1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump makes an offer on Islamic center site

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by trueroxfan, Sep 10, 2010.

1. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

Since this is Clutchfans, let's just ask this question: what would Hakeem Olajuwon say?

2. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I don't think there has been a specific poll with them as the sample, but I think the New York poll speaks volumes on how the majority feel. The numbers were quite overwhelming.

With the polls showing how the majority feel, this topic now extends beyond the borders of Manhattanites. If this Mosque were to go through, it won't be those in that community that will have it the worst, it will be those areas where Muslims are in a minority where this backlash will be felt the most. We already saw that with the few incidents that have occurred in Mosques in the last few weeks.

5,6,7, doesn't matter what number you pick, its about limiting the damage this issue can cause. The magic number is one that appeases the majority. You are not the one who will feel the pain when this gets built, so its easy for you to say that repercussions are not an issue. Those people who have an issue with it and those Muslims who will become targets are the people who do have to be considered. Lets admit to reality, people have an issue with the religion of Islam.

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

no, not at all. i plan to travel and work on my arabic.

4. Major

Major Member

New York and 9/11 victims are not remotely the same group of people. But if proximity is what matters, Manhattanites are in favor of it, so why wouldn't we use them as the proper sample to represent 9/11 victims?

And you think moving the mosque will solve this? I think that's naive, at best. Those people don't hate because of the New York mosque. They hate because they are idiots. Appeasing them isn't going to stop that.

What number is that? The developers would need to know, in advance, to be able to find a suitable site. If you can't name the number, how can they build the mosque? People are hating on mosques in Tennessee. What makes you think that they will not hate a mosque 7 blocks away from GZ?

This is certainly all true. If Muslims decide they don't want the mosque, they will communicate that to the supporters of the project. But as of now, that's not where the opposition is coming from.

5. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

Honestly, if the center moves, I feel it will set a bad precedent. You shouldn't back down to irrational pressure. Standing up for your rights... I would say that is what America should strive to be about. What if leaders during the civil rights movement said 'we want equality, but some people might get hurt, and we don't want that on our conscience; so it's not worth it'.

6. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I think it was about 70% that were against the mosque, that is a very high number, I'm sure the 9/11 victims don't deviate greatly from this result. It would be very odd if it did. Regardless, as I said there are other issues to consider as well.

But giving people more reasons to join this group should not be promoted as well. You under estimate the risk of Islamaphobia spreading.

The Tennessee incident stemmed from the anger of the ground zero mosque, this violence did not exist before this mosque issue went mainstream. There was one Florida mosque attempted bombing but that had to do with Dan Fanelli stirring hate. I understand that Islamaphobia will be there regardless of this mosque being built. But again, why help spread this further. There is already a mosque within 5 blocks according to a poster here, therfore there should be no reason for anyone to care if it is built beyond this mark. This should appease the majority, that is the goal. Limiting the damage should now be the main objective.

7. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

It's really complicated when you look at it with this perspective, I think the bigger issue is what Muslims want, and IMO I don't think they want a bigger spotlight on them. I'm throwing in my own bias in this, don't know what the polls say.

8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/New-Yorkers-Oppose-Ground-Zero-Mosque-Poll-97602569.html

So, only 52% really against it in New York. However...

By your logic, isn't the opinion of Manhattan residents the most valued? Feel free to post another poll that breaks it down by borough.

And what do 9/11 victims and their families think?

http://blog.nj.com/njv_bob_braun/2010/08/mosque_near_world_trade_center.html

It's not nearly as black-and-white as you try to paint it.

#48 Depressio, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  9. meh

meh Contributing Member

If this is a "majority-rules vs. Bill of Rights" issue, then as Americans I really can't see why there is even a debate.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Do you feel the same way about the guy who wants to burn the Qurans?

11. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Thanks for looking that up. I guess I am really biased on this matter, I just feel like the fight to get this mosque built will create a bigger divide.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

do you equate building something with burning something?

13. joesr

joesr Member

Well maybe its just me but if I was a survivor or family/friend of someone killed, there is no f'ing way I would grateful. To make that kind of assessment is f'ing ridiculous.

14. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

You don't think the families of the victims would be grateful if the Islamic Center Council decided to move it further from the site?

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

These are two very similar issues. They both have the rights to do what they want to do and they are both being insensitive media whores. Both are going against what their religion teaches.

The difference is the extreme fringe of the Christian is very very very small and Christians by large will gladly stand up to speak out against them. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the Muslims. If it was a christian church going up in a very insensitive manner and a large group of people were against it, I would be against it going up also.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

clueless american sheeple wasting away time/effort arguing about 45 park place when they should be more concerned with 33 liberty street :rolleyes:

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. Steve_Francis_rules

The builders of the Islamic community center aren't being insensitive media whores. This was a total non-story until some conservative douche bags decided to make it one. The builders were happy putting up their cultural center without getting any attention from it.

The Qur'an burner wanted publicity from the beginning.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

building a mosque is against Islam?

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

most New Yorkers support the building of the mosque.