1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooks on Lowry making more than him from the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmac2k8, Jul 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I second that! ;)

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Wow, good call tmac2k8. I apologize for criticizing.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I somewhat understand his desire to get paid based on his performance last season but there are so many factors going against an extension now that pouting just seems unreasonable.

-He's on a rookie contract. Unlike the NFL, NBA rookie contracts are rarely redone or extended early unless the player is a superstud (not there yet Brooksie)
    -Scolowry's contracts were easily a higher priority.
    -His body of work ain't that big.
    -DM is notorious for playing hardball in negotiations.
    -Despite winning the MIP and having a very good season, he still has significant drawbacks - passing and defense.
    -Because of his drawbacks and other physical limitations it may be difficult to establish what his market value is right now. How many teams need/want a 5'10'' PG who doesn't pass or defend well?

It's not the worse thing in the world to for Brooks to play out his contract. If he signed an extension this summer I could see it being for $8-10mil annually. If he puts up an all-star season this year and shows improved passing and defense that number easily goes up to $10+ per year in the open market next summer.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You might as well ask the samething about Miller.

Do you think Miller is upset about Yao making more money than him from the bench?

5. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

haa someone owes someone an apology. it's time to nut up or shut up!

6. adammendoza4

adammendoza4 Member

Yea plus he knows once his contract is up,he'll be gettin paid too,he noes how the contract situations work

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Exactly. What tmac2k8 doesn't understand is that Brooks is actually concerned about a black guy behind him on the bench. As long as we have a black backup PG, Brooks will not be happy playing for the rookie contract.

1 person likes this.
  8. Dei

Dei Member

Yes.

wat?

You should be the one upset.

Anyway, like many others have said, if he meant the other good things he said in that interview, he should've just shut up. How can you interpret something like this as anything else other than a threat?

9. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

At least he didn't say "It's on me". Lol

Brooks doesn't have a choice, plain and simple.

10. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

How did the team feel when T-mac was paid 23mil without playing that much?

11. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

If we did this, we'd be back in the lottery next season

12. javajoe

javajoe Member

Unfortunately, this thread has no substance.

13. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

These are the statements that are crazy......... because AB can easily play 20+ minutes from the bench and being that scoring punch off the bench like Manu, Terry, etc......

14. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

He is still on his Rookie contract, right?

No reason to speak about it. If Brooks keeps playing the way he plays, he'll get his.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't think he'll be content with a backup role. He wants minutes. If he doesn't get minutes he will complain and play at a sub-par level.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

not much of a difference then from when we did have brooks start then

1 person likes this.
  17. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

How do you think he felt when t-mac was making basically 5x his salary and didn't play a game?

18. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

JR Smith, Crawford..

19. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

People here obviously can't admit when they are wrong, the comments earlier to thread was

"brooks cant be upset , it's the way contracts work, he's still on his rookie contract."

"I really think he doesn't care"

"Brooks is a nice goofy guy. He does not care."

Obviously he DOES CARE! The point is not weather he's wrong or right, point is, he's bothered by it. I also made the point to say I doubt it will affect his performance but one can't help but be a little concerned since moral is a very important thing in sports. Even on 610 yesterday, the drive home they asked Jonathan Feigan the same questions, weather this would affect his performance. Agree or disagree, not sure why people made this out to be like the worst thread ever when 2 months later the exact scenario happens and there's pages and pages on the story from the chronicle.

1 person likes this.
  20. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Lowry, Brooks' backup at the point, will earn $5.75 million this season in the first year of a four-year, $23.5 million deal.

"I'm happy for Kyle," Brooks said. "He's a great player, and I'm happy for him, but something could have been done. We could have discussed something, but I guess that's just the business of basketball."

Dunno if he would or would not still be asking for an extension, but that quote above is what you say when your trying to be correct with the media but still got some issues with it.