1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I am a Muslim! (Myfaithmyvoice.com) - Great PSA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dream34, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

I have been a long time member of this great board. Again, the intent of my posting was not to ruffle feathers or to start any kind of political debate (although it is not easy when you say muslim or Islam in this current time). I simply intended to share the voices of many everyday americans who believe in a moderate view of our religion. I just wanted to point out that american muslims have just as much right to all this country has to offer as any other american citizen. We need to change the sterotypes that has plagued our religion by the many radicals/extremists.

I just think this PSA is a small step in the right direction. We need to see more of this and I hope that we will in the near future.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Personally, I care if you are Muslim about as much as I care if you are gay, which is not at all. It is your own personal choice.

I didn't know there was all this hatered untill the whole NY mosque thing occured.

3. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I'm in the same boat. I knew there were bigots and prejudices out there, but I really didn't know there was this much. They seem to come out of the woodwork when a noisy few begin their chirping; they gain confidence and begin chirping their hate/fear themselves. It's astonishing really, and very disappointing to see a country founded on freedom of speech and religion continue to struggle with tolerance.

Personally, I think people need to relax and realize that psychopaths and psychopaths and should not have an effect on how you feel about things.

4. droxford

droxford Member

...unless they're in office ;)

5. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

The thing is, it's not a legitimate reason for anti-Muslim sentiment. I don't see how one could argue with the clause of the HR bill anyhow if they are defenders of the constitution. It would be religious discrimination otherwise. Now there will be strict restrictions for said exemption.

And Americans like me see the hypocrisy of people wanting to balance the budget and then complaining that we aren't pissing away billions because we aren't using a more cost-efficient means for space travel.

Wait a second... They reach out to the Muslim world... but they are hurting their image? I must argue that this is not logical in any way, shape or form. It is not up to the government to improve/damage a religious group's image.

The Bush Admin was in the pockets of big oil (see photos of W and Saudi royalty), which is why they hammered in that we were not at war with Islam. Now, you have current GOP big shots saying that we are at war with Islam. This is what is hurting the image of Islam... not the Obama administration. This is why peaceful people need to make videos saying they aren't terrorists.

:)

6. ChievousFTFace

No, it is the same. Many Americans are ready to throw our LEGAL immigrants that are brown under the bus in the name of national security. I think the massive majority can agree that we need to curb illegal immigration.

It's the same ole nonsense of people, in rough times, blaming their personal problems on a group of people. Some people need to turn off the TV and focus on doing the best they can for their families.

7. Dream34

Living as a muslim in this country has become very difficult. This is coming from someone that is a muslim. The level of hatred is growing and it is escalating. It is hard to hear others say they could care less but unless you have walked in the shoes of a minority who has been disgraced and riddiculed due to their faith, sexual preferance, or color of their skin it is something that we need to stop. Our country does not stand for these kinds of disparaging values. We are better than that..

The following are just a few examples of the hate incidents that have taken place over the past week:

Feds Investigate Fire at Tennessee Mosque:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/29/feds-investigate-fire-at-site-of-future-tennessee-mosque/

Student Arraigned in Anti-Muslim Stabbing of Cabdriver:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/cabbie-attacked/

Church plans burn a Quran day:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/29/florida.burn.quran.day/index.html

8. droxford

droxford Member

I disagree. And it's easy to argue with that clause (or the whole bill) if one feels like the clause and/or the bill are unconstitutional. It absolutely reeks of religious discrimination.

Now, of course, there's a LOT of religious discrimination in our gov't in favor of Christianity. Again, my intent is not to get into this tangent. I'm just indicating that this recent issue goes against muslim image.

It's not simply that NASA's budget was cut - it's the combination of that with the president's directive ot NASA to reach out to muslims. This combination is damaging to the muslim image.

(ya see how I keep coming back to my point - I'm talking about the muslim image).

Why did the president specifically indicate that NASA should reach out to Muslims? Doesn't that specifically improve/damage a religious group's image?

Actually, they're both hurting the muslim image. The republicans are way over exaggerating muslims as villains and the democrats are doing too much to single muslims out for special attention. Both are damaging the muslim image.

9. ChievousFTFace

So true. The day 2 guys calling me a kike outside of a bar trying to pick a fight was the day I changed. You grow up the second you see the hate in people's eyes and you pity that hate. If the same thing happened to me today... I'd probably just laugh at them. But until you see the hate in people's eyes, you don't truly understand bigotry and ignorance.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Dude, you're taking a conciliatory thread, with a positive intent at understanding other American citizens more deeply, and pooping on it.

I know you intend no harm, but your reaction validates the very reason there is concern for their safety.

Have you even clicked the link in the OP, yet?

11. ChievousFTFace

i guess both parties are doing a good job at pleasing their constituents... and I'll leave it at that ;)

12. droxford

droxford Member

I'm not trying to derail it - in fact, every statement I make is trying to bring it back to its original topic about the muslim image.

Yeah, I saw the PSA and I honestly wasn't impressed by it. I feel like it starts off with arrogance:

Nobody has told me how to feel about muslims. Nobody has told me to fear them, suspect them, or hate them (and I do none of those). I have never felt like muslims are trying to force their religion on me (I think this happens a LOT more with Christianity). I don't feel like muslims want to take over the country, and I believe that almost the entirety of American muslims do not support terrorism.

But I can understand and respect what the intent of the PSA is - they're trying to break down stereotypes, and I think that's a good thing.

13. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Stop being obtuse. He's saying that including Muslim countries in international space exploration by adding their best scientists can serve as a way to reach out to the Muslim world. If you would read more often, you would know that there was a scientific golden age during Islam's spread in the middle east where significant contributions were made to mathematics, medicine, and astronomy. Don't you think it's a good idea to focus on the similarities instead of blowing each other up due to differences? Wouldn't you rather see some of these "questionable" countries put much needed money into space exploration instead of supposedly training suicide bombers?

No no, that would make too much sense. It's definitely because Obama is secretly a Muslim. Ya, that's what it is. ;)

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Muslims should lose the beards. I don't feel comfortable with beards. I doubt we will ever have another bearded president.

15. Steve_Francis_rules

Health care has absolutely nothing to do with the anti-Muslim sentiment, IMO. I consider myself to be somewhat informed about the issue (although I'm certainly no expert) and this is the first indication I've heard that Muslims could be exempt. I doubt it's that widely known.

16. droxford

droxford Member

You're missing my point. I'm talking about the muslim image.

It would have been much better to have had Bolden NOT single out muslims. Regardless of what was meant - what was SAID was damaging to the muslim image.

17. Dream34

One of the biggest criticisms I have heard about muslims in general is that we have "not spoken out" against the various "insert terrorist act". That is why I felt this PSA did an EXCELLENT job of allowing invdividuals to share their messages. They are putting those fears that many non-muslim americans fear about us on the table. I was listening to one of the messages that a girl uploaded. It showed how she loved rap music and how she loves being an american and loves being a muslim. Things normal people can relate to. That is exactly the point of this website. Share the message and show how muslims living in this country are a part of its fabric just like everyother citizen.

We do not believe in terrorist acts, or forcing our views, and we are not this radical group of people that believe in terrorism. I understand there are radical/extreme muslim groups out there. They have hijacked our religion for their own extreme views. However, that is not what the majority of muslims believe. We believe in serving and bettering man kind and our community. So it is fair to criticize as that is everyone's right. I just think the message is pure and one that needs to be heard in this time of Islamaphobia.

Through communication, education, and tolerance we can break down the ignorance and fear that is being spread. We also have to have a mutal respect for each others differing views.

1 person likes this.
  18. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

You're missing my point also. Only reason it looks bad for Muslim image is if you take NASA admin's statement as a "ZOMG Muslims are taking over". It's damaging to the Muslim image if you let it happen. You're taking the Bolden's comment as a negative thing. That's the real issue here.

19. droxford

droxford Member

They ARE negative, and would be just as negative if he'd have singled out Catholics, Buddhists, or any other religion. I don't have to feel like "ZOMG Muslims are taking over" in order to feel like a specific religious group is explicitly being singled out by our government.

20. droxford

droxford Member

Here - as a non-muslim, I wrote a better script for a PSA. I think this would do a better job at combating the negative image:

I am Muslim.
    I am American.
    I am disgusted by acts of extreme terrorism that are done in the name of my religion.
    Those who commit such terrible crimes against humanity should be punished.
    And they should be ashamed to call themselves Muslim.
    I feel that way.
    (huge crowd of muslims) We feel that way.
    I want you to know that I do not support them.
    No one in our community supports them.
    Like so many others, I simply enjoy the gift of American liberty peacefully.
    Happily.
    I am Muslim.
    I am American.