1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you pull the trigger on one of these trades?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

The first trade couldn't happen until Nov. 11, because Davis was just recently traded. The second deal couldn't happen until Dec. 15, because Prince was just signed as a rookie.

Trade #1

Houston sends KT/Collier to Detroit.

Detroit sends Hubert Davis/future conditional #1 pick to Houston.

Trade #2

Houston sends KT/Collier/T-Mo to Detroit.

Detroit sends Davis/Tayshaun Prince/future pick(?) to Houston.

Detroit is looking for a center & while Collier hasn't shown any real consistency yet, he has shown flashes of what he can do. With an opportunity to get consistent minutes, he (imo) should develop into a more than adequate center. KT is an up & coming player & T-Mo showed a lot of hustle on the defensive end last year.

If Taylor returns to his old form, then KT seems to be the most likely candidate to be traded away.

Davis would give us a veteran backup SG, with a sweet 3pt shot, & instant offense off the bench. The SG position would be lethal throughout the game with one of Mobley, Francis, or Davis in the game at all times.

I think I'd rather do the first deal over the second one. Unless Prince is something special, I'd like to see what T-Mo can do in his second season. He showed a lot of hustle & athleticism last year. Besides, I'd rather acquire another future #1 pick.

2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd probably do both. By Nov.11, we should know whether or not Mo has recovered or not. Without looking at stats and stuff, I think Davis is really good. Don't know TOO much about him, except he can shoot 3's very well.

As for which I'm more likely to do, I'm not sure. I don't know much about Prince, but I thought he was ok. The 2nd may be better. But I don't want to give up on T-MO, and the 1st has a conditional 1st roud pick.

Hmm...bacon.

edit: Nevermind my nov.11 remark. Our 5th game is on the 9th, with the next being on the 12th, so MO wouldn't have played yet. I think we may still know if he's ready or not, but its a bit different than I expected.

#2 RC Cola, Sep 21, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2002
  3. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

I disagree. I think that if Taylor shows he has recovered from his injury, he will be the one the Rockets are likely to unload. The Rockets would trade him now if they could,but until he has provd he can play, no team will take a chance on him.

4. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

KT hasn't been penciled in as the future PF for the Rockets, Griffin has. The most he will ever be to the Rockets is a back up (probably an expensive one at that.) Mo Taylor has already been given a big contract. A contract that will almost be impossible to trade when you have a player that just came off a season ending injury behind it.

KT is young and still has a little potential inside him, if we can give him the chance to start in the "Big" (ha!) east; we should give it to him.

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

No and No!

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd like to have a three point threat, but there are too many unknowns at the PF position to trade KT yet. We need to know something before we make any moves.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would probably do both of those trades. Prince does nothing for me so I would prefer #1.

Hubert Davis coming off of the bench and a future number 1 for KT and Collier would be sweet. Personally I would prefer to try and unload Cato instead of Collier but what ever works would be fine by me.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I wonder if we could find a SG even older than Hubert. His dad, the Greyhound, was much better, and he's still alive. Let's go for Davis senior. :rolleyes: I don't agree that we need a back-up SG so bad. We're going to have shooters all around and some people who can swing SF to SG to I just wouldn't stress, especially not at the risk of shipping KT for a blue hair like Davis.

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Yes for both.

10. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

No. SG is not nearly needed as a point producing position as in the past. CAT covers the position well for 35-40 minutes anyway.

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>I wonder if we could find a SG even older than Hubert. His dad, the Greyhound, was much better, and he's still alive. Let's go for Davis senior.</i>

Walter Davis is Hubert Davis' uncle, not his father.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Det would have to have some kind of love affair with Collier to do those deals. They would prob rather have their Euro big men than Collier.

Also, KT is useless for Pistons, who already have an undersized PF in Corliss Williamson.

13. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

KT is a solid back up PF....why would you trade him? He will never be a starter on any team (unless they really suck). Mo Tayor won't be traded until Griffen develops. So it's all a dead issue.

The only trade i could see is Kato for Croshere. But even then, why bother? Collier is a bust.

If you're going to unload someone, it would be Kato. No one will take mo unless he proves valuable, and if he is valuable, why trade him.

You guys seem to think that these rooks are guaranteed stars. It just doesn't work that way. If 2 out of 3 become solid players and have productive careers, then that's great. Boki could be a bust, so could Yao. Only Griffen shows that he can hang with the big boys occasionaly, but he's still developing.

Houston starts for this year will be Mo-T, KT, Francis, and Mobley. They will do 70% of the scoring. Yao, Griffin, and Boki will add maybe 15-20% if things work out well.

Expect Boki to average maybe 10 minutes a game this season, Yao 15, and Griffin 25-30.

14. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I doubt Yao will only get 15 mpg. Only thing that could do that is VERY BAD foul trouble. Chances are that Yao will start for the Rockets very soon into the season, seeing how he's better than Cato skillwise. Actually, I'm still debating with myself whether or not he'd start the 1st game. Yao is a no.1 pick and is the best center on the team. He just needs experience, which may take some time. But 15 mpg is a little low. That's leaving 33 mpg to Cato or others. (Mo,EG,Collier.)

Sorry for going a little off-topic.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No for both of them.We need KT because Mo is coming off a serious injury and has missed the entire seson last year.Griffin is inexperienced and needs time to develop as a PF.KT can also get some minutes as a reserve SF if Rice can't make a strong comeback.
    We should either resign Oscar Torres or go for Voshon Leonard for the reserve SG spot.

16. SxAxTxAxNx666

SxAxTxAxNx666 Member

The only trade I am interested in, is something including Grant Hill, otherwise, I don't see us needing that. Seeing how unlikely that is, I'll go on a limb and say no trades fro a while.... At least, until we see the stability of this team...

Alan:)

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's not really correct. The trade restriction on Davis only applies if he is traded along with other players. He can be traded alone at any time.

Would I do it? Depends on how Griffin and Taylor are performing right now, and/or in training camp to determine how expendable KT is.

18. Stevie Francis

i thought KT had a lot more trade value then that.

19. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Grant Hill, You must be kidding? That guy hasnt been healthy since Noah was building the ark!!!

20. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I would do either trade. The Rockets will need a designated sharpshooter if Rice disappoints, plus Tayshaun Prince has a lot of potential and is versatile. This also would open up a starting spot for Eddie so I'm all for it.