1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ESPN] New York Knicks Making Progress on Carmelo Anthony Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, Oct 19, 2010.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You are right. Even if those picks ended not being in the lottery, you're still getting a chance at 1 of the top 16 players left in the 1st rd. We have always seen diamonds in the rough get passed over. We are seeing it now with Ish.

2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Why is this a five star thread in the garm?

3. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Exactly that is everything right now...stats are no indication for what a top talent like melo brings...but dd wont know this cause its not on paper lol.

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This has to kill Knick fans that Dolan is back to being advised by Isiah...I think I read a report earlier in the summer that Walsh and many NY staffers flipped when it came out that Isiah was personally advising Dolan now.... This may seem obvious but:
    - no good can come of listening to Isiah in GM decisions
    - no good can come of screwing your GM and staff by going around all of them to be advised by the last regime who your current staff has been trying to clean up after for the last few years.
    -even if you end up with Melo you can still lose by stripping your team of talent Melo+Stoudamire+Felton is NOT the same thing as Wade/Lebron/Bosh.

...Knicks fans are just going to have to turn their back on the Knicks until Dolan is gone because it's clear he has no intention of putting anyone else's interests(even business interests) ahead of his own personal ones.

5. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

wrong. picks are worthless. heres where your wrong,

the 2011 pick is not the rockets unless the knicks have a worse record than rockets. otherwise it is WORTHLESS. the rockets are known around the league for injuries and even healthy i think a felton/amare/melo team will have a better record than rockets

which means,the 2011 pick is worthless because the rockets WONT EVEN OWN IT

the rockets own outright the 2012 pick....well,if the knicks by then get chris paul,then the pick will be worthless,it will be at #29 range which is WORSE than a 2nd round pick because you have to pay guaranteed salary for a 29 pick, but a early 2nd pick costs less with the same talent. Teams would rather have early 2nds instead of late late 1sts with guaranteed money.

so, both picks SUCK.

the rockets should have traded this years #14(patpat) to cleveland for a unprotected 2011 first. cleveland takes it because they were trying to keep lebron and now they will have the worst record in league. morey could have turned a #14 2010 pick into a #1 2011 easily.now THAT would have been an asset that gets teams attention.

6. megastahr

Im sorry I was always taught that start and they first thing you do, basically mean the same thing...ok so you understand better. They will always START with a Yao play. That will be their Start option, then they have their the 2nd start option when and if that fails... :rolleyes:

7. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

wrong. we lose the 2011 pick because knicks will be better than us, and the 2012 pick will be more worthless than an early 2nd because of guaranteed money

rockets should have done the tmac/lowry for dalembert/iggy trade, then trade landry/battier for martin

les wont pay lyx tax, that makes moreys job impossible.

8. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

Good point.

There was a time this summer when I did want Melo, but before and after that, I didn't.

IMO, Melo does make his teammates better, but in a bit of a ball hog kinda way. I think players like Wade, James, Durant, Garnet, Duncan, Howard all make their teammates better that compared to Melo.

I continue to hope Melo will end up anywhere besides here & NYC, but it's starting to look more & more like the Melo camp is driving the bus and the only possible destination is the Big Apple.

1 person likes this.
  9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good point. Also, something like the trade below would save the Nuggs a ton of money (and get them close to the luxury tax limit).

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2db286f

10. megastahr

Know what would be genius to do a 3 team deal like your sayings but you wont be trading melos current salary...youd be trading his extended salary. If I am not mistaken if he resigns with nugs before a certain date that salary goes in effect this year.

That means he could resign say a 4 or 5 year deal. 1st year match the 14 or 15 mil player exception that youd need from cle or tor...and then have it back loaded for max money the next 3 years. Thats actually a better deal for him and helps team facilitate a trade.

Dang someone call morey and tell him to hire me.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Stop living up to your Brian-Chapman-is-an-idiot stereotype, man!

12. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Thought you said everyone's the first option..
    Well, look at the 02 Kings, when they need a basket, almost always dump the ball inside to Webber for a post up play. I'd say he's the first option in that Adelman's offense system..not Doug Christie.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, they will not always start a play with Yao, they will start a play with whatever the defense is giving up....sometimes Yao, sometimes Brooks, sometimes Scola, sometimes Martin.

So, who is the first option in that scenario?

DD

#213 DaDakota, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Actually, old Brian is really making very good points here. The only thing i question is the fact he is basing all of this on NY's record being better than Houston's. Purely an assumption.

15. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

DM could have made a deal for Carmelo, if he had really wanted to. Maybe not now, now that NY is actually looking like they can pull it off. Carmelo has no reason to go anywhere but NY.

DM is all about making one good deal after another, and he isn't too much into reaching. He's just waiting for a good deal. Does he wait too long? Maybe, but I think he probably knows what he's doing.

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

In your scenario, what's causing the defense to leave someone open?

17. megastahr

Circular reasoning??? lol This makes no sense. First option or starting playing whatever you can understand.

Is which player they use to generate the offense the most. Its not the first play of the game. The defense doesnt give you anything until you start your play...lol. How can you not understand that. The defense is in perfect formation 9 times out of ten on a regular bring the ball up play.. They arent givning you anything.

After you initiate the offense by using your play calling with your first option yao ming. They then set into motion defensive strategy. That strategy then is exploited by the read and react offense. As i mentioned it is only in use in transition and after the initial play call from the PG has failed.

Prime example. Aaron brooks brings the ball up. Puts fist in the air. (called play Yao in Post). As soon as this happens the D can play single coverage then that means Yao takes shot. Or they can double team or front. Either of these options leave them weak somewhere.

Then Yao passes out and the rockests read and react accordingly.. Id hate to be the team you coach lol.

1 person likes this.
  18. megastahr

Exactly...he cant grasp that for some reason. I think its the wording. If you say start play with yao instead of yao is the first one that gets the ball it makes it easier. :rolleyes:

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

that post just put someone in their place.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"The" is the "royal" the, as in one of a million trade scenarios in this thread, and particularly the other one, for the guy this topic is about, for which we have endless pages of opinions, as you know perfectly well, just as you know I was referring to a trade for this cat involving AB. And you consider...

...a jab? Of course you would, because you don't consider numerous comparisons by you of Anthony to McGrady to be "over the top." I just don't understand why you feel the need to approach discussions involving a deal for Anthony as a deal to get a "low character guy," who's another "Tracy McGrady." Geez, DD, I guess you can't help yourself. You keep making those comparisons, and I'll keep "jabbing," if that's how you want to view it. As for Brooks being the "alpha dog" of this team, I'm going to assume that you mean Brooks is the best player, as well as the leader of the Rockets. Correct me if I'm wrong! (don't want any misunderstandings!) I'll just finish with I disagree. One of the top players, certainly. One of the leaders? Well, I hope so, but The Alpha Dog, no, he is not, at least in my opinion.

Sorry it took so long to respond, but I was busy getting whatever hair I have left trimmed and eating lunch. (have you had the blackened catfish Veracruz at Threadgill's on Rverside? Delicious! :))

SHEESH!!