1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn]Hakeem Olajuwon, 47, looks like he can still play ‎

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 11, 2010.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

to be fair, it was also 93. and every other year they both played in the league!

2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's why Hakeem kept telling Yao to use his height against other players. Don't bring the ball down. Play big.

3. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

doesn't it look like they're taking an extra step??? I think they're traveling.. Im i right??

5. Steve_Francis_rules

And Howard is beyond the basics? Luis Scola has a far more refined post game than Howard ever will.

6. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

IM I RIGHT????

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

UR U RIGHT.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

And don't forget that both Dream and Deke are 3 years older than their listed age.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yep, he's probably 50 or older.

10. rox81

rox81 Member

Exactly. Use your height to dunk. You needn't be quick nor have great footwork nor be a great shooter to dunk. When you get the ball directly under the hoop and you're taller than anyone around you, go up strong for the dunk. Score, or get fouled, or both. It's a high-percentage shot. Somehow Yao hasn't figured this out.

11. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

Dwight is a young superstar with the athletic ability to become an all-time great. Scola is never going to be much more than he is right now, which is excellent, but he doesn't have much to gain with Hakeem.

12. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

With all due respect, Hakeem stopped being able to play in the NBA in, like, 1998. Once he lost his bounce, his whole game was gone.

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm one of the biggest hakeem fans ever and we have the same birthday, but after hakeem got married to that youngster, his energy was shot. He was not nearly the same player and was basically done. He married a 17 yr old and was sapped of all extra energy.

14. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Hakeem Olajuwon, 1999
    PPG - 18.9
    RPG - 9.6
    BPG - 2.5
    SPG - 1.6
    All-NBA Third Team

15. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2007/05/the_dreams_dream_yao_ming_stud.html

Too bad they removed the video clip but Hakeem has taught Yao some moves, but like everyone else states, Yao is about 5/6 inches too tall to be that mobile without injuring himself. He still has height, free throw shooting and a phenomenal range on that jumper of his to compensate on the mobility issue.

Dwight Howard did show some of those moves against the Rockets when they were here last week. Hopefully Vince Carter mans up and actually plays for a new contract, I'd rather see the Magic win the ECF than the Heat or the Celtics, but thats just me.

16. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

backup for yao ...? ;) ;) ;)

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'd take him off the bench, Mutumbo-style, any day, over any backup center in the league.

18. makman

makman Member

not exactly, she was in her 20's and it's called aging

19. makman

makman Member

If Dwight could be half as good as Hakeem in the post he'd be the best player in the league hands down combined with his defensive abilities and athleticism. But he's stiff compared to dream and actually using those moves in a game setting is a bigger challenge. Not saying it would ever happen but J.Hill has the size and athleticism to be a broke man's Hakeem.

Hakeem looks good and he could play with a Yao schedule cut in half maybe down to 12-15 min a night no back to backs. I'd rather have that than Dampier for an entire season.

20. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Run back the highlights of that Orlando preseason game and I definitely saw several dream type moves Howard was trying including a nice shake to the baseline off the glass on the left elbow