1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Morey's package for Denver better than the Knicks' or Nets'?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 18, 2010.

1. da boss

da boss New Member

i know houston has a better package than any other team its a win win situation for us dont forget we have 2 first round picks and a 6 million dollar trade excemption and we have about 6 million dollars on jared jeffries contract at the end of this year that will expire. all we have to add is one maybe 2 players maybe cbud and jordan hill and thats it thats young talent for their future you say how about our future well melo is only 26 and kmart is young and so is brooks so were good on that also and if carmelo doesnt sign and extension with us that fine his 17 million and maybe yaos 16 million can come off the books after this year we will really have money to sign some big free agents also so we can loose here

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Whats wrong with it? Its not horrible IMO for a rebound/shot blocking machine.

Chris Andersen $4,533,300 $4,869,100 $5,204,900 $5,540,700

3. colts_1994

colts_1994 Member

the link i made got messed up, the trade was Houston gets Carmelo Anthony and Chris Anderson for Aaron Brooks, Kevin Martin, Jordan Hill, and Jared Jeffires.

4. da boss

da boss New Member

i know houston has a better package than any other team its a win win situation for us dont forget we have 2 first round picks and a 6 million dollar trade excemption and we have about 6 million dollars on jared jeffries contract at the end of this year that will expire. all we have to add is one maybe 2 players maybe cbud and jordan hill and thats it thats young talent for their future you say how about our future well melo is only 26 and kmart is young and so is brooks so were good on that also and if carmelo doesnt sign and extension with us that fine his 17 million and maybe yaos 16 million can come off the books after this year we will really have money to sign some big free agents also so we cant loose here

5. eeeZZY

eeeZZY Member

i agree. i think he would be very helpful when we play the lakers with their length.

6. zhaozhilong

zhaozhilong Member

No top-tier player who wants to win is going to join Rockets until Yao Ming proves that he can go through at least the coming season without any leg problems. All the star players out there should have this concern or they're too dumb to be any good for us. That's the reality.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh, I don't know... he doesn't score, he doesn't pass, he's a lousy free throw shooter. He can rebound and block shots. Considering where we are with regard to the LT, that his contract ends after the 2013/2014 season, and his production, it's too much to pay, IMO.

8. worzel gummidge

Trade exceptions can't be packaged. Nets have something better than those TEs or expiring contract. They have around $15 million of capspace. This allows them to do something like trade Favors + Terrence Wiliams for Melo. A large TE would then be generated for the Nuggets.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Guy's offense is non-existent BUT his defense is a difference maker. We need length and athleticism, this guy provides it. The guy isn't making 10 million or something nuts like an Okafer contract, very reasonable.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

My guess is Rockets won't find his contract desirable. He's been a useful guy, but is 32, just had knee surgery, and is scheduled to be on the books for years. There's gotta be cheaper and less risky options, especially given that the team has significnat frontl court depth already.

The only way I can see the Rockets take him is if they use the Ariza TPE to eat his contract as a part of the price of getting Carmelo Anthony.

11. FanSince93

FanSince93 Member

This.

If we trade Brooks and Martin, considering the uncertainity of Yao's health, the only offense will be Melo. We will not be competitor this year or next year.

12. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

The Nets have a lot of picks and a competitive package.
    Here is a link someone posted in the original camello trade thread on NJ's trade assets:
    http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/8/17/1627404/nets-trade-assets-are-varied

However, I think Houston's package is very competitive as well. And even though Carmello's wife wants to be closer to the east coast (they both have the money to fly there anytime they want, and have all off season to take the focus of his work), Carmello is entering his peak seasons and (like Paul) wants to go to a contender and win a championship now. He only has a certain window of time, NJ and NY might not get there until he is older, and there is no guarentee their management can do it. Morey already has the pieces in place and is already a proven front office star, as well as Adelmen.

Everyone is talking about what We want, but not enough about what Denver would want.

What will their basketball needs be when Melo is traded?
    They will have a huge hole in scoring, and a hole at SF.
    Martin is our best scorer (with comparable defense), and Bud is the only SF I see them interested in (Young talent, cheap contract, with starting potential/talent)

We gave up Carl Landry to get Martin. You don't think it's going to hurt (trading good players)to get Melo? Put yourself in their shoes, What would YOU want for Melo (you longtime healthy superstar and the face of your franchise)?

They have two good PGs, they don't need Brooks, I maybe wrong but I don't think they have a hole at PF (someone tell me if they do and I'm mistaken).

At Least IMO Martin, Bud and both draft picks would have to go (maybe an expiring contract or cash in there too).

13. Hball

Hball Member

Thats why we should use martin as the trading chip and let courtney lee start at the 2.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would rather keep Martin....with Melo, Martin, Yao, and Lowry this team would LIVE at the FT line.

DD

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

To get Carmelo and a legit center who can rebound and effect shots? Shoot, why not?? :confused: . We're talking DYNASTY here! ;)

16. worzel gummidge

They'll want Brooks because dumping Billups's contract with Melo gets them closer to getting under the tax.

Al Harrington was signed to a long term deal. If the Rockets are sending Battier, Jeffries or both they'll be stacked at SF.

Brooks, Lawson, Carter (expiring),
    Afflalo, JR (exp), Jeffries (exp),
    Harrington, Battier (exp), Balkman
    Kenyon (exp), Patterson, Andersen
    Nene, Hill, Shelden (exp)

Billups, Lowry
    Martin, Lee, Taylor
    Melo, Budinger
    Scola, Rolle (via IND), Johnson (re-signed after waived by DEN)
    Miller, Yao

17. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Yes, it's really true. Unless NY can magically transform Isiah with all those gross looking into his youthful self back in the early 90s, they have no chance.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Actually, Melo is a very capable defender. He just seems to not care about defense until the playoffs. He defended Kobe well. But one thing about Melo, he's never been on a team like ours. He's on the Thuggets. I would have to hope our culture would rub on him. However, even if it didn't, I have two questions for you:

1. Are we contenders now?
    2. Will any player better than Melo become available in the future?

I think the answers to those questions are both no. We either make this move or start planning to rebuild now.

1 person likes this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it's actually a pretty solid deal for a backup center. athletic, great shotblocker, very good rebounder, good defender. i'd take that contract if we get melo. after this year it's only like 13.8 mil owed to him in the next 3 years.

edit...is hoopshype wrong? i saw someone else show his contract to be completely different.

double edit...and i forgot he just had knee surgery. maybe not so much anymore

20. worzel gummidge

Birdman had that comeback year but he got injured and hasn't been the same. He's a bad contract now.