1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar SFs to trade for?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by agslai, Aug 12, 2010.

1. GoRoc

GoRoc Member

Seriously, you made me change my opinion about melo.

2. Guru

Guru Member

From my point of view, it's not that we need a SF only, but we need a star/superstar player who can be the leader of this team...NO, Yao is not it.

And because we have above average players for all positions aside from SF, it makes sense to upgrade that position and find a leader. That doesn't mean a player like Nash/CP3/Roy or anyone in a different position (like Bosh was) shouldn't be a considered.

That said out of the options listed in this thread the only one that seems realistic to me is Iggy. He has experience leading a team, a crappy one at that, but he has been the go to guy. In addition, he has the ability to create for his team mates (career 4.6 APG including his first 2 seasons, 5.4 without the first 2 seasons). We know he can score in bunches, but he is also a very good defender. He also plays the same type of game as Turner, so is the most realistic to be traded around the deadline if they can't co-exist.

Here is why i don't think the others make sense:

Melo - Wants to go to NY, he is from there, his wife (i think) works there or could, and he is not going to play in Houston to "just win". Any team he goes to, can be a competitor.

Wallace - Injury prone; not much of a leader, or has not shown it. Aside from that with only 2 years left on his contract, the Bobcats would rather have him play with SJax this year and if it doesn't work out have a 10 mil expiring contract on their hands.

Granger - Will be shocked if he is traded. With the recent Collison trade, it seems Indy is putting their eggs in the Collison/Granger/George and he is going to be leading that crew.

Just my thoughts, will we land a player like Iggy...I doubt it.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Until next summer. Then our lineup would look like this:

Brooks/ Lowry
    Lee/ Afflalo
    __{hole where Anthony used to be}__/ Budinger
    Scola/ Hayes or Patterson
    Yao/ Miller

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Granger is my pick. He was available around draft time. Depending on how far away they think they are from contending, Granger may be available for the right package.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I'm sure I don't care what you are sure or unsure of...

:grin:

DD

6. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

I'd love Carmelo, but if he isn't re-upping in Denver, he won't re-up here.

I do like having Granger, but you can toss that out now. Indiana got there PG and they'll try that out. They got two pieces to work with and grow up, both are very solid too. That Collison trade took us out of the Granger hunt for at least this season.

Iguodala can be had as soon as Turner takes over. Similar to how Tyreke moved Martin out, same will be had here.

Paul will move once we're at the deadline and the Hornets still suck. At least, hopefully, they do.

Iguodala is the most realistic. Paul is the one I'd want.

7. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Outside of Paul, Iguodala would be the best IMO. He fits very well with Kevin, and he fits very well with Martin. Opposite styles, different games.

If we do get him, my question still remains, do we have a closer? I'm not sold on Aaron, and don't know too much about Andre to say he's clutch. We still lack that 1 on 1 player that we can drop the ball to for the last 5 minutes of the game, and tell him to win it for us. That separates us from the upper echelon, only Paul and really Melo solidfy that in in the open market. Though, Andre certainly has the "skills" to do it, can he?

I don't think anyone will doubt his athleticism or his skills to create 1 on 1, but do we trust him doing it, and does he trust himself?

8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Fits very well with Aaron**

9. psingh34

psingh34 Member

as you said carmelo is likely going to leave denver, if he is going to leave the only city he has known in his nba career what makes you think he would resign with the rockets? I dont touch melo until he agrees to sign an extension because I feel he is newyork bound after this season ... why would we basically rent a player and in the process give away all our flexibility .. that would be a lot liek the randy johnson trade where we enjoyed half a season then watched the prospects we gave away (guillen and freddy garcia) blossom into all stars

10. psingh34

psingh34 Member

i think the two players that are going to become available are iggy and granger ..
    iggy bc philly is going to try to get draft picks and young talent to start over and bc they have a replacement for him

granger bc indiana has options at the 3 (esp after drafting george) and have a need at the 4 .. we can afford to give up a jordan hill and maybe a pick to bring granger over ..

i dont see melo or paul happening just bc they are both FA who are gonna try to form their own 3 some ..

11. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

I would love Iggy as my starting 2 and Granger as my starting 3. If Morey could make that happen I would soil myself, but I am happy and content with what we have. I love this team.
    GO ROCKETS

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Carmelo Anthony seems to be moving more and more to a street mentality,
    his demeanor, words and actions would not work with the carefully chosen personalities of our team.
    Adelman & Morey have had enough with the Artest and Ariza experiments. :p

13. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

What do you'll think about trading for Iggy at the cost of losing Budinger?

I think I would do it especially since we are in win now mode. Iggy brings good length, and defense too the team. I think the only way we do it is a trade like this

Hou sends Battier, Jeffries, Budinger, a pick(s). (NY 2012 maybe, NY Swap 2011, or both)
    Hou receives Iguodala

Phi sends Iguodala
    Phi receives Jeffries, Budinger, a pick. Buys out Battier, to resign with Rockets.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2g5omnu

IMO, the ONLY way we can do a trade like this is if the Sixers agree to buy out Battier, so that we can sign him.

Roster would look like this:

Brooks\Lowry
    Martin\Lee
    Iggy\Battier(After 30 days). We can rotate Lee/Martin at this spot as well.
    Scola\Hayes\Patterson
    Yao\Miller\Hill

Starters right there look like real contenders. Thoughts?

14. mFt82

mFt82 Member

Trading everyone on the team all the time works well I video games from what I can recall. However, I doubt the efficacy of this method in reality.

15. thaidizzle

thaidizzle Member

isnt that a little too much? im pretty sure we can leave out Kevin martin in that trade somehow

16. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Iggy is overrated and not worth more then 1 rotation player, 1 or 2 young bench warmers and no picks.

17. Seth

Seth Member

I think the backbone of a team consists in a PG, a SG or SF and a PF or C.
    And i am not sure Brooks is backbone material.
    More than focusing on improving an area we are pretty much set with star caliber players (SG Martin - SF Lee/Battier) i would improve the starting PG.

18. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

honestly i would like Iggy or Ganger over carmelo...because of character. i think Iggy and Granger are team oriented guys and carmelo has some problems, not saying his he bad but i would perfer Iggy or Granger. carmelo is a all-star no doubt but i dont consider him a superstar.

19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Someone please just tell me how we get Tayshaun Prince?

How much salary will he demand next season?

20. Yaowza!

Yaowza! Member

Not enough there for Denver.

Gotta give up Budinger. Keep Battier