1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Let's Talk Baylor Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sammy, Dec 31, 2009.

1. rokixs

rokixs Member

the man knows how to recruit what can you say

2. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

I love these posts. Baylor is no longer a doormat so people assume something is up. Keep it up Coach Drew and keep crossing Rick Barnes' line.

As for Drew being unable to coach, see the great 8.

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I'm not convinced one way or another on his coaching ability yet (his recruiting is amazing), but do not use the Elite 8 in saying he is a great coach. Baylor beat a 14 seed, an 11 seed, and a 10 seed to get to the Elite eight so he did not prove he is a great coach. He didn't screw up the opportunity, which is important, but it does not prove he is a good coach. Baylor had one of the easiest runs to the Elite 8 in history.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

of course, the flip side of that is he coached them to a 3 seed.

5. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

They beat who they played and lost to the eventual national champions in the final minutes. Yep, Drew's coaching ability had nothing to do with that at all. Nor did his coaching during the regular season to get BU a high seed in the first place.

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

You can point to that and I can point to the year before where he took a highly talented team to the NIT ... I didnt say he is a terrible coach, but one season to the elite eight beating a 10 seed to get there doesnt make him a great coach.

Ive never seen more defensive fans than Bear fans ... With the talent coming into Baylor in the next few years, Drew will certainly have his chance to prove himself

7. PointForward

PointForward Member

No, Baylor starts bringing in top recruits in the country and competing with top programs with great tradition (Duke, etc...) for recruits virtually overnight, and people naturally assume something is up.

Yes, a great coach can "coach up" his players, establish tradition, and then after 5-6 years he can start ushering in good recruits, but you don't do it overnight because you are a "great recruiter". Something is a-brewin' at Baylor, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if an NCAA investigation is opened very soon.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

*insert haters gonna hate pics/gifs

9. Astro101

Astro101 Member

It would be program suicide to even think about doing what's implied especially after the NCAA put Baylor on probation after the consideration of the "death penalty". Drew wouldn't be that dumb.

10. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

your an idiot your just mad that your precious ags cant recruit

11. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

LOL. Keep it up Coach. The natives are restless.

12. eaglepoke56

eaglepoke56 Member

i would have no problem if he were bringing in solid recruits but two top five players in two years??? The guy ain't that charming.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He has been bringing in solid recruits. It started with Jerrells and Dugat.

Then we got Dunn, Tweety Carter, Acey and Anthony Jones.

We got lucky with the Udoh transfer.. made the elite 8. The rest is history, sonn.

14. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

lol

[​IMG]

15. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Actually, he is pretty charming.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

this is why it's so much easier for a small private school to make a splash in hoops than football...

a couple of key recruits...a string of good luck...and your program is re-invented.

17. PointForward

PointForward Member

That's all good. Those guys were the definition of "solid". Great recruits, but not spectacular. Not Duke/Kansas/Kentucky type recruits. But those new guys he has coming in are heavy weights. If you actually think those kids legitimately picked Baylor over the top programs in the nation, you are kidding yourselves. Heck, I would have trouble believing it was legitimate if UT pulled them in, much less Baylor (or my Aggies for that matter, let's face it, we're not Duke).

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing but respect for Baylor basketball. They went on a great run this past year and after the Ags were knocked out, I was pulling for Baylor to go all the way because they really deserved it. Great team with level headed, hard working players (but questionable coaching did them in) .

But come on, seriously? The #2 prospect in the country? This early? Something smells awfully fishy here.

18. eaglepoke56

eaglepoke56 Member

Hey i was rooting for them!!! I just don't ger the sudden rise of the program

19. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Bobo Morgan granted his transfer waiver today by the NCAA!

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/091310aaa.html

LeBryan Nash and Ky Madden both visited this past weekend and apparently the visit went very well. I really hope Nash commits soon.

Quincy Miller and Deuce Bello also have a visited scheduled for October the 2nd. Time to go to work Scott.

20. shoodomoney

shoodomoney Member

Man, this has me excited. Scott Drew, what a pimp.