1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo!] Carmelo privately expressing more enthusiasm to join Rockets than Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ebu, Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Why won't they want Brooks? He's cheap, he's young, and we all know the guy can score. He's not going to supplant Billups as the Nuggets starting point guard, but if Melo gets traded, there's no point for Denver to keep Billups when they can trade him for future assets. If/when that happens, it'll be Brooks and Ty Lawson at the point guard position...which is almost the same situation we have right now.

I just think that if they trade Martin for Melo, we wouldn't be moving THAT far ahead. Martin's ability to get to the FT will be an invaluable asset for the Rockets next season because it'll slow games down and that will definitely help Yao get some rest and back to playing shape.

2. Bids9

Bids9 Member

Courtney Lee playing D-League then???

3. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I just don't know who's going to be playing perimeter defense with Martin and Melo. IF we play the HEAT, who's going to guard those 2 superstars?? They're going to allow penetration all game long and get Yao in trouble.

With the lineup we have now, the balance is pretty good imo with Battier at least taking on the defensive work. If we trade for Melo, we MUST give up Martin imo so that we don't have to throw in other important pieces like Battier because he could still be a starter with Melo as the 2 or LEE as the 2 and Melo at 3. And we won't be too thin off the bench if we trade Martin. However, if we trade Brooks, we have to throw in a whole bunch of players just to match Melo salary and that's going to make the bench thinner....not a good idea.

4. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

1. Whoever is in the game at the time is going to guard them. I also believe when they play each other, and we do have Melo on our team...it will be a very competitive game from him on the offensive and defensive end.

2. How are Melo and Battier going to start together? Their both SF's

5. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Well, Melo will have to play 2.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he wont' be cheap when his contract is up. and he wants to start. and i know the nuggets are really high on ty lawson (and he's going to be a pretty damn good player once he gets minutes). just doesn't make sense.

and why wouldn't they want martin? he's fairly young, also cheap for a 20+ppg scorer, and they will still fairly contend with him in the lineup rather than brooks. again, brooks is due for a big payday.

i think the opposite. i would rather keep brooks. i think brooks' speed and change of pace is something that we lack. melo AND yao will provide the scoring and the free throws easily (again, melo averages like 8-9 fta per game anyways). and melo prefers the half court anyways since he plays like a halfcourt player (isolation...). so i don't know why you would want to keep kmart b/c of his ability to get to the line. melo will do that just fine and more.

lowry can't replace brooks' explosiveness at the PG position. while he provides better defense and passing, he is not brooks. when he's hot, brooks can create his own shot and go on a tear. he doesn't need others to create for him. kevin martin kind of does.

so having 2 guys capable of getting hot and getting their own on the perimeter will open it up for yao tremendously. and he is UNLIMITED 3pt range as we all saw last year.

again, it's all about the balance that we'll get if we keep brooks rather than kmart.

if i was denver, i wouldn't want brooks. i want martin, picks, hill/patterson and some. this is denver trading their face of the franchise here. clips will offer a lot too.

1 person likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sure. Let's trade for a Max superstar and one of the very top scorers in the league and tell him he has to play out of position. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that??

8. tariq

tariq Member

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

"The Nuggets made it clear to teams they want young players and draft picks for Anthony, league executives said. The New Jersey Nets and Los Angeles Clippers have emerged as the two most probable destinations for Anthony because they have assets that appeal to Denver. The geography works for Anthony because of his wife LaLa Vazquez’s entertainment career.

Golden State and Houston are contenders, too. What’s more, the Charlotte Bobcats are a sleeper because of Anthony’s Brand Jordan shoe deal and the team’s ability to give the Nuggets a salary-dump proposal.
    "

10. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I'm confused. Do they want Charlotte's salary dump or young talent and picks? We have the best combo.

11. worzel gummidge

Denver can only choose between the teams Melo will agree to sign an extension with. Hopefully, the 12-win Nets and Donald Sterling won't be an option for Melo.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

13. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

The most I'd give up is Brooks, Battier, Jeffries, Hill, and NY 2011 1st swap, and the NY 2012 1st.

Assuming someone else doesn't come over with Melo:

Yao/Miller
    Scola/Patterson
    Melo/Chase
    Martin/Lee
    Lowry/Smith

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

15. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

16. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

So Wojo thinks we have the third or fourth best shot at Melo? Hmm...whats interesting is that we're the only team (besides the Nets) that Wojo listed that is confirmed to be on Melo's list.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jared Jeffries
    Shane Battier
    Draft picks...

and what?

Would the Rockets give up a starter? Would Jordan Hill and/or Chase Budinger and/or Patrick Patterson be enough to get it done?

When can Courtney Lee be traded?

19. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

The plot thickens!!! :eek:

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Interesting that Kroneke wants to play hardball and lobby for a franchise tag in the NBA. Normally a threat to blackball talent from an agency sounds like an empty threat, but that family owns more than one franchise and they could get extra difficult. With two big labor negotiations on the horizon, CAA pissing off too many billionaires could screw everything up for a lot of athletes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.