1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Colts

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

Ah ha! EMoreland. EMjohn. It's the same thing. :)

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... Can we cancel the Amber Alert for Mario?

Seriously.

No, I mean seriously, I thought I heard the MNF announcers say the Colts were rushing a four DE front line. Did IND really put four DEs out there or was the announcer simply saying the Colts front four was so fast?

3. msn

msn Member

You got a decent sample size back in 07 or 08, whatever year Andre Davis showed up. Schaub played pretty well.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

4500 passing yards last season. 3000 of it to players not named Andre Johnson.

Btw, where was OD last night? Walter getting shut down by a no-name corner?

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. Having AJ opens up alot for other receivers.
    2. Were OD and Walter covered or missed by Schaub? Cannot just absolve either party because you trying to defend them. Have to look at the tape. Sometimes . . . receivers don't get any catches. . because when they were open . . their QB either missed them, were running for their life or on their back.

Rocket River

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

HAY DOODZ

U KNO WUT WILL FIX DIS?

RANDY MOSS

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I just got into an argument with someone who said "All these people clamoring that Kubiak should've run the ball more are morons. You don't run the ball when you're down 24-3!" I almost vomited from anger after hearing that. If we had run the ball more than 8 times in the first half, we wouldn't have been DOWN 24-3!! And even if you ARE down by that much, you do what works! Running the ball is something that WORKED for us last night, and we abandoned it for NO GOOD REASON. Out of the 8 runs in the first half that Foster/Ward had, I can only recall ONE no gain. ONE!!! Seriously, I'm STILL baffled by the play-calling. Last night really put me in a foul mood.

Also, on a side note, where the hell has Kevin Walter been the last 3 or so games?? After his torrid first two games, he's pretty much just fallen off the face of the Earth. Part of Matt Schaub's struggles have come from the fact that he's having to watch Jacoby Jones flub more than half of his passes. A small part of me dies every time I see watch Jacoby drop what could be a big third down conversion. Kevin Walter, WE NEED YOU!!!

8. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

KUBIAK PRESSER coming up any minute (live) on Sports 610.

...can't wait to hear this crap.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Should be interesting and fustrating, all at the same time.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yep. One of the most frustrating games in the history of the Texans.

Let's look at that possession in which we went for it on fourth and 2. We get 8 yards on first and second down on running plays. Then, we proceed to throw it to Walter on consecutive downs. If that was four down territory, run the ball on third and fourth down. I was livid.

Walter has been disappointing. We should have drafted Dez Bryant and used the second round pick for a corner or paid someone in the off-season.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

LMAO.

Granato just called him out on "balance"

"Gary, on first drives this year you've passed 26 times and ran the ball 8 times. Would you like to be more balanced there?"

Kubiak had no answer. He almost looked like he didn't believe the numbers.

12. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Yup Kubiak pretty much side stepped that question.

13. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

Gary Kubiak said he didn't know he would go for it on 4th down when he called the pass play on 3rd and 2.

1 person likes this.
  14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He said he didn't know he would go for it on 4th down if he didn't convert on 3rd down. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  15. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

that really says a lot about his game management. I wish someone will just mute McClain, he is asking most of the questions and most of it is nothing of substance.

16. rockets934life

Kubiak has side stepped a few questions about running the ball, he knows he F'd up.

17. rockets934life

610 is doing a fantastic job of defending their guy, idiots.

18. liljojo

liljojo Member

Yep, his defense is:
    1) They weren't on the field enough
    2) They were behind
    3) They couldn't convert on 3rd down

None of which really explains why he didn't run in the first half.

19. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

KUBIAK PRESSER RECAP:

John McClain When you look back, do you wish you would have run more?
    Gary Kubiak We WOULD have, things just didn't work out that way in the game. We were 0-6 on third downs and that really got us out of whack for one thing. The game just didn't go that way, I wish it had been a closer game and you'd like to run the ball more what happened happened.

JM You've been playing from behind a lot this season, why is that?
    GK It's been confusing...we've been moving the ball early in games but we haven't been scoring. W have a lot of sacks against us early in games and penalties have been a problem too. I'm trying to come up with a reason and I'm looking to fix that.

JM You mean change your routine?
    GK No, not going to change anything about my routine. I'm looking to change what we ask player to do...stuff like that.

JM You didn't seem to be using the TE's much when running the ball to block and didn't keep the TE's back much in blocking much at all.
    GK Well, we try to stay balanced in our attack. Don't want to use the TE's TOO much in the running/blocking game...maybe should have a bit more in this case though.

JM Game injuries?
    GK Andre's ankle is sore...Diles sore from game...other players sore. Nothing big.

JM Improvements from last year?
    GK We protected QB much better last year, need to control LOS better. GOT to get better at that this year.

JM You're on the 47 yard line and you throw it consecutively on 3rd and 4th down...why not just run Arian Foster? The QB had been struggling.
    GK I didn't know I was going to go for it on fourth, so I couldn't look at it like "Let me just run the ball both times to make sure I get the yardage." We didn't get the first play b/c they were in a good man coverage. I decided to go for it again on 4th with a play designed for good man coverages and it just didn't work.

JM Cushing at MLB.
    GK He did well consider he just got thrown in there...we played well first half...not AS well second half but Cush did well taking over the Defense and making the calls and such.

JM Andre, same ankle hurting him as before?
    GK Yes, same ankle. He tweaked it a bit more when he went back out there but he should be fine if he can keep from tweaking it again these next few weeks.

JM Did you talk to Schaub at halftime?
    GK ....I talk to Matt all of the time, John. What do you mean?

JM Well, it's just that he came out so different in the second half. Was it something you said to him in particular to work on or look for?
    GK Well, we all came in and talked about what was going on. It wasn't all on Matt in that first half. We had a lot of things to work on there.

JM Do you wish you had been more patient in using Arian? Maybe see if the carries would have continued to be as successful as they were?
    GK No, I'll answer that the same: I think we WOULD have run the ball more had the game gone better. We were 0-6 on 3rd downs...we couldn't run the ball b/c we just couldn't stay on the field.

(they talk a bit about what to do for the game coming up)

JM Some guys aren't playing nearly as well as they did last year...where do we go from here on that?
    GK Some guys might not be putting up some of the same numbers exactly, but we've got a long way to go in the season and I hope that we're moving in the right direction [(!!!DID HE JUST SAY THAT???)] We've got to continue to make big plays in the run AND the pass. I do like that we got much better in the return game, special teams looked really good out there.

...and that was it. Wow. How is this man employed as a NFL Head Coach? Hey Kubes: maybe you would have converted more 3rd downs if you weren't going to the failing pass attack every time. And change what you ask your players to do? WTF are you talking about? You don't ask them to stop the offense, get after the QB, score points, etc? What HAVE you been asking them to do. I love all the BS about blaming "the flow" of the game and what simply "happened" as the reason for not running more. Like things that were beyond his control were the reasons for him not going to Foster WAY more than he did.

1 person likes this.
  20. rockets934life

His response to Granato was AWESOME...I guess he isn't used to having someone call him out.