1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 20 smartest athletes.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fallenphoenix, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Francis 4 ever

sounds like you tried to correct me and got proven the idiot.

way to back track.

2. foo82

foo82 Member

Yea, I didn't read the article. I saw 3 names and assumed it was all old people. Still doesn't change the fact that we are talking about Peyton Manning and the fact the SAT scores refer to him specifically.

3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

It also doesn't change the fact that you're not endearing yourself to anyone reading this thread. Lighten your tone a bit. Take a little walk down from Mount Pious. Don't be so quick to label an SAT score as "borderline r****ded." It's insulting.

There are a lot of smart, successful people in the Clutchfans community and most of them go out of their way to be civil and unpretentious when they post. You, however, are doing the opposite.

4. foo82

foo82 Member

Yea, I realize that. I've been doing that more lately probably due to stress. Anyways, I'll lighten up a bit.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

List is wrong, Vince Young is #1.

He set the record on the Wonderlic.

6. MD_in_Training

A Rhodes Scholarship isn't necessarily a test of pure intellect. It's quite obvious that Rolle got selected mostly based on the fact that he was an elite college football player. His 1300s SAT score and 3.75 in Exercise Science from Florida State isn't shabby, but far from eye-popping. In all likelihood, he's a pretty smart guy, but aside from his athletic achievements, there's nothing to suggest that he could have gotten the Rhodes Scholarship otherwise. And to say that he's the obvious #1 on this list is overall inaccurate.

7. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

A 1000 on SAT is no where near r****ded but clearly not impressive enough to label someone as being smart. Okafor should be on the list.

8. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

lol, at all the guys getting offended over their ****ty SAT scores... suckaaas

Yeah, getting above 1000 is the goal for what we considered idiots- people who didn't give a **** about school. Above 1200 was the goal for most average people who wanted to get into uconn or something.

1080 is not an impressive score at all, but for an athlete, maybe it is.

1480 bioootch!! :cool:

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Manning is 34 so that means he was right around the first big change to the SAT in the 90's when they made it easier. Still on a 1600 scale but scores went up 150-200 points or so after they changed things (I think they started allowing calculators and all that, too?).

So if he took the old old SAT, then 1000 is not great but it was respectable. If he took the new old SAT then 1000 is slightly tarnished.

Guys in their late 30's and 40's like Asumus have the "purest" SAT scores because that is when it was the hardest. Even then, though, standardized tests are crap for measuring intelligence.

10. RedArmy00

RedArmy00 Member

Can someone who is a theology major really be that smart?

11. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

Danny Granger should be on the list. The dude is a hardcore civil engineer.

12. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Adonal Foyle graduated Magna c*m Laude from Colgate. I know he's a bench warmer at this point, but that's impressive.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

dude retired and is a consultant now so not even a bench warmer anymore

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They changed it in 1995 adding about +100 or 200 to everyone - Manning was already in college at that point.

15. Steve_Francis_rules

He's smart enough not to pick a harder major that won't do him much good if he's going into professional sports anyway.

16. RedArmy00

RedArmy00 Member

fair enough.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

[rquoter]• Nerdiest thing about me: “I majored in accounting.” - Craig Counsell[/rquoter]

Its the coolest thing I've ever done. :eek:

18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I was thinking that was about right. I took it right before the change but just didn't know what year he went to college (and didn't want to look it up). So 1000 is double higher than most on here seem to realize. Again, still not stellar, but certainly respectable overall and solid for an athlete.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would think Jeremy Lin should be on that list now.

DD

20. devilsdandruff

he was offered to Harvard for basketball. not academically.