1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need fitness tips, any trainers here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets2K, Aug 18, 2010.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

P.S. I am not a personal trainer. I feel qualified to talk, because I had a successful weight loss. I went from 165 lbs to 137 lbs in 5 months at the beginning of the year. I went from a 36.5" waist to a 31.5" waist. I am now in the middle of a mass gaining phase.

Things that helped with the fat loss:
    I started a food log online and weighed my food. I worked out only 2 x week using weights to maintain muscle mass. You would be surprised how much your body can change with only 2 sessions a week and good eating habits.

Eating habits are a personal thing, so I don't like to give too many specifics. It might not work for you.

I stick to the basics. Eat 4-6 smaller meals(every 2-4 hours) instead of 2 large meals a day. On the weekends, I eat something healthy before going out or visiting family. I am less hungry at social events, so it's easier to control portions.

2. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

If you can swim i think that a good way to lose weight because you use all your big muscle without putting pressure on the joint or overload your heart workload. Of course you have to limit your carb and calorie intake to minimal. Eat more of complex carb like oats keep you full longer as well as steady insulin level. Keep up the good work.

3. Jacks_Up_3s

Jacks_Up_3s Member

i think everyone here has a good idea food is the main thing and so is cardio i was a trainer for 4 years you dont need to lift weights to get in shape its good to stay strong and turn fat into muscle. knowing the condition you have you need to do cardio until you hit about 200 then from there lift light dont forget the cardio then once you hit 185 you will be nice and cut oh and you can do some type of sport like me i run 2 laps everyday then i head over to train in karate we only have 2 schools here in the US of our karate and our training for loosing weight is amazing we have a very talented teacher so i would recommend some kind of karate very healthy for the body

4. Classic

Classic Member

I'm a personal trainer at a Lifetime in the Houston area. I've had a lot of success working with clients to help them lose weight. Feel free to message me through the board. I don't might doing a little pro-bono for the Clutchfans staff and get you set up on a solid nutrition plan.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Both Classic and I are certified PTs, he knows his stuff, but I'll be glad to pitch in any way I can. Although I'm super busy at the moment, I'd be happy to refer you to someone depending on what part of town you're in.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

All these fitness tips aside...it really comes down to consistency and will power.

A general rule of thumb is that if you exercise the various muscles of the body with weight lifting sessions (each muscle worked should be rested between 48-72 hours (never work out a muscle that is still sore) between sessions for muscle recovery; work that muscle hard and it only needs to be worked once a week unless your a serious bodybuilding type) and mix in cardio sessions of cycling/running anywhere from three to five days a week from 20 minutes to one houre while restricting your caloric intake to 1500 - 2500 calories a day...you are going to lose weight. Eating five smaller meals a day is best at keeping the metabolism up. Limiting carbs, limiting to good carbs, and taking in more protein will help.

It is definitely not rocket science. Consistency and patience is more key than anything. Don't try to do it all at once and don't hope for miracles. You'll get out of it what you put into it. Start slow and ramp it up as your body indicates you can.

That said...you can keep a food log and/or exericise log to serve as motivation.

7. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/

This guy is super motivating. Shows you how to eat, how to work out and most of his work outs don't even require going to the gym. Guy is freaking huge, all muscle and looks to be natural aside from Protein powder.

8. E_Saiyan

E_Saiyan Member

Can anyone in Dallas (in the downtown/uptown area) recommend a gym and/or personal trainer? Looking to work with someone to establish a solid workout routine.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

dude, no.....

if you dont mind me asking, what's the pay structure there like for a personal trainer?

10. Classic

Classic Member

email me