1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] New York Knicks Making Progress on Carmelo Anthony Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMania1991, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't know, but my hunch would be no. If Denver is looking for a good first round pick, potentially lottery, I think the odds are a lot lower for the Knicks 2011 pick being that kind of quality if they're sending Melo to the Knicks to do it. I never rule out Morey though.

If you're looking for a pick in the 15-25 range, it just doesn't seem like that should be a dealbreaker for Denver. Those types of picks can be bought more these days (at least it seems that way).

2. RocketMania1991

A Carmelo/Felton/Amare starting three is very formidable.

They will not be vying for the 8th spot, if anything they will be the 6th seed or above.

If they get Melo these are the teams I see better than them in the East

Orlando
    Boston
    Miami
    Chicago
    Atlanta

I don't see any other team in the East not on that list that could compare to a starting 3 of those players.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Could Golden State get in on this, would their pick be attractive to Denver?

DD

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Forgot about the Felton signing.

Do you think they're a playoff team without making a trade?

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

So NYC still doesn't have a 1st round pick to trade yet. And they're still not certain if they want to part with Gallo. Not exactly 'splash' type news.

How does a Anthony Randolph, Expiring contract of Eddy Curry and a 1st (which they don't yet have) top anything we can offer? That offer sucks.

The Favors offer is the best Denver is going to get. Even though he looks terrible so far, he has all-star potential and 4 years on cheap rookie contract to develop said potential.

I'd still take a Favors deal over a Gallo deal.

I don't get how Houston can't put together a better deal. We could offer them any combination of:

1) a 20pt scorer (Brooks or Martin)
    2) a cheap, solid (and still developing) wing in Budinger
    3) a cheap developing post in Hill or Patterson
    4) expirings - Battier or Jeffries
    5) and multiple 1st round picks.

How in the world is a Gallo deal better than any of that?

6. RocketMania1991

Without Melo I'd say there borderline 8th seed or lottery.
    Also they are one Amare injury away from tha cellar.

But that's just my opinion.

7. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

THIS /\

8. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

its because melo does not want to play for houston....period.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I am on the Pacers bandwagon this year, Collison will breakout this season and Granger will be dynamic. Also look out for Hibbert to take a BIG step forward. Also Washington with Wall/Agent Stupid and McGee could be a DANGEROUS team.

If they make this deal then I think they will battle Indiana and Washington for the 8th spot in the East.

10. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

you see the knick game tonight? add melo and they are top 3.

heat
    magic
    knicks

i left out bulls because of boozers injury

11. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

why would a team give up a potential future lotto pick to denver in exchange for wilson chandler or even gallo . not worth it. I hear its spurs. Spurs want chandler. Spurs will be good and have a pick around #20.

Its fine. scola>gallo

budinger>randolph

moreys work is done. this team is ready. stay healthy and we are top 3 in west.

12. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

honestly id rather have budinger.

im usually a negative person, but gallo just sucks..he is overrated because he plays in NY

13. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I think you're onto something here. Melo and Amare are known for filling up a serious stat sheet, but neither one of those guys has any kind of reputation for making their teammates better.

Amare has piggy backed off Steve Nash his whole career. While I don't think he'll have a huge drop off statistically, I don't think his overall impact is that great. Also, the Knicks lost David Lee this summer, who was a 20-10 guy in his own right. Amare may be the better player, but by how much?

Carmelo has always been a big time scorer, but he doesn't do much else to help his team. True superstars like Lebron and Wade, also pile up the assists, rebound, and change the game defensively. Melo....not so much. Denver wasn't really a serious contender until the Nuggets picked up Chauncey Billups. He gave that team the leadership it needed to make the talent work.

Billups had a ring already. Steve Nash was MVP. I don't think either of Melo or Amare is all that excited to listen Raymond Felton tell them what their role is going to be on offense. If they run the same system Phoenix used to they will score a lot of points, but I don't know if they're a guarantee to win all that much.

Still probably a playoff team in the east though...

1 person likes this.
  14. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

i disagree on paul heres why

knicks are trading all their assets to denver for melo...they also will be resigning melo, paul will not sign outright with knicks because he would be losing alot of money instead of sign and trade..he might do it but i doubt it..they cant trade for paul...and after they resign melo im not sure they even have enough cap space for paul

i think paul = portland one day

it will be felton/amare/melo.....very good but never good enough to take down heat.

on side note, finally got to watch melos wedding on vh1...bugeyed lala is uglyier than i thought, older than i thought, and damn melo made a huge mistake....he should have went with skinny hotties ala baywatch and sign a prenup and played for rockets because kobe is hurting/bynum is done, and the west is open unlike the east.

melo thinks he can get movie gigs being in NY...oh well,let him get injured with amare and we can all laugh about it in a couple of years.

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You're right, and scanning that roster, they are weak after their top 2-3 if they lose all those players... but I think decent role guys are easy to acquire once you get your star duo or trio. New York would become a desirable location once again because you've got star leaders and lots of playing time opportunity.

Good question. I tend to think they're on the bubble, around 9th or so... it's hard to say with a D'Antoni team. But some weak East team is going to make the playoffs and I'm just hoping it's not the Knicks. The difference between being the 8th seed and 9th seed in the East could be 3-4 spots in the draft.

16. AQS18

AQS18 Member

Clutch, do you think Morey would trade for Melo without the assumption that Melo would agree to an extension?

Maybe convince him to sign it after we start off 15-0 with a Melo-Yao combo.

17. RocketMania1991

Carmelo doesn't make his team better........what?

You do realize the Nuggets won 17 games, the next year they hard Carmelo they won 44.

So I don't really know where you are getting "Melo doesn't make his teammates better" crap.

Just because it looks like Melo is headed to NYC everyone wants to rag on him now and make up false stats. Had he been headed to Houston we would all be riding his coat tails.

18. AQS18

AQS18 Member

At this point, I really don't see Morey going after a big name like Melo.

I think maybe later on closer to the deadline, but I don't see him trying to mess up the chemisty that this team developed in the preseason and china trip.

Plus, I get the feeling that Adelman doesn't like players like Melo after the whole Tracy drama the last couple of seasons. I think any trade has to be approved by Adelman.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Article is worthless.

All it states is that the Knicks have softened their stance on trading Gallo.

That is all that was said and absolutely nothing more.

The headline from ESPN is misleading and terrible.

The only thing I get from the article is that maybe a trade would be Curry, Randolph, Gallo, Douglas, and a first.

20. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I'm not Clutch, but I don't think Morey would offer the kind of assets to Denver that NY is willing to offer without some kind of assurance from Carmelo that he would sign an extension. NY is Melo's perceived first choice, so the Knicks have less concerns about him bolting for another team after the season.

With him coming to Houston it's a different situation. Without any assurance, Morey would have to be hesitant to give up very much because it could set the team back long term. But, if he has that assurance, he could easily make a offer that is at least competitive with what the Knicks could offer, including those Knick draft picks.