1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Name the player who got you hooked on basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ParaSolid, Aug 29, 2010.

1. sw847

sw847 Member

I would have to say Kevin Johnson.

I loved small players just cause it is that much harder for them to excel.

Then I really became a rockets fan cause of Francis. Loved his fearlessness on the court.

1 person likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you realize Jordan was 40 years old right?

there's no way in god's green earth McGrady would even dream of being a player in the nba at age 35.

the family watching Jordan was watching legend. you were just watching a player who was taking advantage of his youth. I hope you have the brains to realize that a young Michael Jordan would just destroy McGrady like Godzilla did Tokyo.

sometimes when i read this like this, i think i'm charleston heston at the end of planet of the apes.

3. SunsRocketsfan

KJ/?? but he posterized the dream! haha that was one sick dunk and i love KJ too..

as for francis that fearlessness was actually his stupidity.. what a let down SF was

4. SunsRocketsfan

blasphemy.. banned for life

5. SunsRocketsfan

wow.. your story sounds like mine .. :)
    I cried when Elie hit the 3 also. and i became a Rocket's fan when he came over..

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I have to say that I'm surprised that that's all you took from my original post, but in all honestly, it isn't unexpected.

As for Jordan in all probability destroying McGrady, no **** sherlock. Are you telling me that good players can't play well against each other? That a lesser player can, on some occasions, light up a far superior player? Didn't Kelvin Cato school Duncan during the summer league? Vernon Maxwell against Jordan in a meaningless regular season game? Think about that for awhile and let it sink in.

Is it impossible for you to read anything without assuming that us youngsters are conspiring to tear down the roots of the game with our ignorance? Is that all you think about? The point of the thread was to prompt the members of Clutchfans to share with each other the player who got them into the game. For me, it was McGrady. He had game and he was smooth. He did destroy Jordan in that game. I never said he was better.

Is that a little clearer now? Should I have put a little disclaimer noting that I wasn't disrespecting Jordan? Get the dust out of your ancient 99'er vagina and move on, please.

7. verse

verse Contributing Member

Without reading the thread let me say now, unequivocally, Calvin Murphy. I was a lil dude too, til my sophomore summer in high school when I shot up to 6'4". I idealized his midrange game and fearlessness.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

nick van exel. dude was gangsta wit it.

9. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

tinman uses the 99'er way too much in his posts. maybe it's a declaimer for his senility, so we can overlook his silly posts.

10. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

I was born in 1990, so I didn't start watching NBA till I was 8, but I instantly got hooked when I watched his game with my dad.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SI-AZQcZ0dc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SI-AZQcZ0dc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. amaru

amaru Member

McGrady........don't kill me for talkin about your boy Tinman!!! :eek:

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

For me it wasn't one player. I'm originally from Indiana, and for those of you that don't know, basketball is God in Indiana. My earliest memories of basketball are watching the Hoosiers lead by Bobby Knight. Like Knight or not, Indiana was the epitome of team basketball. That has been with me ever since, always will.

13. CHayesIsMyHero

haha yeahh i remember going to my pitching machine little league baseball game afterwards and i didnt even want to play... i was so pissed. i loved that suns team. i used to have this little phoenix suns stuffed basketball toy thing that i would throw off the wall from the recliner and catch it repeatedly while watching the suns when they were on national tv.

every time majerle would hit a 3 i would run to my parents bedroom and tell my dad about it haha. oh man...memories...

i tried to tape all the games that were on tv. i found a some of em a couple weeks back when i was going through my closet at my parents house. there is no telling how many of em are laying around somewhere... or how many of em got taped over by my sister.

anyways... but the only reason i liked the suns was because of barkley and i dont even remember why i started to like him? i think i cried when he got hurt with the rockets... no tellin... alright ill stop this weird story of my weird memory haha.

GO ROCKETS!

oh yeah btw if anyone is wondering who my favorite player is now.. its a tie between chucky hayes and kyle lowry

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Oh my bad, I forgot that Kobe Bryant was smoother and better and more clutch. you don't have to be 99er to know that. that's just like a basketball fact since the beginning, like a basketball being round.

And Iverson played with more heart and was a better leader.

And as far as smooth, I thought Ray Allen was much smoother, silky jumper.

but great, that's the player that inspired you most to play hoops, that's fantastic. i guess who wins or loses a game is meaningless, it's all about the smoothness of playing offense.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Iverson was great, he won the mvp and he was played with heart actually leading a team to the nba finals while not as gifted physically as other taller scorers.

16. VBG

VBG Member

What the **** is wrong with you? Did T-Mac rob you or bang your mother or something? This hate is bad for you. It's ridiculous.

Iverson a better leader? Seriously? One who goes to no practices right?

T-Mac was smoother than Kobe back then. And arguably better. And as clutch.

T-Mac had an amazing overall game. Durant loves T-Mac's game, Wade loves T-Mac's game. Why do you have to hit on him so much?

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Iverson led the Sixers to the Finals when T-mac was in the same conference as him. He won the freaking MVP. that requires more than just scoring the most points.

When did T-mac accomplish anything like this?

T-mac was NEVER better than Kobe. F A C T.

Well Durant doesn't love T-mac desire to switch teams so far

18. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Iverson played so well that he didn't have to practice. Kobe was so good that Shaq had to leave town and Phil Jackson had to go on hiatus. Ray Allen was so smooth that his name smoothly slipped people's minds when they argued who the best player in the game.

Point isn't whether he won or not. Point is he had an appealing game and he inspired a lot of people to play and watch ball. Hence the sneaker deals. Hence the commercials. Hence the all-star nods. He was a fan favorite, and I was a fan. So what? What are you even arguing? Should I have consulted you before liking McGrady's game?

Durant must be a loser for modeling his game after McGrady's. Derrick Rose must be a nobody for being a fan. Man, where was tinman to save these guys? You should have chosen "scarecrow" instead of tinman as your moniker since it seems that you lack a brain.

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Back in the 50's I didn't know what basketball was until, on a rainy Sunday afternoon with nothing else to do, I saw Bob Cousy guide his Celtics in a come from behind win. Soon John "Hondo" Havlicek became my favorite even over Cousy, and basketball in my life was born.

Moses Malone and Calvin Murphy were my favorite Rockets in the team's early years in Houston. Good memories.

20. OvenproofBadger

Tracy Mcgrady
    Smoothest player i have witnessed in my life. I started trying to ball like him when i played, obviously i cudnt...
    But he just had everything, joy to watch.
    Love watching him rise up for jumpers, so smooth...