1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carmelo Anthony is not an elite player

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Aug 29, 2010.

1. blunto

blunto Member

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

So why is he a maximum player? Nobody can give any concrete arguments why Melo is a max player, most of the reasons they give can't be quantified i.e. "He's too smooth", "He's a great scorer".

His flaws though can be quantified:
    *Lacks D
    *mediocre 3 pt shot
    *low character
    *trigger happy
    *only average efficiency
    *Drama queen

Any statistical analysis beyond PPG will point out that Melo is all hype.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

So? Just because JJ got the max doesn't mean we should get another overrated max player. Scola's better than Rashard Lewis who got the max. Should we have signed Scola to a max contract then?

4. mFt82

mFt82 Member

It's settled then. Melo's a punk who doesn't deserve to be a part of the Rockets organization.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

LOL - hardly settled, but that is my view.

;)

DD

6. blunto

blunto Member

I agree with you on that.

Issue to me is how to properly "value" a player. Different teams use different methods. I've heard Morey suggest that there are a handful of elite players that are, according to his valuation methods, worth a lot more than the max. For a hypothetical example:

[​IMG]

I guess some people are arguing that, even though Carmelo isn't the best player in the league, he still may be worth max salary. It's not like the best player sets the salary curve each year. I personally won't go so far as agreeing with that, cause who the hell am I when it comes to valuing a player? However, I can understand how it may be possible.

7. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

Lol mediocre 3 pt shooter? Melo averaged 31% from 3pts last year and Kobe 32%. I bet Kobe is a mediocre 3pts shooter too. He is not drama queen I don't where you got that from? He wants to be trades yes but it happens often in the NBA.

Melo is a elite scorer, who has an amazing post game and rebonding pretty well for a Small Forward. Say what you want but the guy is as good as Wade to me it's just that Wade gets more love for being the clean-cut/no tattoo African-American.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Bosh makes the same money as Lebron and Wade. Pau made max money both in Memphis and in LA. By some people's logic in this thread, this means LA and Miami are stupid for paying these two guys that much, or that Bosh and Gasol are both elite players.

People who want the Rockets to pay the max only to elite need to realize this happens only if we actually draft the guy. Yes, if we draft the next Lebron or Duncan, we can truly offer our max to someone worth more than the max. But until we start tanking our seasons or NY go into oblivion, that's not going to happen. So you take what you can get.

9. CHayesIsMyHero

About a week ago, I made a thread talking about how I wasn't a fan of Carmelo's game and how I didn't really want him on the rockets. I think he is overrated and I got torched on here for it.

Looks like I am not the only one who thinks that. Some people need to look away from the points per game stats and actually watch a game or two. Watch the players and the decisions they make.

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Okay, I usually don't say anything about bad threads, but this is like the 30th Carmelo thread! Give it a rest!!

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

12. blunto

blunto Member

Yeah, you're right.

Here's the same playoff data from ages 22-25.

[​IMG]

Min GP = 31, how convenient. I almost included T-Mac's stats in there also, but even through four seasons he didn't play enough in the playoffs to give significant data. ;)

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I didn't realize Carmelo was that good in the playoffs. Impressive. Look at his rebounding and TS%! Very nice.

Also, LeBron is head and shoulders above the rest. Miami will indeed be scary.

14. teknokid

teknokid Member

Most of your critical factors can't be quantified.
    *Lacks D - please provide with stats
    *Low character -?
    *Trigger Happy-?
    *drama queen-?

15. delishman

delishman Member

I think Morey would argue that true studs are worth far more than the max. Of course many who get it don't deserve it. I think Melo's will undoubetdly get a max contract and I believe he deserves it. Not any more theoretical dollars but the guy is a max player.

16. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

The nuggets were a lottery team before Carmelo..

1 person likes this.
  17. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Jordan/Kobe/

Lebron isnt anywhere near that level after last season :(

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Like Miami, I think you sort of under estimate the willingness of the elite players to allow team mates to produce plays, typically it takes said player to have enough confidence in the ability of others, a perfect example being Kobe having the confidence in Pau that he didn't really exhibit for any laker post shaq.

19. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Cant you say the same thing for King James?

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

During the season, niggling injuries can be rested, minutes can be reduced, breaks can be taken, games can be won on bad days, it allows players to prolong careers, be fresh and gear their prep for the playoffs.