1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

sittin on our...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leehoang, Sep 10, 2002.

1. leehoang

leehoang Member

how come it seems like every team in the league is doing

something. and we're not.

i mean sac town has signed keon, resigned mike, and now got

rid of mateen for a jumaine jones.

who i think is some what a spark of the bench and also

has playoff experience. and it seems now they have the talent

to finally beat the lakers.

and we're looking for ways to go to the playoffs.

also, look at the clippers. they look like a lock for the playoffs

this year. after all the moves they made.

well, i was just bored. what do yah think?

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

What...drafting Ming, Nachar, and signing Steve to an extension wasn't good enough? There's not much we can do, given our limited cap space...

Who do you propose we trade that hasn't already been rehashed 100 times on the board?

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

We have added two major pieces to our team with Nachbar and Yao so what else could you want?

Our starters at some point will be:
    Yao
    Griffin
    Boki
    Cat
    Wink

Our bench at some point:
    MoT
    Rice
    Moochie
    Cato
    KT
    TMo

Most of us believe that our future starting line up is going to be unstoppable and it looks like we have a good bench as well. So what changes do you want that you think can help our team? It sounds like you want to make changes just for the sake of making changes to me. If you have a good idea then lets talk but if I am Rudy and CD I am eager to see this group of player spend a season together and grow into a team. It looks to me like all of the pieces are in place.

4. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

You think the addition of Keon ( who weights as much as Shaq's big toe) is going to make the difference? :confused:

We add a future cornerstone last year ( EG ), add one this year ( Ming ) , deepen the bench ( Nachbar), Sign our franchise player ( Francis) to an extension, and get 2 possible starters ( MoT & Rice) back from season long injuries.

Seems to me that the Rockets have been busy but CERTAIN people have not been paying attention. ;)

5. xlr817

xlr817 Member

DA ROXS will b fine...I really don't see any other free agents out there that will make an immediate impact that the Roxs can sign>:cool: I like R. Lewis but he's not worth all da headaches ( oops....no pun intended on Stevie F. ;) )! They do need 2 re-sign OT & TB 2 strenghten their depth!!:cool: :) I would also like 2 take a look at tito M. cuz I haven't seen him play yet. Anywayz, GO ROXS!:cool:

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sac has/had cap space? But -- we 'added' healthy Stevie, Mo, Rice. We added Yao and Boki.

And at least haven't done anything dumb.

PS Has training camp started? Ooops, betcha someone like MMiller or Naillon or someone else (Euro/SAm?) gets added...

7. Stevie Francis

What! they got jumaine jones? That will make them a lot better. When did they get him anyway?

8. aznlincolnpark

the kings really want to beat the lakers badly.....Rox will make to the playoff... will they release all their free agent on Rox???

9. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Because, we did all our work early!!!!

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

What do you want? The Rockets draft a 7-5 center with unbelievable skills, a 6-10 SF who is also very talented and could contribute immediately. They lock up Francis, Griffin is more mature, and most importantly the team is HEALTHY! We get our starting PF Mo Taylor back, with get our starting SF and major scoring threat Glen Rice back. We get a quality back-up 2-guard/PG Tito Maddox, and get a chance to get healthy and improve chemistry. How did the Rockets NOT get better!? All the Clippers did was trade away their best one-on-one defender and one of their best slashers for a star PG. Look at the Clippers, I'd say the Rockets are just as talented, if not moreso. Besides, who cares about Sacramento that's not who we're battling for the final playoff spots, Utah, Minnesota and Seattle are the teams we're battling. Tell me how are they improved?

11. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

Hhmm why dont we trade Yao and Eddie to lets say LA for Horry

Then we can trade Steve and Cat to Utah for Malone...would that make you happy for something to do and not sit still...

WE havent done things cause we got the team of the future right now

all we need is time and experance....:cool:

12. okuseinde

okuseinde Member

RocksMill is right. We actually should be comparing ourselves to the lower echeleon of playoffs-rated teams. When I compare us to the "lesser four" (Seattle, Utah, Minnesota, Portland) and the Clippers, I think we are doing pretty well so far.

13. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Not only have we added the players mentioned, but we subtracted players that we had to count on last season like Walt (and his salary).

Don't forget we have Oscar too, who knows how much he has developed. I can see him playing a "Mario" role on this team down the road.

There is going to be tremendous competition at backup point guard and backup 2 guard which can only help.

Small forward is likely to include KT so the position is covered by three different style players - Rice, Nachbar, and KT. Ditto for power forward - MT, Griffin and KT - all with unique capabilities.

Center looks covered as well, Ming to start and grow, Cato as a solid backup, and Collier will be healthy to start the season.

Starting guards. Enough said.

I think we are fine the way we are...

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Where is mateen heading? .... hmm I think I might like him instead of tito or tierre on our bench

15. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

1) Change for change's sake almost never works.

2) Keeping up with the Jones assumes that the Jones are right.

3) The Rockets are, if anything, looking for a little stability after a few years of significant personel turnover.

4) The additions of Ming and Nachbar will already have significant impact.

5) The Rockets are not really in the One-Player-Away from winning it all this year phase, but more in the putting the pieces together and letting them gel phase.

6) According to your criteria, resigning Mike could easily be equated with the Francis extension.

16. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

I think that we have made major improvments this season. All we need now is to keep everyone healthy, and some time to gel.

17. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

If there are any moves or acquisitions to be done, then it would be to find a backup SG. That I feel that is the only whole we have with the current roster. But then again, maybe the Rockets are not in any rush to acquire anyone since the free agent market is rather thin right now. Maybe they'll make their move by the midseason trade deadline. Give them a chance to look around some more and assess there position with current players.

18. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

so this's a DUMB thread after all

19. johnacon

johnacon New Member

i think that the rockets really need a starting wing player. Not that the Cat isn't really good, but I can't think of a lot of teams that have had a lot of success with two small backcourt players. The Cat would be a great player off the bench in sort of a pg/wing combo role. Sort of like what Antonio Daniels was for the spurs, only a lot better.

20. The Fever

The Fever Member

If the Rox add too many free agents, it would destroy team chemistry. Look at Portland a couple of years ago. Tons of talent, but a bad team nonetheless.

Adding rookies helps the team because Rudy and CD can groom them into the player that best suits the team. If they add a bunch of free agents or make trades for guys already in the league, then Rudy has the egos of those players to deal with.

The Rox aren't sitting on their.....so to speak. If they were, then we would have drafted Jay Williams instead of Yao, drafted some shmuck at 15, and we wouldn't have Stevie wrapped up for the next 6 years. Sometimes its better to take care of what you have rather than trying to revamp the team. Just look at Phoenix, Portland, etc. etc. etc.