1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Chron)Rockets report: Hill among team's camp standouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by littlemouse, Oct 3, 2010.

1. gdenfield

gdenfield Member

Didn't see anyone comment on the following: but I'm kind of bummed hearing people weren't very into it today. I realize that it was just a scrimmage after a week's worth of drilling but the way other news had gone this offseason I was expecting full intensity from these guys no matter the circumstances - since we're supposed to have a lot of heart and our players are supposed to be the hard workers (not saying they aren't, btw). Just threw me off a little bit to hear they were slacking, and just relating that that was surprising and disappointing. I guess no one else heard any alarms sounded with coach's comments though, seeing as all the discussion was on Jordan Hill being fully recovered and performing well (which is great news)

2. Depressio

Depressio Member

People seem to forget what Jordan Hill did last season; good video post. He wasn't a superstar, but he was pretty solid for a rookie PF. A bad Summer League due to turf toe suddenly undoes all of that? Really? You value Summer League play as more of an indicator than the regular season?

3. jfidd11

jfidd11 Member

Is there any place we can watch footage of training camp? The heat have nba.com dedicated to almost every practice they've had.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Notice the common variable there?

Clutchfans overrate guys with less playing time and underrate the guys who get more playing time.

The starters (TMac, Yao, Brooks, Ariza, Battier, Martin) all have their outspoken detractors or groups of haters. The bench brigade (Lowry, Budinger, Taylor, Wafer, Landry) all have their outspoken fanboys and fans fixated on 'potential'. Not saying either group is right, but it is one of the common themes of Clutchfans.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm glad Hill is receiving positive reviews, even IF it is for 'pumping up his trade value'.

The turf toe injury was actually a good revelation; it means we can have a little more optimism for this guy. All around good right now.

6. BMoney

BMoney Member

You don't get to talk out of your ass and then accuse other people of not living in the real world.

7. BetterThanEver

Dampier is not signed to the Rockets. There are only 2 Cs, one of them missed 82 games last year. They have mentioned using Hill as a backup C. Trade is not neccessary, as there is room for 15 players.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

That's Mr. frickin Vandolay, alright. Step off and recognize b/c real world or fake world, you'll never reach anywhere near his architectural status :grin:

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I am really disappointed to see that Martin's strength training in the off season was just a bunch of bs.

I'm glad to see Hill had turf toe in the summer league cause he really looked like crappy out there. Hopefully, we don't end up with dampier cause I'd like to see what Hill can offer after having a year under his belt.

10. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If you say so, ChrisBosh. :grin:

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

how so? Did you expect his body to suddenly change after 7 years?

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He's probably gotten sronger. It may not show so much.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yeah...if you workout and do weight training you get bigger and stronger. That's how it works. It doesn't take that long to start seeing results.

14. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

very good to hear, I though he wasn't that good.

15. delishman

delishman Member

No way I saw Jordan Hill in the summer league and I read an article about how Alexander Johnson beat him this one time and a drill so Im like at least 92% sure he just isn't a good player.

I mean I watched him last season and everyone was super impressed and thought he was maybe our best young asset and a solution at the 5 because hes athletic,tall, and has solid touch but if you know anything about NBA basketball its that summer league and training camp reports are way more important than the season.

I was wary last year when everyone was on J.Hill's jockstrap.

I am in disbelief of how many people have jumped off it based on off season workouts.

The truth is somewhere in between.

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Member

go back to hungary you damn hungarian!

:mad:

17. littlemouse

littlemouse Member

but they need to consider is that good for him! because he is known as a great shooter, his ability to cut and draw fouls by his pump fake and his quickness. not just increase his weight...

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have to admit that I was hoping Martin might have gained 5 pounds from what was, by every account I read, a very rigorous workout schedule this off-season. Maybe he did and he's just used to saying "185!" ;)

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Tell that to Tayshaun Prince or Reggie Miller. It's just Martin's build and who knows if it has anything to do with his injuries. Tracy McGrady wasn't too skinny and he was oft injured. Greg Oden and Blake Griffin come to mind as impressive physical specimens with injury problems. I really don't know that weight has all that much to do with it. Some players are injury prone, others aren't.

20. BigM

BigM Member

Honest question but has Kevin Martin ever sustained an injury due to him being too thin? I think his bodyweight is fine. He makes a light-hearted joke about himself and some a$$hole actually takes it to mean his offseason program didn't do anything. c'mon now.