1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's Up with Matt Schaub?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Nov 2, 2010.

?

Are you concerned about Schaub's play this season?

1. Not at all, he's the least of my concerns

17 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. A little, but he'll be back on track soon

34 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. I'm concerned, it's hurt us in games

24 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. FIRE KUBIAK

55 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - how many of those were LATE in the game, he had like 5 catches on that last drive.....

I am talking about doing it EARLY in the game.

Screen passes......you just don't see them that much...and you should.

Max, maybe what you see on the field is different than what I see on the field.

You can not possibly be trying to defend Schaub in this last game....?

Sure the coaching staff sucks by calling so many passes, and long developing patterns.....but Matt COULD check down on those....

Maybe Matt wants to go for the homerun too often, and should take more shorter passing options.....

DD

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

not when you're talking about things that can be quantified.

"he shrinks under pressure" - or he wins a game for us with his arm in a game where he got his ass thrown around in Washington

"we need to run more screens" - ummm..the game just two nights ago? remember that one? yeah, we screened like crazy. when he wasn't doing that, he was having to check down to short routes, anyway. he never had time to do much else, frankly.

EDIT: just saw your edit....when did we throw downfield, da da??? what the hell game were you watching? i don't remember any passes downfield of any significant length. nearly everything was contained within 20 yards.

3. DaDakota

Yes, in that game he was great, but he is not consistently this way, and he has struggled mightily this year in some games, like this Colts game.

Flips to the back out of the backfield are NOT screen passes, those are outlet passes, there is a big difference.

Freeney comes hard, and mostly from the outside, you can hurt him by chipping him with a back, or running a screen pass to his vacated area.....

I know you guys love the guy, but making excuses for him when he struggles is funny.

He struggled against the Colts.

DD

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

don't even waste your time trying to argue with him about football (or anything for that matter) because he really has little comprehension on the game.

There are multiple circumstances where matt has proven to be able to hold in the pocked and take hits, all the while throwing for a great game. But he will ignore this and discount it because it's convenient for his argument.

I wonder if demetia is setting in a little early.

5. DaDakota

Of course there are Donkey, but there are also games where he looks scared of the moment, like he did against the Colts.

Stop making excuses for the guy when he struggles, he wouldn't make them himself.

You guys are just upset that it is "Me" that is pointing these things out, rather than looking at what is really going on out there.

And it is easier to go "Oh, he doesn't know the game that well" rather than take in what is being said.

So, to be clear.....you guys are saying that Schaub did NOT struggle against the Colts?

We are not talking about the Redskins or the Cheifs game...but the Colts game......because after that int, and a hit in the first half, he looked like crap, and then came back somewhat late.

DD

6. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

it's quite simple. DId the pass rush have an affect on him, sure it did. ALL QBs have trouble, at some point in their careers, when they are getting hammered and are being under pressure.

What you are doing is taking an anomaly and applying to it as though this it is routine.

7. DaDakota

Not routine, but often enough to notice.

There are games it does not bother him, like the Redskins game, but why did he get so bothered during the Colts game?

Maybe it is just a case of him getting down on himself and thinking too much about that pick 6?

He just has times where he seems to lose the plot, and to me, the next level is where you forget about the last mistake and go back out there and play freely.

DD

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He had time to throw in the 2nd half of the Redskins and the Chiefs games, and he absolutely murdered it.

If you don't notice the correlation between how quickly/often your quarterback is getting hit in the face and how often he dun goofs then there really isn't much I can do for you. And don't give me that "it's just him" nonsense. Even Peyton Manning has bad games when he's spending time eating grass. i.e. vs. Patriots, Ravens, or Steelers circa mid 2000s.

9. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

He keeps throwing at the most generic and vague opinions that apply to everyone/thing

DD's expert analysis... "he can't throw the ball when he doesn't have time"...

that ranks up there with "they need to score more points to win" and "he doesnt like getting hit"

10. DaDakota

True, but Matt seems to need more time to throw than all of those guys.....he holds the ball a bit longer, and pays the price.

And to compare Peyton's bad games as rare as they are to Schaub is disengenious.

I am not saying Matt sucks, I am saying that he gets rattled.....more often than other QB's that people want to compare him to.

And of course I concede that his blocking sucks, his coach is ignoring the running game and his defense puts him in far too many passing situations.

I am, by no means, blaming Matt Schaub........I would put the blame squarely on Kubiak and his lousy play calling more than Matt.

However Schaub struggled in the Colts game, especially early, and it was not all the rush.

DD

11. blackistan

blackistan Member

12. DaDakota

Our patterns were for slow developing downfield plays, we did NOT throw downfield more often because there wasn't time.

This is a big coaching issue....or a QB not checking down one.

DD

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

DD. Please. Dude. Just stop...

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Schaub's biggest weakness is a pass rush coming up the middle right at him that forces him to backpedal or scramble. You force Schaub to backpedal, he'll more often than not end up under throwing the football. You put a few hits on him and he begins to hear footsteps. This happens to all QBs in the NFL. Any team that watches video on the Texans knows this. Now he really has only two big play receivers: Johnson & Daniels and I see him holding the ball longer in order to give them time to clear. I'm sure he'd LOVE to take a three-step drop and zing the ball but quite often, he's just not getting the time to do even that given the state of the OL. I mean Brown was literally getting b****-slapped by Freeney the entire game and came at Schaub like a runaway freight train. Also, the Colts were actually blitzing more than I've seen them do in quite a while and Schaub's protection was extremely porous at best. That's why he was forced into throwing more to Foster because nobody else was really getting open.

Now this is something you can pin on Kubiak who seems hell-bent on going down with the ship running his Denver offensive system. Should he have run Foster from the beginning until the Colts stopped it? Hell YES. But that's not the offensive philosophy of someone wedded to BroncosBall. Everything they did on offense Monday night from the start was badly schemed and drawn up and to criticize Schaub for holding the ball too long is akin to blaming the engine room crew on the Titanic for not closing the waterproof doors before the ship went down.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I am now convinced DD is confusing Matt Schaub with a different player, his analysis is so far off, that has to be the case. The stuff he says just has absolutely nothing to do with the way Schaub plays. I don't understand how someone could be so far off base

DD, Your analysis of Schaub is equivalent to the following analysis of Aaron Brooks:

AB struggles with his shot. He just can't hit the outside jumper and in crunch time, he just shouldn't be in the game. Also, what is up with his weight gain? The guy looks slow all over the court. He needs to focus more on his post play because his thickness could help him down there against smaller PGs.

16. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

maybe he's accidently rewatching old Texans games on his DVR when another QB wearing #8 was playing.

17. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

DD time to quit posting in Texans topics.

18. DaDakota

Excuses excuses.....Matt Schaub can do no wrong...got it.

He awesomely threw that pick 6 right to the Colts, then was fantastic in his under 40% completion percentage in the first half when the game was on the line.

;)

Yep, you guys are right, he played FANTASTIC football.

DD

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Seriously, just stop. Nobody's saying Schaub is flawless. The problem is that you're so way off-base with your "analysis" that it's embarrassing at this point.

20. DaDakota

I see it 100% the other way, maybe the fact that I am not as emotionally attached as you guys are leaves me as a much more impartial observer.

It's ok though, I don't mind disagreeing......

DD