1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I am a Muslim! (Myfaithmyvoice.com) - Great PSA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dream34, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Right or wrong...my image of Islam draws a distinction between Islam being practiced here in the US and the anti-West rhetoric-filled methods they teach in Islam in places like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. If American Muslims used the same propaganda-based Islamic teachings here in the US, then you can be damn straight I would have a problem with it.

As it stands now, my only concerns with American Muslims is when they travel to places like Pakistan, get involved with anti-West Muslims, and come back a trained terrorist...like the guy buying up the beauty supplies and wanting to bomb subways in NY with backpacks. He wasn't radicalized until he went to Pakistan. Do I think we should be monitoring movements of American Muslims to countries like Pakistan? Yes, I do because it is very well possible they went back home to get radicalized or fell victim to extreme Islam while away.

I also do not think most of those same Muslims overseas really view American Muslims as practicing true Islam because, in many of their eyes, practicing true Islam in a Western nation is in itself incompatible. I do not believe they think that you can practice true Islam in our country while being subject to our daily culture. I think groups like Al Qaeda and the Taliban would have zero problems killing American Muslims as non-true or bastardized Muslims because they live with their enemy and ultimately make up the same people who vote for our government leaders. Obviously, Muslims died on 9/11 and Muslims die every day at the hands of the extremists while they can seemingly justify any of their actions as valid using Islam as the vehicle.

I will say if you think it is bad now...if you have an American Muslim go overseas, turn radical, and come back and pull of a bombing successfully, then what you are seeing now as far as anti behavior will look like a walk in the park because that is just pouring fuel on the fire for those making a fuss over the ground zero mosque.

I very well look at American Muslims as the conservative and moderate practicers of Islam....as much a victim of extremist Islam as any American. They are first in the firing line for some less educated Americans...because they are local targets. The fact that every time OBL or the Taliban or any one of those idiots releases videos or tapes...it doesn't bode well for anyone. It makes it look like these guys are in charge of Islam and they make every Muslim look bad in the process by calling out to Muslims to jihad and come to their training camps, i.e. guilt by association. It would probably do the world a lot better if those videos and statements were just ignored by all press...cause what have they really done for anyone other than inflame incitement on both sides?

#41 Surfguy, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

There are secret messages embedded in those videos.

3. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Insightful post Surfguy. Keep the dialogue flowing. ;)

It is hard talking about this subject as it usually leads to some heated debate. When you mentioned if someone goes oversees and comes back and pulls off a bomb and how things will get worse. Trust me I agree with you. I was born in Pakistan but have lived in the United States since I was two. I have no desire to go back since most of my immediate family has moved to the States. That's me. But, my parents and their generation like to go back on a regular basis to visit family and friends. So I am not sure how you would plan on tracking ones travels in a foreign country.

Everytime I see someone like the guy who tried to pull off the bombing in Time Square. It makes me cringe. These idiots/terrorists are "putting fuel on the fire" and making things worse for the rest of us (guilt by association). That is why I agree that moderate American muslims need to increase the levels of communication with members of other faiths to show that we live here in peace. What these terrorists are doing does not make up or reflect our character. We can only prove that by our daily interactions with our fellow non-muslim/muslim neighbors/counterparts.

Droxford,
    Great job with your proposed script!! I agree with those comments. In fact, many of the same thoughts were expressed in the PSA in which you nicely elaborated on some key points. Thanks for sharing.