1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What PodCasts do you listen to?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eric.81, Sep 24, 2010.

1. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

my biggest problem with T is that half of what she does is simply duplicate what Adam just said, but in different, bigger words. Where's the comedy in that?

Adam: "why don't people turn on red? It's because we let all these damn foreigners into our country who don't understand English and only pass the DMV exam because the filipino examiner's grandfather was from the same village as that dude's grandpa in Manila!"

T: "right. because citizens of foreign nations are let into our domicile and are given the right to manipulate a motor vehicle without obtaining permission through fair and just means."

Adam: "exactly!"

All T does is direct Adam. She brings no funny herself. Uh-oh, I'm starting to sound like one of the Carollatards on the carolla message board!

2. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

and m_cable, how about you come down from Mt. Pious and appreciate Dr. Funny Dave with the rest of us mortals in the Shek Republic?

Or are you a Feeny bopper aka member of the Feenster's Union?

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I guess I'm the jerk of the week (that's his schtick, right?) because I'm going to have to pass. I fear that if I had to listen to Dameshek's nasally jackhammer (Adam is a nasally drone, Dave is more like a jackhammer) for an hour a week, I'd blow my brains out. I admit that he's an interesting character and a funny dude, but I just can't get over the voice.

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

To each his own of course. But for flubbing the title of the schtick, you sir, are the CREEP of the week.

Just remember... I didn't do this to you... YOU did this to you.

I'm kidding, of course. I love Dr. Shek, but I can completely understand why anyone wouldn't. Most definitely an aquired taste.

5. m_cable

On a different note, I just listened to the newest Jay and Silent Bob Get Old and it was some really compelling stuff. They told the story of Jason Mewes' most recent fall off the wagon after 5-6 years of sobriety. And then they explained that they're doing the weekly show as some kind of psuedo-therapeutic, watchdog podcast in order to keep Jay sober.

I got to admit, I got a bit choked up when Kevin Smith talked about doing the show once a week until they're 80 if it'll keep Jay off the drugs.

6. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

BS Report
    BaD Radio-1310 the Ticket
    Dan Patrick Show
    Tony Kornheiser show
    Kidd Kraddick show-Kiss fm
    The Guardian- Football weekly podcast
    Soccernet podcast

I need some more non-sports podcasts

7. eric.81

If you like standup comedy, then WTF with Marc Maron and Fitzdog Radio with Greg Fitzsimmons are probably the best. Both are really good. Maron has had some extremely compelling interviews, most notably the episode with Carlos Mencia and the one with Judd Apatow.

8. VanityHalfBlack

WTF with Marc Maron is excellent, He recently did a whole episode dedicated to Robert Schimmel and Greg Giraldo, very touching to say the least...

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I saw this recently: A Fairly Comprehensive Guide to Comedy Podcasts via Gizmodo.

While I disagree with some of their opinions, I decided to check out WTF w/ Marc Maron. I only listened to one so far (David Cross guests) but I will definitely give this one a try.

I also listened to Nerdist. It's another one I'll be keeping an eye (ear?) on. It guested Paul Scheer who I think is hilarious, and the episode itself was hilarious, so I'm curious to hear how a 'regular' show is.

From their website and recommendations here I'll give Fitzsimmons' podcast a try next time.

When you think about it, Smith gave him an acting career, including the lead of a major movie studio film (Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back). And he's constantly tried to keep him out of drugs and foot the bill for his many rehabs. Mewes really has a good friend there.

10. eric.81

Just listened to that one this morning. Very emotional. I was super bummed to hear about Giraldo. I have 2 of his albums and they're both fantastic. His first Comedy Central special had me in tears... so funny.

I just started listening to Sklarbro Country and have really enjoyed it. Never been a huge fan of the Sklar Brothers, but since I sit in traffic for at least an hour and half every day, and spend the in-between time at a cubicle, I gave it a shot. Funny stuff.

Anyone else listen to Comedy Death Ray Radio? There have been multiple episodes that just SLAYED me.

11. m_cable

I find it funny how the only two podcasts he specifically doesn't recommend are by far the most popular ones on the list (Adam Carolla and Smodcast). And he attributes their popularity strictly to their diehard fanbase. I don't disagree with that at all but that's the thing about podcasts (and radio before it), it really is the most intimate form of entertainment.

You listen to people for years and you really get to know them. And the familiarity becomes almost as important as the quality of the show. It's almost like you have a one-way friendship with these people. And it's not like you add and drop friends based on how "good" they are, but more on the relationship that you've built up with them. At that point it'll take a big dip in the quality of the show to make most people drop it. Which hasn't happened IMO with Carolla or Smodcast.

So yeah, I think this guy has a point. But I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of if you're a fan of these shows. And his holier-than-thou attitude is a bit myopic.

The Nerdist is very good. The hosts have a lot of chemistry with each other, they're very quick and humorous. Hardwick is great at the longform interview while still keeping it light and bringing the funny. There's a nerd angle but it's not overwhelming. It's not like you're listening to a podcast by the characters on big bang theory. It's just that many of their pop-culture references and jokes have a bit of a nerdy bent. But if you are a bit of a nerd, then this podcast is pretty much the perfect show.

12. eric.81

Didn't want to quote your whole post...

Excellent post, I agree with everything you said, and I will be adding The Nerdist podcast on your recommendation.

13. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I used to listen to The Nerdist podcast for a few months... I finally tired of it because it stunk of the "we're so nerdy, we're actually cool" vibe... which i can't stand in the alt comedy world.

I do, however, love me some Fitzdog Radio. I'm actually really behind and haven't listened to any since he interviewed Bob Saget (which was a very odd podcast).

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Yeah, I appreciate any nerd/geek references anyone can throw at me. It's a plus for me. I always assumed Hardwick landed a gig at G4 for being a stand-up and having previous TV experience. Now I wonder if it turned him into someone proficient in geek stuff or he had that previously.

As for the article's disdain for Smodcast and Carolla, I just chalk it up to a difference in opinion. Although calling it successful just because of die hard fans is like putting the chicken before the egg imho. Kevin Smith will always get a pass from me for Clerks, but if the Smodcast sucked I would stop listening immediately. I don't think I'm alone on that. Definitely acquired tastes though (I don't particularly care for Carolla).

15. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

sorry to bump an old thread, but recently got the stitcher app for iphone. i favorited a lot of the ones already mentioned. anyone have any others? this american life isnt avail on that stitcher app, hopefully it will be soon, that has gotten lots of praise, curious in hearing that. stereolab i think its called, also gets a lot of recommendations, but i listened to about 10 min of one of them and didnt seem like my type of thing.

not looking for anything specific, just name em, i'll give em a listen

16. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

You can always stream This American Life through the Itunes app on your iphone

17. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

*necro bump*

is this podcast still alive and kicking? looking on itunes it looks like last episode was in august. is he taking a break or did he stop?

18. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

he takes a long time to put out his shows, considering the amount of work that gets put into one I can see why. Also, it might have to do with him being busy doing his other podcast, common sense, which is also a good listen as well.

19. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

ahh ok i figured it might be that. appreciate the response

20. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah dan carlin is awesome! looking forward to part 5 of WW1 even if it's not out until next year :-(