1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time To Close Shop on Hating the Jazz

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by CBrownFanClub, Aug 18, 2010.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

I hate the Jazz like every good Rockets fan.

But I've always had it in for the Mavericks, I hate Mark Cuban, I hate how he gets everything he wants like a spoiled child, I hate how they always seem to pull off every deal for every player. I hate Erick Dampier(although he's not there anymore) but you know what makes it all better?

They, like the Jazz, have zero rings. We have two.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This is officially the worst thread ever created on this site

3. kharboosa

kharboosa Member

LOLLL at the cup for the junk. And while Utah as a state might be beautiful, the effing j*zz have ruined that entire state for me for the rest of my life. I was 14 when stockton hit that 3 in 97. It still hurts lol. That was the only year I was a bulls fan.

4. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I hate the Jazz, but I hate them now a little less, Stockton and Malone are gone. but now they have AK47, and Sloan still with them, so I cant shake it away.

5. Munozadj

Munozadj Contributing Member

Man, did you have brain tumors for breakfast?

No. I will hate them until they no longer exists. They could move to Houston as the second pro basketball of the town, I would hate them even more. But it won't happen.

I will hate them even if Sloan dies yesterday, Karl is found to have taken illegal body enhancing chemicals during his pro days and forfeits all Utah's wins and revoke his stats, Sockton is found to have played while a woman, and Utah secedes from the United States. You name every possible favorable outcome for the Jazz franchise, and I hate them.

6. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

I did not, but do I have friends who have died quite young from them, maybe that's what it was. Thanks for the reminder and thoughtful reply!

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

There's that Shane guy. But whatever. Don't let hidden agendas get in the way.

The Jazz sucked Yesterday.

They sucked today.

They'll suck tomorrow too.

8. StanleyHartwell

Why does anybody ever have to hate on anybody else?

What is hate? what is love? what is life and what is its meaning?

We should all love each other and be gay.

9. cuddie

cuddie Member

Don't forget Chuck!

As for the OP, I'd place the Mavs below the Jazz in terms of rivalry. We've had genuine history with the Jazz. We've won multiple playoff series, we've lost multiple playoff series. Heartcrushing in '97, heartcrushing in '07.

The Mavericks? We've only faced them twice in the playoffs. Lost to them in '88, lost to them in '05. Outside of that and your general distaste for the organization, there isn't much of a rivalry there when compared to the Jazz.

10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

C'mon guys, the real reason everyone hates the Jazz so much now is because Clutch lived in Utah when he created the site, during the height of the Stockton/Malone era.

This was BEFORE the Stockton shot that knocked the Rockets out of the Western Conference Finals. Think about that for a second. This was the first year Clutch City '97, the predecessor to ClutchFans existed!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WhDi0Ce_Z5w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WhDi0Ce_Z5w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

You don't think that influenced the tide a bit? Who do you think popularized the word "Jazzhole?"

I'm definitely with the OP on letting the whole Jazz thing go away to a degree, but the recent first round losses still sting. I'd like to knock them out of the playoffs again.

But the "rivalry" is entirely onesided, and a bit overblown. No one in Utah gives two farts about the Rockets. They all hate the Lakers, and to a lesser extent the Suns, up there.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Jazz suck balls...

if you don't get the hatred, you never will...

12. Steve_Francis_rules

I hated the Jazz before 97. I will continue to hate them AT LEAST until Sloan retires. If they stop playing like a bunch of cheating bastards after that, maybe I'll become indifferent to them.

13. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Is that true? I don't remember that. See, that is the one rationale for the Jazz hatred that I consider an A-list reason to continue the hate. IF Clutch's hate for Utah played that much of a role in the existence of this website - btw we need to throw a party for year 15 - then count me in. The basketball stuff i get, but to a much much lesser degree than the rest of the board. If there is a legit CF historical angle, i am back in.

Sorry to waver, Mavericks.

But if you really want my hate

I know you will be able wait

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....everything he wants but nothing he needs. As long as Cuban is influencing the front office moves, they will never be a legit contender...entertaining? Yes. But he meddles far to much with his team for them to every build a sustainable championship team....too many new pieces added every year, too much emphasis on big names, not enough emphasis on defense or role players. In a way Cuban is good for Houston because his presence in the long term weakens Dallas.

15. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

The part about Clutch living in Utah in 1997 is definitely true. We went to this game together. http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199611090HOU.html

It was really the only time I ever met him in person, but he had organized a group of about 100 Rockets fans living in Utah to attend the game, and it was awesome. At the time I was working on my own Rockets website, and we kind of got to know each other a little through email, and found out we were close neighbors. I was a freshman in college, and he picked me up for the game and everything. It was great.

Having said that, you can't really attribute the creation of ClutchFans to the Jazz. Clutch is a lifelong Rockets nut. The site was inevitable.

You CAN, however, attribute a little extra anti-Jazz sentiment in these parts to the time Clutch spent behind enemy lines, as it were, at the height of the rivalry.

You can bet he's influenced the herd over the last 15 years or so.

2 people like this.
  16. Steve_Francis_rules

This is a ridiculous claim. Were the Mavs not legit contenders when they were up 2-0 on Miami in the NBA Finals? If not, does that mean that only after the season is over can we decide who the one legit contender in the league was (the champion)?

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's never time to stop hating the Jazz.

18. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Its not just about the jazz for me. its the utah sports fan. they have one pro team they are loyal to, so they cheer for the douche teams in every sport. they are the duke, yankees, cowboys fan. i went to school and have had jazz fans as roomates. They still dont understand that hakeem used his foot to pivot, not travel. they boo after every effing whistle against them. i have never seen a fan base so homeristic. when i watch a rockets game, i dont scream at a ref when scola gets called for a blocking foul when he squeezes in at the last minute. But at utah, the jazz are angels and sloan farts gold. there will never be a team that i will not wish more ill will to than the jazz...well...except the utes.

19. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

I respect the OP for posting his views on the "rivalry" matter. I admit, he does have valid reasons for hating the Mavs more than the Jazz. But, upon reading the other posters and segregating the blind hate from the valid ones, these people do have valid and justifiable reasons for hating the Jazz more. For me it's all about remembering what you felt during the past years and gathering those emotions and rationalizing why one hates the Jazz more. Our friends here remember the deep wound and try to use it as motivation for the team that we should not suppose to emulate or be like and the team that we should suppose to transcend.

In the end, I respect CBrown for posting his views. CBrown should also respect the reason(s) why most of our team hate the Jazz more.

In my opinion, I believe that we should be rivals with top caliber teams such as the Lakers or the Spurs. I know they have the Celtics as their rivals and maybe some will disagree with me but my point is: iron sharpens iron. We need a good-great team to make us even better. The Jazz or Mavs ain't no iron :) .

20. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/76p_ncbffCE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/76p_ncbffCE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;color1=0x5d1719&amp;color2=0xcd311b&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>