1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We are officially the Sacramento Kings (Divac, Webber, Bibby, etc..)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Oct 28, 2010.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

It suprises me that everyone on this GARM is surprised by the fact that we play no D, yet we hired a coach and coaching staff that has never played D.

Let's go back to the days of Webber, Divak, Bibby, Henpecked Christie, and Peja. These guys scored at will during the regular season and playoffs. However, in the playoffs, they could never get that one stop to get to the finals against the Lakers or other good defensive teams (Spurs). They would run teams out of the building in ARCO and drill the bad teams, because there offense was superior. Had nothing to do with their defense or rebounding.

We are now watching an inept coaching staff trying to get them to play D. All we read in the Chronicle is how the team is working on their defense and getting better. Yet, we have to be the worst defensive team in the league after 2 games. Give me a break, this is ridiculous.

I enjoy watching AB and definitely don't want to see him leave, however, he is very suspectible to physical play, which gets in his head and takes him out of the game. Philly could use a point guard and we could play Lee, Lowry, or Ish at the spot if they are willing to give us AI 2.

Bottom line, it is the coaches responsibility to put players in a situation to succeed when a team has 2 scorers and 1 of them lights you up for 46 on jump shots. I've played enough bball to know when a guy is one and there isn't anything 1 person can do to stop them.

RA and Morey, as fans we are kind of lost right now and are waiting impatiently to see what happens.

DEFENSE and REBOUNDING WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

2. rockets934life

If it wasn't for a miracle 3 from Horry and a HORRIBLY officiated game 7, they reach the finals and probably win the title...if we are the Kings then I consider myself fortunate.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Me too, those teams were contenders year in and year out.

DD

4. ClutchCityReturns

Adelman has had good defensive teams, including the exact Kings team you are using as an example.

89-90 Blazers: 4th in Defensive Rating
    90-91 Blazers: 3rd in Defensive Rating
    91-92 Blazers: 3rd in Defensive Rating
    92-93 Blazers: 4th in Defensive Rating
    00-01 Kings: 7th in Defensive Rating
    01-02 Kings: 6th in Defensive Rating
    02-03 Kings: 2nd in Defensive Rating

And it's Divac.

#4 ClutchCityReturns, Oct 28, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
    3 people like this.
  5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

The bolded part pretty much makes the rest of your post irrelevant.

This was GS's opening game. We were on a back-to-back. GS is probably going to drop 120+ on a lot of teams this year. And I'm pretty sure we're not going to give up 132 points every night.

It's a loooooong season. Let's revisit this topic in another couple of weeks if we're still the worst defensive team in the league.

1 person likes this.
  6. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

His teams weren't scrubs on the defensive end like its been mentioned. But damn it, we're not the suns either. We have some defensive stoppers, there's no excuse for the lack of defense.

7. Mr Chuck Norris

Well lets get back one more person from that Kings team, GERALD WALLACE

8. echu888

echu888 Member

OP was thoroughly dismantled within the first 3 responses.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

You mean the OP has no idea what he's talking about? Wait, that never happens around here. :confused:

10. Steve_Francis_rules

There is so much ignorance in this one post, it's almost unbelievable.

First, as others have noted, the Kings were consistently a top defensive team during Adelman's time.

Second, the Kings of the Webber/Divac/Peja/Christie era never played the Spurs in the playoffs. The Kings played SA in the first round as an eighth seed in 2006, after every player from their glory days except Bibby was gone. They lost because they were seriously outmatched, not because they couldn't play defense.

11. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

12. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

I am ok with Sacramento Kings. Just hope the team won't become 2010 Cowboys. :rolleyes:

13. RV6

RV6 Member

Can't read a post that mispells Divac...usually means you didnt see him play much, if at all, which includes his team.

14. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

We played a VERY GOOD defensive game against the Lakers. We OUTPLAYED the Lakers in almost EVERY ASPECT of the game. We held Kobe to 22 pts on 8-20 shooting. Held the Lakers to under 42% shooting and we out rebounded them 53-44!

We lost that game because of 20 TURNOVERS which led to fast break points.

We lost to GS because they were quicker and fresher than us. We were on a 2nd game of a back to back in which our starters played a big chunk of minutes.

Lets face it.. I dont think anyone could have stopped Monta Ellis/Stephan Curry last night! Grab the best defensive player(s) in the league, and they probably couldn't stop that duo last night.

Can we provide Basketball IQ tests before allowing people to create threads like this one?

15. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Maybe Romo should only have played 24 minutes a game. :)

16. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Yes, very well aware of Big Shot Rob's bucket and the Kings reaching the Conf Finals twice (losing both times). My point was this had nothing to do with their offense and playoffs. RA's offense has proven to be much more effective than his defensive strategies as shown below in the Ranking of Opponent Points Per Game during RA's tenure. Without a doubt I would take the 2000 - 2004, but his teams defense was below average during that time also

Year Ranking Opponent Points Per Game Playoff Result
    05-06 17 Lost in 1st Round
    04-05 26 Lost in 1st Round
    03-04 25 Lost in WCF Semifinals
    02-03 17 Lost in WCF Semifinals
    01-02 19 Lost in WCF Finals
    00-01 13 Lost in WCF Semifinals
    99-00 27 Lost in 1st Round
    98-99 29 Lost in 1st Round
    Avg 22

17. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Stop with the foolish comments on bbal IQ, because I'm sure you've coached a team or two to the NBA championship - Phil Jackson.

If you think for 1 moment the lakers game was lost solely because of turnovers, did you not watch the threes drilled by Brown and Blake and that were not the result of a turnover.

Bogus on anyone not being able to stop Ellis and Curry. Our style of play and lack of D allows other teams to get hot. Yes Ellis and Curry are dynamic shooters but 17 - 24 is ridiculous and now you're showing your lack of BBall IQ. There are things called double teams, zone, etc.. in the NBA.

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Did you look at the opponents points per game ranking, didn't think so. Check the post above for those rankings also and ensure you provide a complete picture to prove your point.

Bottom line the Rockets defense is no where near a playoff team level after all of the focus on defense during camp and preseason.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Opponent ppg rank is a bad stat to use in judging the quality of the defense. The old Sac Kings ran a high-pace game, so opponents would score more points just on tempo. That's why you were quoted a defensive rating that controls for tempo.

Anyway, I agree with you that our defense the first 2 games has been crappy. But, this thread is way premature. 2 games can't make a statistical trend. All teams are still trying to get their defense together. The Rockets' preseason was handicapped by a trip to China. Check back in December and judge the defense then.

20. The Real Shady

Kings had better players then we do.