1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thanks Mr. President

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Oct 10, 2010.

1. cml750

cml750 Member

The Affordable Health Care Act has caused my medical insurance premiums to increase way more than they ever have in one years time. I am quite sure as Americans learn how much their premiums are going up, they will be even more inclined to vote November 2. It is unfortunate for the President and the Democrats that elections are held in November and most employers start their next years health insurance enrollments in October. It is crazy how much the "Affordable" Act caused my portion of my medical premiums to increase. :mad:

1 person likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Do you have any proof of your claims?

1 person likes this.
  3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What were your percentage increases over the past 4 years?

1 person likes this.
  4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im self employed and have to buy my own health insurance and from 04-08 mine almost doubled in cost.

THANKS ALOT OBAMA!

5. YaosDirtyStache

I own my own business, buy my own health care for me and 14 full time employees (plus their families), and my premiums have yet to increase.

Thanks Obama, for not LOWERING MY COST!

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I negotiate the preimums for my company of 40 employees and our premiums have been inceasing at a rate of 15-25% a year for 5 years.

Thanks a lot Commie Obama!!! :rolleyes:

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i was being sarcastic - my premiums have not gone up since obama took office. it was during the bush years that they went thru the roof - but republicans/bush supporters didnt make a peep then.

8. Major

Major Member

That's interesting, given that all the premium increases this year are based on actuarial decisions based on numbers prior to this year. In other words, none of the premium increases this year have anything to do with the bill that passed this year.

So the Affordable Health Care Act was specifically done because of the premium increases you are complaining about (as was seen with Well Points' increases earlier this year). Your opposition to the Act suggests you are in favor of the increases you're simultaneously whining about. Or, you're just clueless.

2 people like this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That should about do it for the OP's complaint and reason for starting this thread.

Maybe the Thanks Mr. President is no longer sarcastic.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he is referring to President Bush.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Insurance premiums are going to go up and it will be due to the health care bill. Insurance companies have already claimed this.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703720004575478200948908976.html

12. BrotherFish

BrotherFish Contributing Member

I agree 100%!

I was using my wife's insurance till now--she works for a hospital system in Houston. With the new ObamaCare, we now have to almost pay twice what we paid before per paycheck! Now, it’s almost $600 per paycheck now. Also, there is now a $100 surcharge you we have to pay to add your spouse, if their employer provides health insurance. Also, our deductibles almost tripled! :mad: :mad:

Also, my wife has to take a mandatory wellness checkup or her deductable go up even higher.

Also, for those that think the Obamacare has not kicked in, all the other provisions are included-- such as no lifetime limits, college age is 26/27(can't recall exactly which one), etc..)

So, when everyone goes to renew their plans this year, the "redistribution of wealth" will be hit home for millions.

This is no mere increase in premiums--this is a radical change in the system. Obamacare is designed to destroy all the "great" plans. Of course, the only exceptions are for those who wrote the bill--they will not see any effect in their plans.

I now have to go back to my employer’s crappy plan. :( I am sure when they unveil it in a few weeks; it will be crappier than before.

The only good news is that this is happening right before the Nov. elections. :)

#12 BrotherFish, Oct 10, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
    2 people like this.
  13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Nice to see we're defining the right to health care as wealth, in the richest and most medically advanced country in the world, no less. Honestly, if this thing is bound to be repealed here's hoping your and my premiums quadruple before then.

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Jesus Christ! Did a STUPID bomb go off in this thread or what?

15. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=AET#chart1:symbol=aet;range=my;compare=ci+unh+wlp+^gspc;indicator=ke_ud+volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

See the dips in insurance company stock ever since Obama took office? Obama is killing the industry. These company need to make money for the stock holders. They can't do that if they HAVE to provide health care and keep the price reasonable. It's just free market in action. I cry every time I think about the margin that Obamacare will wipe out. As a capitalist nation, we need to fight for the health of the insurance industry

1 person likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

If I were an insurance company and I was continuing to raise rates, I would blame it on someone else if I could too. The inconvenient fact is that they have been consistently raising rates for years, so that excuse doesn't hold. Well Point just tried to raise rates 20-40% on those individual policies this past year alone - before the reform bill.

17. tallanvor

Insurance companies love the bill. It forces all Americans to have health insurance. With desire for repeal already so high, why would they blame the bill for raised premiums if it wasn't so? If they wanted to lie they would blame something they don't love, like say: "our premiums are going up because of the bad economy".

18. Major

Major Member

Because they escape all the blame that way. They got all the benefits of the bill, but if they can scapegoat it, they are in perfect shape. Outside of stupid tea partiers, everyone knows the bill is not getting repealed and the mandate's not going away, so that's not really relevant. What they certainly can hope for is a GOP Congress that will try to loosen the regulations and restrictions - the best of both worlds for them.

19. Major

Major Member

And just FYI, the insurance companies opposed the bill - so, no, they don't love the bill. They love certain aspects of the bill like the mandate. They are opposed to the regulations and requirements that come with it.

20. tallanvor

I can see small insurance companies not liking this, but large insurance companies love regulations and requirements. With crony capitalism, the big companies destroy the small ones.