1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Punks] House, Car Shot Up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, Aug 19, 2010.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Two nights ago, someone with a bb gun shot holes in 5 windows in the front of my house. I filed a police report and called the insurance company. I discovered I didn't have a glass policy on the house, so the deductible on the damage is pretty high and the repairs will basically all come out of my pocket.

Then last night, someone (presumably the same person) shoots out the back window of my brand-spanking-new Mini Cooper. This car is so new, I've only burned a half-tank of gas since buying it. The car was actually in the driveway when my house was shot up two nights earlier but was spared at that time.

Fortunately for me, my father knows how to do some glass work, but still the whole thing will likely cost me well over $500.

And now, what do I do to keep this person from doing it a third time? I can borrow my brother-in-law's dog for a little while to bark at him. I won't be buying a gun, and I doubt it'd help much anyway, since the problem is catching the guy doing it in the first place. My wife would like a security system, but I'm skeptical -- it won't be long before I've paid more for the security than I will have paid the glass man to repair the damage. Suggestions?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Set up a video tape and nab those guys.

DD

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A security system isn't going to stop then from bb gunning your property but of course it has it's benefits. As far as the cost, it will be more expensive than the glass repair but the glass repair is just a one time occurrence. If you don't want to shell out a lot of money, try installing a bright motion detection light outside your house.

Having a bright light suddenly turn on can be an effective deterent.

4. droxford

droxford Member

Park in the garage.

Do you live inner-city?

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sounds scary. Sounds like some idiot lives in your neighborhood. Make sure you are safe.

6. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I would park in the street and wait for those punks to show up.

7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Age range of perps: 9-12 years old.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Jacks_Up_3s

Jacks_Up_3s Member

i suggest that you get bright lights and cameras outside your house but what if they go inside your house if you dont want to use a gun learn karate i know karate i been doing it since i was little and believe it or not you can always take a gun away no matter what the situation is

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I could understand it happening once but the fact that someone is targeting you twice suggests it is someone that has it in for you specifically (assuming no other neighbors are experiencing the same thing). That's very disconcerting. My guess it is some local punk in your neighborhood who doesn't like you much for whatever reason.

12. JuanValdez

1. Don't have a garage. That wouldn't protect the house windows anyway.

2. Yes, I do live in the inner city - Third Ward. But, I've been here about 8 years without any problems with crime until now (soon after buying the car, as it happens...).

3. A motion sensor and light could make some sense, but has its problems. The punk in question was firing from the street. The motion sensor would need to be set to sense people in the street, but passing cars would have it turning on all the time.

4. lol at the stakeout. I already hardly get any sleep as it is with twin babies.

5. A video camera might be the best deterrent. Would I need a monthly service, or can I record to my own computer or what? Anyone know a good system for this kind of thing?

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Seriously, that sucks. Hopefully is just some stupid kids who are going back to school soon. Let us know how this all turns out.

14. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

JV - I can empathize with you. I hope that this isn't a recurring theme and that you and your family are safe and well.

I grew up near W. Little York and Fairbanks N. Houston, and though our neighborhood wasn't a bad area, there were bad people living there making things tough. There was one year where the guy across the street had a stand-off with SWAT, most of my neighbors got broken into, and my dad's car windows were shot out with a BB gun as well.

That was the last year we lived in that neighborhood - my parents moved us out to Cypress to get away from it all.

15. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

This is probably right. Talk to your neighbours. Someone else may have been victim to this...or may know of a kid in the area with a bb gun.

Consider putting up signs warning others that someone's been shooting a bb gun at houses with young kids and that it has been reported to the police. Might not flush 'em out, but maybe a kid who just got a bb gun will get a well deserved beating from his dad.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You should put a sign in your yard taunting them so that when you stake out you will have a better chance of them coming back.

17. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

now what shows his age more?

the video tape reference or the word "nab"?

poll to follow shirtly

18. JuanValdez

The cops say no one else has reported property damage from bb guns. It's not surprising that I am a target. I am a well-to-do white person in a somewhat poor black neighborhood. I have a big new house on a street with some run-down apartment buildings. I have a black wife. And now I have a new car. If a local teenager wants to stick it to the Man, I'm the Man's local ambassador.

Right now, it's just a nuisance and an expense. I don't think the perps have the balls to step onto the property. If they do, that'll escalate things to a whole other level.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nabbing those punks would be groovy.

DD

20. Poloshirtbandit

There are some that stream to your computer. I looked at buying one a while back, but ended up not bothering with it. As far as I know there are no monthly fees involved, just you setting it up.