's play this year.

19. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Duane like most LTs always have problems with Freeney. He gets to face Shaun Phillips this week who is having his best season of his career and has 7 sacks in 8 games so far. I think Duane will be fine. He isn't a Pro-Bowler but he is a very solid LT.

20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Assists are not the same as solo's for me. You can't argue his overall effectiveness is down from last year at this point.