1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Conversation with Dr. Jack and Hubie

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Sep 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thx for posting this

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Did not watch. Video longer than 2 minutes. Can you summarize?

3. mazyar

mazyar Member

I like Hube Brown's idea of the no foul out rule.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

When JVG proposed the same thing, people called him crazy.

There must be something to it if he and Hubie Brown both think it would be a good idea.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

JVG is entertaining and I like his way of telling it like it is. But when it comes to opinions, he tends to go to extremes. Hubie is more level headed.

Anyway, I still think that getting rid of the foul out rule would make the game ugly. But I could be wrong. I guess part of me still believe that playing good defense without fouling is part of basketball skills and so you want to punish players who fouls a lot.

Perhaps a modified idea is better. How about give each player 2 fouls per quarter. When a player fouls the third time, it puts the team in penalty in that quarter as long as he is on the floor?

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

to be fair, iirc jvg wanted to just increase the number of fouls before fouling out and that was it. while i also think it sucks that basketball allows star players to be taken out of games because of judgment calls, i think there's no doubt that just increases the number of fouls committed.

hubie wanted it to be where you start getting a technical and the ball back if the guy is over the limit. i actually like that idea, although i think i would just give a tech and then the same 2 free throws like a normal foul, otherwise you wouldn't be penalizing the offending team enough and could actually penalize the other team in a late game situation where they have to take it out with 1 point but no time left instead of just getting 2 free throws. either way, technicals for players over the limit keeps you from having games changed too drastically by ref calls, but still causes a fairly big disadvantage for committing too many fouls.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

(Naismith jokes out of how old they are, come on now...but its and old guy making the joke so its acceptable)

Both Dr Jack and Hubie were incorrect in mentioning there was no 3 point shot in the moments they discussed (Bird moment and Hubie's favorite story)

I think the no foul-out rule will pick up steam as it goes. Players should only come out the game when the coaches take them out or when they get ejected for disorderly conduct. It might mean 13 man rosters cuz no foul-outs would keep players in the game for longer. The players on the court would just have to be more disciplined instead of worrying about coming out the game.

Or make it 10 fouls a game like summer league.