1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[But the game is on] Rockets should go after Iguodala

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Aug 26, 2010.

1. chief

chief Member

i keep seeing this over and over--and the answer is the same--do not give up CBUD--

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Why not? Do you really see Budinger becoming a better overall player, especially in the 2-3 year window Yao might have to lead this team to a Championship?

You wouldn't trade CBud for a young player who is top 5 defender at his position who can also give you 5-6 assists and 16+ point every night?

I'd do a deal for Hill+Budinger+Jeffries' expiring deal in exchange for Iggy every single day of the week and twice on Sunday.

3. mi0304

mi0304 Member

BTW, is he really on the trading block?
    I've thought sixers are going to keep him and dalembert both. Or we should take elton brand salary to get him.

4. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Yao'll have a huge pay cut on his next contract, probably $10mil./yr. range. that'd cancel out Brooks' raise, so don't worry about that.

no GM on their right mind would take on Brand's contract, but Nocioni's might be a compromise for both team. with Collins a fan of Battier, it's hard for Philly to turn down a C-Bud, Hill, Battier, Jefferies for Iggy+Nocioni deal.

Yao, Miller
    Scola, Patterson, Hayes
    Igudala, Nocioni
    Martin, Lee, Taylor
    Brooks, Lowry, Smith

we'd be instant contender this year and still got to keep all our picks to work if another super star becomes available. for example, come trade deadline if the Hornets can't work out w/ CP3, we could still manage a package of Brooks + Martin + NY's picks for CP3 + Thornton; or if Paul George is real deal Indy might trade Granger for Martin + a pick? we just need to get some stars soon w/ our surplus trade assets.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

No. Iggy's not on the trade block right now. There was a thread earlier about a sixer insider who said there were discussions between the Rockets and the sixers. But those talks stopped as the Sixers decided to wait and see first.

There's little reason for them to trade Iggy in the offseason. Even if they do decide to move him because he can't coexist with Turner, it's not like his value will drop. And keeping him may make them a playoff team.

6. Raven

Raven Member

In Morey I trust.

7. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Iggy isn't untouchable either. it all depends on what kind of deal offered and if it saves Philly big $$$ plus enough talent it's possible to happen anytime. with that being said... I don't see Morey is the guy to over giving in a deal.

8. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Lets wait and see what's gonna happen with the Melo situation.

If we don't get him, Iguodala would be a solid plan B.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doug Collins love Battier...

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Denver would also receive Philly's 1st round draft pick in 2011 and Houston's own 1st round draft pick in 2012.

11. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

These trade proposals are nice and everything, but they dont make me wanna break out the rape kit and figure out how the hell DM pulled it off. No rape kit needed here, not a DM type trade, sorry.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Iggy is a great player. But he's not in Melo's class. I'm not saying I want Melo on this team. I don't know. Melo reminds me a lot of McGrady, capable of lighting it up like only 2 or 3 can in this league but questionable character when you get in the trenches. Can't say I don't want him. Can't say I do want him. Don't know the price. But Melo is a notch above Iggy. Sure, Iggy is a great defender. Sure, Iggy will ram the ball right down your throat. Sure, Iggy passes and is a great teammate. But he is still a step below Melo.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I agree with all of this, but then there is also fit. There are only so many shots a game, and with Iggy, our current no. 1 and 2 options Yao and Martin would not have to sacrifice any shots, and really nobody else would have to either. With Melo, inevitably, other players would have to sacrifice shots, and then we are at the mercy of how efficient Melo shoots.

Like you, I am torn on this.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

And I agree with this also. That's why I don't know if I want him. However, his efficiency has always been better than McGrady's. Really, the whole key would be would Carmelo meld himself into Adelman's offense and make the correct basketball play? Obviously, with Yao/Martin or Brooks/Scola (I am making the assumption that one of Martin/Brooks is traded out), there is plenty of offensive weapons. Rick's offense is about getting the highest efficiency offense out of the team. It's not about funneling to one guy. It's about making the best most highly productive basketball play. If that is Lowry driving to the rim and creating fouls, then Lowry rams it down their throat. If it is Martin getting off the jumper and drawing the foul, then so be it. But it's a game by game thing. Adelman goes into a game, feels out the opponent's D (and also feels out the officiating), looks at his team and sees who is hot, then he starts managing the game towards high probability success for that particular game. What that means is some nights Martin is going to get 40, some nights Yao is going to get 40, some nights the defense is going to keep adjusting and maybe 3 guys get 20 and 3 or 4 more guys get in double digits. Could Melo accept that arrangement where some nights he may only get off 10 shots because Yao or Martin or Scola is so wide open and is just chewing up the defense (Scola vs. the Nets)? That is the unanswered question. If we knew that Melo could accept Adelman's basketball style, and Melo would buy in to the team game, then I think he would be killer. However, if he doesn't, then he could wind up looking like the last 2 years of McGrady, where every time McGrady is on the court the ball stops with him and he winds down the shot clock either trying to create the assist or get his own shot. (By the way, this is the biggest reason why McGrady's game lacks efficiency is because he handles way too long and is always trying to get either the assist or the shot, which leads to hurried lower percentage shots at the end of the shot clock.)

I am pretty sure Melo is a high iq baller. I am not sure he is willing to play a true team game.

15. trainwreck

trainwreck Member

I prefer Iggy over Melo!!

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

D
    I
    T
    T
    O

DD

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why is Iggy a step below Melo? Iggy's a better defender than Melo, and judging by their efficiency Melo is only slightly better, TS% of Iggy is 0.535, TS% of Melo is 0.548.

IMHO they're practically equal, except that Iggy isn't a drama queen/thug and he's making less per year.

18. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Iggy is exactly what the Rockets need. In a trade with Philly we would avoid losing Brooks and Martin, and acquire an allstar caliber player that fits the system. Also, we can get away from taking on other players from Denver that aren't needed on the Rockets.

Iggy is clearly just as explosive as Ariza was and shoots at a better percentage. Mixed in with Brooks, Martin, Scola and Yao... Miami doesn't really compare plus we'd probably only have to give up one of CBud and Hill, preferably Hill since we're stacked at the 4.

What are the odds the rockets could actually make this happen... I think giving up all our assets for Melo is getting a bit crazy. I saw an article today that had either brooks and/or martin in every option. That'll be a sad day in Houston to see them go if it comes down to it.

Make it happen DM.

19. parmesh

parmesh Member

If we can get Melo for a reasonable price (and it SHOULD be very reasonable, because Melo and the GM of whatever destination he chooses have all of the power) I say go for it. At the same time, we should explore Iggy and Granger if they are on the block, although I feel like Danny isn't and Igoudala would come with a good price tag because there's not too much leverage really for him or the Rockets. I'd prefer Iggy because I feel like he's a Morey type player and would be one of the only players I'd be comfortable giving Battier [ :-( ] away for.

20. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Iguodala should be plan A, not plan B. Unfortunately, it sounds like Philly is committed to keeping him, and his stock is pretty high with his team USA effort. Bummer.