1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

London Times: Ming Dynasty to Sign This Week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

<i>September 8, 2002 On-Line
    Basketball: Ming dynasty
    By Barry Flatman

In his size 19 boots, Yao Ming stands on the brink of global superstardom. The 21-year-old from Shanghai could become the most famous sportsman in_the world. At 7ft 5in and more than 21st, he has already made history in the United States, as the first foreigner to become the No 1 draft pick in the National Basketball Association (NBA) without playing his way through the American collegiate system.

Forget Beckham, Schumacher, Agassi, Thorpe, or even basketball’s last true icon, Michael Jordan. Yao could become even more celebrated, and for one big reason. There are 1.3 billion people in China who already revere him. Jordan himself prophesied that his successor would not be an American when he first saw the youngster as a 7ft 3in upstart who still had some growing to do. “This big kid can shoot,” Jordan declared. “Somebody should sign him up now.”

<b>This week, after several months of international diplomatic wrangling, Yao will officially sign on the contractual line as a Houston Rocket. </b>

Although China have suffered several drubbings in the current world championship in Indianapolis, interest in their biggest star is immense. It’s not just his size, although he will be a full 5in taller than any of his new_teammates — even US academics are getting excited.

Professor Bob Wang, director of the Chinese-American Business Institute at New Jersey’s Fairleigh Dickinson University, says: “Basketball is the fastest-growing sport in the world, and Yao Ming coming to play in America could bring together two great powers faster than any political negotiating.

“It will bring China into America and give huge numbers of Chinese-Americans somebody who can incorporate them into the mainstream of US society. Added to that, he will have 10,000 fans banging down the doors to see their hero whenever he plays in New York, San Francisco or Los Angeles.”

And the interest is growing all the time. The Rockets have had a phone call from a Hollywood production company which wants to pitch a film script that pairs Yao with Verne “Mini-Me” Troyer of Austin Powers fame. Needless to say, it will have a basketball theme, with Yao as a coach and the minuscule Troyer as a player.

Yao will not make his NBA debut for the Rockets until late October after fulfilling his commitments to his national team at the Asian Games in South Korea. “I am excited,” he says, “but it will be impossible for me to get_used to everything straight away. Playing basketball in America will be like learning a new language or culture. I am facing a lot of things I haven’t known before, but I feel I can grow up_faster than other players might.”

What he is really looking forward to, though, is learning to drive a car. In Shanghai he got round on a bicycle — not terribly comfortable for a man with such long legs. However, he will not be yearning for mother’s home cooking: “I like big steaks and I like going to Starbucks. The food in Chinese restaurants here is different from what I know, and it was strange seeing a fortune cookie for the first time. We don’t have them in Shanghai. They must be an American invention.”

Opponents are queuing up to put him to the test. The Los Angeles Lakers’ Shaquille O’Neal says he wants to put an_elbow into Yao’s nose and gauge the reaction. Ben Wallace of the Detroit Pistons warns: “We are going to beat him up pretty bad. This is our way of saying, ‘This is our playground and this is how we play. Welcome to our country’.

“We know around the NBA what hype is all about. People are just trying to sell tickets on the back of him, and it’s going to be a good challenge for the big guy. Everybody in the league is going to step up and make him work for everything he gets. Nothing comes free in American basketball.”

Yao knows he will be a marked man, but he says calmly: “When you have pitiful moments, that makes the good ones even more valuable.”

Yao was born to be a basketball player. His father is 6ft 10in, his mother 6ft 3in, and both represented China at the sport. People in the north of the country are usually taller than those from the south, and by the age of 10, Yao could look down on most of his teachers.

At the time, running was a problem, and he was thin, weak and uncoordinated. The foundation of the Chinese Basketball Association seven years ago proved his salvation. Suddenly the sport became much more structured and Yao no longer viewed himself as a physical freak. He came to prominence at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, although US talent-spotters were aware of his promise even before the meeting with Jordan. Not surprisingly, his potential was recognised by Nike, which measures the market by the fact that there are 26m feet in Shanghai alone and 2.6 billion in the whole of China.

Terry Rhoads, Nike’s director of marketing in China, met Yao in 1997. “We had just signed a contract to sponsor the Shanghai Sharks (Yao’s old team), and had a party to introduce ourselves,” he recalls. “In walked the team, and most of them were regular guys standing about 6ft 4in tall.

“Then in comes this kid who’s about 7ft 3in, kind of skinny and in some ways looking like Manute Bol of the Philadelphia 76ers (the retired 7ft 7in Sudanese who remains the tallest man ever to play in the NBA). My jaw dropped, and then of course the scepticism came in and I thought, ‘He’s probably a stiff’. Then he started drop-shotting three-pointers into the basket and I thought, ‘Whoa!’ “Once we got him to come over to a Nike camp, the word was out, and that’s where Michael Jordan took notice. I remember Michael sinking a three-pointer and then asking Yao, ‘Can you do that?’ So Yao hits one from even further range straight into the basket.”

He came through that test. The next year will bring a different sort of pressure. “You stand to earn great wealth,” Yao was told — more than £10m over the next four years. Back came the reply: “I think I’ll get used to it.”</i>

2. wgray

wgray Member

good news jeff! i was getting alittel upset that he didn't sign yet.

3. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

THANKS JEFF

4. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is my favorite part . . .

Mini-Me as the basketball player??? That has to be a typo.

5. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Is he going to sign before he leaves the US for the Asian games?

6. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

I heard that he had left for China today with Chinese NT.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Thank you Jeff! Thank you Windandsea!

#7 Yetti, Sep 9, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2002
  8. ccc

ccc Member

Who knows when, where Ming is going to sign the contract?
    I am sure the nefarious CBA officials would give the pass some time this year, but not knowing exactly is kind of annoying!!!

9. wgray

wgray Member

preach on borther

10. aznlincolnpark

great article :D

11. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

you know what is really cool is that the freakin London times is carrying our own Houston Rockets organization!

Overnight, we have become an international sensation! This is so cool. The last time the London times reported any Rockets goings on was either the NBA Championships or when Lew Lloyd ran out on a Ritz Cartlon tab in downtown London in 1989 :)

12. fwang

fwang Member

I think the hype surrounding this dude is nuts. Can he ever live up with the expectation? While I have no doubt that Yao Ming has a very bright future in NBA, he is now facing tremendous amount of pressure never seen before. There are a lot of Yao haters out there and every NBA player wants to dunk on this dude. Can he handle the pressure? As a fan, I just hope that we will be realistic that there will be upside and downside of Yao's game in the next few seasons.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

fwang:- It indicates that you don't have Yao Ming Mania yet? How so?

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

even jordan said yao is the real deal. mike even chose yao as his succesor. :cool: :D

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Jordan has praised Yao Ming and Steve Francis. That's high praise! Along with Cat and Griffin we are set for years to come! Ming is going to be special. And his father is 6-10, and his mother is 6-3!? Somehow I'm not shocked the guy is 7-5!

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Jordan also praised Quitten... mostly cause he liked his jock but ehh... ya know... ehhh.. hmmm

17. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

The thing that I like a lot about Yao is that he has great humility. He knows that it will be a learning experience and I see great things in his future. :D

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Pippen was also an awesome player when he played with Jordan because Jordan kept him focused and motivated. A motivated Pippen with heart and the will to take over a game would be a franchise player.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I am obligated to respond to this....pippen was NEVER awesome at anything!!! ;)

20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Why is a London newspaper reporting on basketball? :confused: