1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What degree will make more money in Houston, Finance or MIS?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BetterThanEver, Sep 29, 2010.

Tags:
  1. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I've got a bunch of friends in IT. Starting right out of college with a bachelor's degree is about $45K

I can tell you that the market sucks in Houston for a bachelor's degree in marketing and management. I've got a job right now that is not what I have a degree in.

2. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It woudl be after a few years experience. I already make more money than college grads in Houston, if the entry level is 40-45k.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The % of people that work in a field related to their degree is at an all-time low.

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Electrical engineering.

5. BetterThanEver

It must not be true, because I have family that makes over 75k at energy companies right now with only a Bachelors degree and they don't work in IT. They work on the business side of energy.

6. BetterThanEver

I didn't know that you could do that. It will help greatly. I am still not sure if I can get reach 3.8 GPA with a 40-45 hour workweek.

I am concerned that a MIS degree might be worthless with all the outsourcing to India for programming needs. I am also concerned that a finance degree might not be so useful in Houston. I know somebody with a finance degree that makes $10k less than me.

7. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Petroleum Simulation engineering.

8. BetterThanEver

I have never heard of that degree. Is it only available at one college?

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Sorry, I meant to say $75k right out of school. And in energy, at least, if you're not in trading/marketing or on at least a middle-management track, I don't think you're making that without some kind of technical, engineering or law degree. Unless you're overseas, a roughneck, some kind of product controller or work in power distribution; and those jobs tend to be more experience and connection-based than just from some degree.

10. BetterThanEver

My friends are in their late 20s and neither of them went to Ivy league schools. They only have a bachelor's degree and they didn't know anybody.

Both of them are some kind of financial analysts that focus on energy projects such as plants and refineries. There is no trading. The traders at those companies make way more money. They are making over 100k, because they get huge bonuses from the profits they make for the company. If you are saying those jobs are rare, then maybe I don't need to go back to college. If I all I have to look forward to is a job that pays me $40k after a a couple of years experience, then a finance or MIS degree might be a horrible choice. I already make more than that.

11. BetterThanEver

Clarification. The traders are making over 100k. My friends are making over 75k with less than 10 years experience.

12. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Not necessarily. I know people who makes more than that right out of school. Granted it doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. I make that much now with only 2 years of experiences.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'll amend my original list of recommended majors and throw in Accounting, so long as you sit for and pass the CPA. "Pure" finance may be more valuable if keep your grades 3.5 or higher, land a good internship summer of Junior year and get accounting hours and Excel-type skills as I said before. Just for the sake of snippiness, I'll also add that no where in my post did I imply a need for an Ivy league degree, although for a non-sales, high-salary Finance position, it wouldn't hurt.

There's a lot of "demographic," social and political bs that goes into deciding which business majors gets whatever $75k a year jobs, promotions or just really large accounts there are in a certain department, organization, industry or even backwoods redneck mid-sized midwestern city. That doesn't mean it's impossible to point of not being worth getting a $25,00 - $50,000 degree that you get 10-15 years to pay off.

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Just do Petroleum engineering, there isn't a specific program oriented to simulation, depends on the Uni, but you can mold your courses to sell yourself as a petroleum simulation enginner (companies look for experienced engineers so getting a job with this title will take time, no uni program will be able to title you as a Pet Sim Eng). At this point Oil companies struggle with finding experienced Petroleum engineers who can work well with Simulation programs, its quite recent that the curriculum in universities have included courses to cater to this need.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

One of my TA's in college was offered a similar amount after completing his masters in geophysics.

Of course, I have a buddy whose brother and brother-in-law are banking with their own heat treating company. No college but plenty of years spent off-shore and at chemical plants.

If you want to make money, you have to be business savvy.

16. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Degrees don't matter, knowing people does.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Plus hard work and being smart.

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Doesnt hurt. But take it from someone who graduated with a finance degree from a highly ranked school with multiple dean's list awards. I know quite a few people who graduated with degrees like history from crap school who make more than I do, just because their parents knew people. Sucks, but it's the truth. Hard work only gets you so far (at the beginning at least). Work hard every day for years and you'll eventually catch up to the 'lucky' others.

19. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Do what you like most.

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Agreed x1000000. I hate what I'm doing right now, and it makes every day suck. I picked my degree based on money. Wrong choice. Do what you like, even if it doesn't make you alot of money. You may make a fraction of what other friends make, but if you enjoy it, your life will be much more fulfilling.