1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Make Cuts - Ish Smith Makes Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

Congrats, Dish Smith!

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of Polymer Records?

3. Audioout

Audioout Member

Funny thing to say considering he's been a part of the team during the regular season twice already. One year he even played significant minutes during the playoffs.

Also, if we make a trade that has us short one SF you can bet we'd be calling him up again.

4. hm70

hm70 Member

Congratulations Ish!!!
    Sorry Mike... :confused:

5. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

I think I pretty much have a man crush on Ish . . . GREAT STORY!!!!

You know teams were drooling - waiting for him to get cut. True PG who passes "like the game slows down." Rare breed !!!!

ISHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We will win another DLeague trophy! :)

7. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I've seen him. He's not that funny-looking..

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Lmao poor harris.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Most int'l rosters, as I understand it, are largely set by now. Few openings remain, at least in bigger leagues.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

yay!

I was fairly certain that would be the results since he's really the only player who had an opportunity in the preseason games.

Honestly, we needed a third pg that we could count on. :) Glad to have Ish on the team!

11. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

woo hoo it's always nice to see a guy like ish make the team. i was rooting for him the whole way.

12. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Congrats to Ishmael! Good luck Mike Harris, I doubt he will sign with us again after this.

On Smith, I am guessing Morey and Adelman are worried about Lowry's health or considering trading him or Brooks, because last season and the year before, they weren't high on signing a permanent 15th player to the roster.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Harris has an offer from a team in China on the table.

14. Jet036

Jet036 Member

I think that's the fifth time we've waived Harris in the past 2 years.

15. The Hungarian Rocket

[chron] Four players cut as roster reduced to 15

Ladies and Gentlemen! The winner is............. Ishmael Smith ;)

link

The Rockets reduced their roster to the 15-player limit to begin the season by waiving guard Antonio Anderson, forward Mike Harris, forward Alexander Johnson and guard Jerel McNeal on Monday.

The deadline for rosters to be finalized is Thursday.

“We felt it was best to just do it now,” coach Rick Adelman said. “We’re done unless there is a change of some kind.”

With the Rockets nearing the Oct. 26 opener against the Lakers at L.A., Adelman said it became increasingly difficult to get any of the players who were cut on the floor. Because Jordan Hill and Brad Miller needed minutes, Johnson saw action in only one preseason game.

“We just had no room,” Adelman said. “Our hands were tied.”

McNeal was signed to the roster last week while the team was in China.

Harris among cuts

One of the casualties of Monday’s roster cuts was forward Mike Harris, the former Rice star who came up short again in his attempt to make the team out of the preseason.

Between stints with the Rockets last season, Harris led the Rio Grande Valley Vipers to the NBA Development League championship and was named Most Valuable
Player.

“He’ll be back,” forward Shane Battier said. “He’s too good of a player, and he knows the game. Once he finds his niche on a team, he’ll stick.”

Scola back with team

Forward Luis Scola rejoined the team for practice Monday at Toyota Center after leaving the China trip early to be back in Houston for the birth of his fourth child, a son named Lucas.

Scola made the 19-hour flight home and arrived Thursday with about three or four hours to spare.

“It’s always special,” Scola said. “Amazingly, I got home in time. I took a couple of days at home, and now I’m ready to get back to practice and focus on the first game of the season.”

Smith impresses

Rockets coach Rick Adelman said Ishmael Smith, an undrafted rookie guard, has been the surprise player of camp.

Smith has averaged five points and 3.3 assists while averaging 17 minutes during the preseason. During the NBA Summer League, the Wake Forest product led the Rockets in assists (4.8 per game). Adelman called Smith “the best passer in camp.”

“All through summer league he was good, but you never know what that’s going to translate into camp,” Adelman said. “He’s been terrific every time we use him. He’s never backed down. We knew he could play, but he’s been very consistent.”

Smith said he will assume whatever role the Rockets need.

“If I have to impersonate Chris Paul, Tony Parker or whoever it is to get the guys ready, I’m going to do that,” he said. “When my number is called, I’ll be ready.”

joseph.duarte@chron.com

16. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

17. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

Unless someone guarantees those guys a roster spot. Which wont happen. No way those guys don't go back to the Vipers.

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Harris needs to cut his ties with the Rox and hook up with another NBA team, this must be his 3rd year trying to make the team.

19. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Yup and its a shame because Harris is definitely an NBA caliber

20. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

He'll never make the Rockets;

Get the hell out of the Rockets/Viper system or go to China to make some money before he is too old.