1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade three first-rounders for Webber next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Corey Benjamin, Jul 12, 2000.

1. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

3. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

So we would have him during years 9-14 of his career. He missed 8 games last year, 8 the year before (of 50), 11 the year before, 10 the year before, 67 the year before, 28 the year before, and 6 his rookie year.

But I'm sure he'll get more durable with age, right? He's played 405 out of 542 games (.747).

I've got an idea, let's go after Jayson Williams. He's in the prime of his career.

Don't get tied down to another veteran who spends a chunk of the time watching on the sidelines. I don't see Webber has another Olajuwan, who had his best years from 9-12.

If we sign Webber, though, I'll be praying for the best years of his life, but I'd prefer a 1st time free agent star to an eight-year veteran.

------------------

4. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

McGrady isn't.

------------------

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Webber is one of the top 5 players in the nba right now. He is the best passing power forward and has the best ball handling skills for a power forward. Webber and Francis on the same team is scary.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

6. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Webber was the somewhere between the 2nd and 4th best player in the league last year. He is tall, strong, and has unparalled passing and ball handling skills for a guys his size. He also is always looking for a open man, what player who wants to win doesn't like to play with someone like that. He may not duplicate the performance of last year, but he will be a very, very good player until at least 35 I would think. Personally, I would rather have Webber via free agency than get Duncan (who may have a worse injury problem) at the cost of say Cato + Francis OR Cato + Mobley or Shandon + couple of #1s--which is what I think it would have taken to get TD.

So of course we should try to sign Webber and by all means do not offend him by offering anything less than the max and a free life pass to the Men's Club.

That said, and while I truelly believe him landing here is probably the 3rd most likely option to happen (stay with Sac 1, going to Det 2)-thus realistic enough for debate, we don't want to make team decisions yet because we might possibly be able to land Webber. Though I still like the idea of clearing out Walt to further create cap space with the #1 option being signing Webber in 01. Because even if that doesn't work we would be a good position down the line for other good FAs.

------------------
    "The Rockets were ahead of the Suns by 20 late in game 2 of the series, but when the going got tough, we just Pippened . We would not be done in the series though."

7. verse

verse Contributing Member

somebody fill me in as to why you think webber wants to come to houston in the first place?

i mean, has there been any mention of it at all on his behalf?

seems to me that IF he chose to leave the sac, it would be to detroit.

if i'm missing something, please enlighted me (hey, i'd love to have c-webb). if not, this is dreamcasting at it's finest, and comparable to masturbation.

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

8. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Rockets have enough money to sign him next year. He said he wants to win, and he cant do it in Sac Town. Houston has a bright future and Webber can fit in easily with this team. If the kings dont pass the 1st round this year, its over for webber , he is out.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

9. verse

verse Contributing Member

ok, let me get this right. he wants to win next year? and he can't win in sac?

let's see, didn't sac make the playoffs last season. and weren't we in the lottery?

------------------
    miles ahead of the rest

10. Francis3

Francis3 Member

We have Steve Francis, he will come so be quiet. [​IMG]

Let us dream!

------------------

John Rocker

11. playahata

playahata Member

Webber is a bonafide MVP type player just entering his prime. He's a triple double threat every night and he obviously has heart.

Washington thought he was their problem and ditched him, now they're the laughing stock of the east. He went to Sacramento,now they're a playoff team.
    Anybody is expendable when we are talking about Webber. I'd take him at any price.

------------------

12. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Five more things on top of what Francis3 said for why Webb might possibly come here (purely guessing, but I'd say a 25% chance is reasonable).

Rudy (don't always agree with is coaching, but players love him)
    Respect (championship tradition, takes care of their guys-Maloney, Shandon)
    C-Webb is single
    Men's Club
    Ricks

------------------
    "The Rockets were ahead of the Suns by 20 late in game 2 of the series, but when the going got tough, we just Pippened . We would not be done in the series though."

13. Nomar

Nomar Member

Not everyone is expendable. not francis, anderson, or a seven foot athletic shotblocker.(cato, or any,etc.)but yeah, like all four first rounders next year, and maybe more.

------------------
    Starting at shortstop, for the Houston Astros, Nomar Garciaparra.

14. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Without even blinking, but he won't be that cheap. I'd rather have a seasoned good player then a maybe out of college.

------------------
    One minute ago you had 60 seconds longer to live then you have now. Did you enjoy the 60 seconds you just had? :)

15. KANE

KANE Member

Hell Yes!! There is no question about it. Webber is just brilliant at the PF spot. I think he would be THE perfect guy for the ROX....next to Duncan that is...

------------------
    Thoughts from KANE..........

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I doubt he will stay with Sac

Francis is better than W.C.
    Mobley and Anderson are better than The Brick
    Cato is younger than Divac.

The Kings play less D than the rockets. Delk not included.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman