1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taliban hints at attacking aid

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by showtang043, Aug 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I used to have this idealistic view. I still believe that people are born the same. But obviously your upbringing and the education (or indoctrination) you received make a difference. If you grow up and are being taught to hate, you are going to be different from someone who gets a proper education and is taught values. Unfortunately, statistically, in certain areas of the world, the likelihood is higher that you will not receive a proper education, but will instead be brought up in a certain way with certain values that would be considered unacceptable in most western countries (e.g. treatment of women, etc.).

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

There is teasing and there is trying to be funny, but really being a dumb prick who is needy for attention. In your case, it is not teasing.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I do not think that Islam is more susceptible for abuse than other religions, I believe it has more to do with The living standards in those countries, and the Influence of other powerful country in their region is more important. I think that is the main difference between us.

Are there crazy people among the Muslims. Yes without a doubt. But that is with every religion (Abortion clinics being attacked). Not to nitpick, the Dutch politician (Fortuyn) was killed by an environmentalist, not a Muslim. The movie maker and country Idiot Van Gogh was killed by a Muslim. I have posted about these two murders often. The murder of Van gogh was terrible, and the person who did that was an complete idiot (just like the killer of George Tiller was an idiot), in my mind they are not related to the Attack on 9-11 which was about world power IMHO

If you believe what you post, what is in your opinion the solution? If the problem is the education (and living standards etc), how do we try to help these people, who as you stated would turn out differently if they were brought up in a other situation?

I believe that in that area there is much poverty, but also very rich people who can support Terrorist groups. the living standard is not high, It is logical that people are not happy with that (again that is not an excuse to kill someone), so they try to change it.

Look at all the other continents, the only countries were there is little violence are in general Rich countries. There are many terrorist groups in South America and Africa (Christian) only these people fight among each other and against their government. The USA and Europe do not get involved. They did in he middle east, so that is the main reason why there have been attacks on western countries.

4. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I'm not really interested in engaging in a long-winded debate, but will merely state that once again, its the simplistic nature of your argument construction that realy makes this discourse a difficult one. Continually looking at situations without context doesnt do any good, and having read the numerous refutations from posters like Mathloom, Sweet Lou, and others, its beyond me why we continue going in circles.

Nonetheless, I'll post a link to an article that you might find insightful. It's an article written in November of last year by Stephen Walt, professor of international affairs at Harvard University's Kennedy School of Government (was academic dean from '02-'06), on how foreign policy has played a role in engendering anti-Americanism in majority-Muslim countries:
    http://walt.foreignpolicy.com/posts...uslims_has_the_us_killed_in_the_past_30_years

5. Steve_Francis_rules

It's not really a big difference. I think arno_ed was right in the post you were responding to. These people are just crazy and a pathetic excuse for human beings. All those other examples should just show you that if they didn't have their religion to use as an excuse, they'd easily come up with a different one (tribe, nationality, greed, etc.).

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am not disagreeing that greed and power hunger have to do with a lot of these issues. But there are issues specific to islam which bother me and which have nothing to do with power hunger (oppression of women and gays, etc. - actually, in a way, they have to do with power hunger...e.g. power over women).

7. insane man

insane man Member

assuming arguendo that oppression of women and gays is something that is relevant to this discussion, clearly you can't say that those two things are unique to muslim societies. after all, america is the biggest example of treating women and gays like crap relative to any other western nation.

for god sakes, pretty much every third world (including pakistan, afghanistan and iraq) have government required paid maternity leaves. we don't. and a gay republican is a news story.

how many third world countries can you name that have equality for women? hell how many non-scandanavian countries can you name that have closed the pay gap, or have an equal number of women in their parliaments or on boards of directors? or anything nearing equality?

not to say muslim countries don't have a troubling track record regarding women, or gays, but again what's unique about this?

1 person likes this.
  8. showtang043

showtang043 Member

That they all want political power, in that, more people would be inclined to listen and follow if they use it as god's message or word rather than their own agenda...Everyone one of their actions are unIslamic according to the Quran, does that not tell you that it isn't about Islam,but something else?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/08/13/liepert.imams.declaration/index.html?iref=obinsite

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Is there any other religion that forces its women (at least in many of the majority muslim countries) to wrap themselves into mobile jails?

No it does not. The question then becomes why it is possible that these freaks can continue to claim that their actions are based on Islam, and why so many different freaks base their actions on Islam (even if a reasonable Muslim would say that their actions are completely unislamic).

10. insane man

insane man Member

majority of muslim countries force 'mobile jails'? proof?

11. showtang043

showtang043 Member

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

looks like i pricked a nerve. and i'm not even muslim!

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...19501/Israeli-rabbis-clamp-down-on-burka.html

So, these Rabbis are forcing the Jewish women to strip naked?

I love how you can so easily sensationalize any subject by putting a few key "fear" words... Fox news has taught you well.

This post is in the name of AroundTheWorld

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

this is a very bigoted statement

an enveloping outer garment worn by women in some Islamic traditions and, since 2007, by a few hundred ultra-orthodox Jewish women for the purpose of hiding a woman's body when in public

<> mobile jail

15. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The United States is terrorizing gays and opressing homosexuals across the majority of Midwestern states.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Are you and BEAT LA related?

17. insane man

insane man Member

can you please name me the list of countries which require mobile jails.

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Please dont link me to random individuals.

Are you and
    [​IMG]

related?

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan when run by the Taliban come to mind. To a lesser degree some other Islamic countries.

20. insane man

insane man Member

so there's one regime currently that requires 'mobile jails'. yet this constitutes many in your dictionary?

look dude, if you want to be taken seriously, then criticize muslim majority (or others for that matter) countries when they deserve it. there aren't too many on this board in love with the gulf arab nations. i mean for the most part, they have disgusting human rights records on all accounts. whether its treating migrant workers like slaves or women like crap. yet when those examples are being projected to paint the entire group, which happens to be fairly heterogeneous bunch of a billion strong, with the same brush, any substance which your original argument could have had is completely overtaken by the absurdity of your hyperbole.