1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chad Ford Insider] Hou working on 4 team deal [Update: Done Deal - Ariza for C Lee]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Convictedstupid, Aug 11, 2010.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Not much consolation considering he completely underperformed for the Nets.

2. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

This guy is the real deal!

Look at the 40 second mark.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zcJSYGsRFAk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zcJSYGsRFAk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

3. J-Tang

J-Tang Member

This is a trade that gets us the stuff we expected our of Ariza and never got. A reliable shooter who can sink the spot up three pointer.

Lee lacks some of the athleticism that Ariza had but it's not as if Ariza was capitalizing on it that much. Poor ball handling, turnovers, missed wide open opportunities not to mention a heavy salary and the lack of flexibility to move him to the bench where he actually belonged all get replaced by Courtney Lee.

Lee has great ball handling, we know he can handle pressure situations given that he was the starting guard of the Magic in the Finals. Really do think he can be a sixth man off the bench and also give old man Battier a breather while actually creating some offense that Shane is obviously missing.

We have a really solid bench now. I like all our starters and we have a solid backup for all of them.few teams can say that.

4. Slimjim19

Slimjim19 Member

This is a decent move in my opinion. Budinger will get more playing time, and Lee is a pretty good defender. Also, this trade makes very little sense for NO. I know they're stacked at the PG position, but it's not like Ariza will help them much.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

they used him as a "scoring guard"???

that's like saying we use yao as a big man. duh. Lee plays the shooting guard spot, what else do you expect him to be besides a scoring option? You're trying to imply he was used as a go to guy, which he isnt and wasnt.

You're actually making a very big point here that you're not aware of and it's in favor of this trade.

there's role guys who want to shoot and want the ball, regardless of whether they're good or what their efficiency is. Ariza is one. Mike james is another. Those guys can increase their stat line when given the green light, but won't always fit in minor roles. On the other hand, guys like Lee will always be the ones who pick and choose their spots and recognize when more talented players have better opportunities. That's why he's not going to score alot more on a weaker team, except if maybe the team was sucked dry of talent and he's the only option, but they had harris, lopez, and even CDR took on a role as a go to option for quite a while. Yi is also more likely to try to be an option than simply fit in.

Rafer put up 10 shots a game, only 3 less than their franchise players (harris/brooks, which each should be a lot higher anyway).....what does that tell you? It's a young team, where the true go to guys won't demand the ball (sound familiar?) or dont have enough guys that'll get it to them. Coaching is also to blame. Their roster is full of the same kind of players, shooters, scorers, garbage/defensive guys, but not facilitators. That's why their offense sucked, none of these guys pass or run an offense well, even the PG.

So basically they traded a guy who's likely to have problems fitting in next year and accepting his role, which often interferes with your play, and got a guy who can definitely fit in because that's his natural mentality.

6. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Stopped reading at observing wall of text of excuses. :)

7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I don't get all the crying over this trade. Courtney Lee is a nice young shooting guard, on a rookie contract. Many in this thread are severely underrating him.

Yes, it cost Ariza to get the deal done. Yes, it is also a salary dump. However, Lee is a quality asset and the rockets had three capable SF options in Ariza, Battier, and Budinger. None of those three players has a good skill set to be the backup shooting guard behind Kevin Martin. Now, they have better balance on the bench.

Also, by adding Lee, the Rockets could even consider dealing Martin to get a superstar to build around.

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I will tell you what I like about this RV6. If Adelman lets it happen that it. I like Budinger starting and developing past what Ariza could give us on offense and Battier in percentages from behind the line and field goal wise also. Thats if Adelman sees it that way too. I believe Budinger is capable of that and scoring more than Ariza in fact at a more efficient rate. Making up for his defense which quit frankly isnt all that much more worse than how bad Battier has been getting torched lately. Budinger is the only reason I like this trade if he gets his shot.

9. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Completely? That's a little strong, don't you think?

10. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

I think Paul and Ariza will work great together.

As far as this contending for a championship, I think now we just need a star power SF.

11. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

In short I am glad if we traded away Ariza for Budinger and Lee as a backup to Martin. Not for Battier, and Budinger/Lee as backups. It all depends.

12. worzel gummidge

Lee's a great pick up or future trade asset but this was a salary cap move. A pure salary dump. It was costly, they had to move the starting SF, and couldn't deal away Battier instead? Anyway Lee can play both SG & SF but the Rockets are going to be small when he plays at SF.

Indiana made made out like bandits.

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am real high on what I feel Budinger can do with Starters minutes for this team eventually. Not on Battier. Battier and Ariza are stunting his growth if Battier gets starters minutes ahead of Bud this season. He should start and we should begin the process of building him and his career up now and relegating Battier to the bench.

14. worzel gummidge

With all these small fast PGs emerging Ariza was the only player on the team that could stay in front of those players and actually defend them. The Nets now have a player who can shut down Brooks, an ability Ariza proved while on the Lakers, and Avery will surely use this.

15. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Courtney lee is a solid player overall but I rather have collison and posey over lee even though we have AB and lowry. I feel Darren collison is more upside than AB as of now and has more tremoundous potential to be Superstar in the making. Oh well trust in Morey!

16. postaboi713

postaboi713 Member

guess this is the reason he was traded

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

huh? Lee is a back up to martin. And bud's minutes will increase, while battier's won't be as high, so basically it was a trade that'll give Bud more opportunities.

In other words, you've been arguing against the very thing that would make you happy.

And you dont start someone like bud and just give him a ton of minutes so early in his career. He's not john wall or derrick rose. Guys with a ton of talent, who are suppose to become great players, can use it to avoid some mistakes or to get through them. Someone like bud doesnt have that luxury and would be better off brought along slowly and his minutes increased as he continues to polish his game.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Don't know why, but I feel that this is more about dumping salary than aquiring Lee. If we are going for the trophy we shouldn't be pulling moves like this.

On the other hand, Lee is a great young player, hopefully he works out for us.

19. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Um..... Ariza went to the Hornets and you might wanna change your sig. Also Lee can handle those quick point guards.

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

No Buds minutes will increase but wont be the starter. Battier will I think according to Adelmans habits and lineups. So I am not happy with Battier starting again. If Budinger starts it still wont make that happy we lost Arizas defense either. its just a good reason for them to do this if thats what they are thinking that Budinger will be good enough to replace Ariza. Thats all i am saying.