1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chad Ford Insider] Hou working on 4 team deal [Update: Done Deal - Ariza for C Lee]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Convictedstupid, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Tornadoofsoul6

I really, really liked Courtney Lee in the 08 draft. The only part I dislike is that this is partly a salary dump.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont believe the argument that he was mistake or doesnt fit. I think it has more to do with his role shrinking in a big way and he'd be left defending and mostly spotting up....basically something that's perfect for shane/bud to take care of. I think this was basically an unlikely situation they couldnt have predicted as it happened because several good things lined up for this team, like acquiring martin, hill, miller and drafting PP. That's a lot of good depth they probably couldnt have predicted. If we end up getting less for tmac and flunk out int he draft and FA, then there's no reason to trade Ariza.

3. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

How's Lee's defense? Even with yao coming back, any lineup with Scola, Lee, Martin, and Brooks will make for an inviting target to the lane for opposing teams :(

4. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

Well said, thats the only positive I see from this, right now

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See, now that is some smart alternative thinking.

Well played BMoney, well played.

DD

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Introducing the most athletic front line in all of basketball Yao, Scola and Battier. At least the two speedsters we have in Scola and Battier can make up for Yao's lack of mobility. :grin:

7. Moahst

Moahst Member

I don't like this trade, I felt Ariza really found his niche once we acquired Kevin Martin, but from a business perspective it makes complete sense.

Martin has a history of getting injured. Courtney Lee is a more capable starter than Jermaine and a better player. It also shows this team's growing faith in Chase Budinger and a business savvy desire to save money.

I think it's going down and I'm hoping Morey can coerce some 2nd round picks as well.

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Lee actually made the playoffs as a rookie, not to mention he isn't a ****ing sloth when it comes to dribbling.

We gave up defense, but we have Battier for that reason and Jeffries if Battier is maybe in foult rouble. Lee is finally a legit backup SG that can come in, do similar things that Martin can do like drain the midrange, slash, or shoot the 3.

He is ONLY 24, now going to be in his 3rd season.
    He's a good FT shooter 85% ish, he has a pretty good FG % the past two years ( 44.2%), and he averages 1.1 STLs a game. He is really cheap too, and honestly knowing we are paying like 6+ million more Ariza, this deal would be great for us, financially and roster wise.

Just wait, you'll see that Lee is a good pick up.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He is not a negative on the defensive end. He was the starting SG on an NBA finals team, its not like he is a slouch.

10. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Staying under the tax is nice and all but you don't make your team worse to do it especially when you're trying to compete for a ring.

11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

That dude from Yahoo sports just tweeted that the trade is done!!! I seriously don't know if its a good deal...

Link coming..

12. Tornadoofsoul6

He's a solid to good defender.

13. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

My Ariza jersey :(

14. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Is Lee really a good contrast to Martin, though? From what I recall of Lee's game, it's similar to Martin's: not much of a playmaker, more of a finisher. Good shooter, better defender than Martin, but at 6'5" a little short to guard SF (if Battier is guarding the premier SG).

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Well ****. That came out of nowhere.

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With Lee, Brooks, Budinger, Hill, and Patterson, that's a lot of really good talent on rookie contracts.

If a big name like Paul or Melo does become available, this just positions us even better.

17. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It always does....and SHOCKER...it was not broken by the Houston press.

AGAIN !

DD

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

If the trade is done as reported, I am very disappointed.

We downgraded in talent in order to balance out our roster. To me, that's the same as drafting for need instead of talent. I'd rather give Adelman a team full of talent and tell him to figure it out then give him a lesser talented team that may fit a little better.

The salary dump side of the trade -- who cares? I want the best team possible out on the court -- and now you're telling me we've downgraded in talent so our owner can not pay as much money?

I think it might be time to start cutting down the Morey statue.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Rockets just got better, younger, more balanced and paid less for it.

and LOL Battier the starter again :grin:

Peace Trevor. Maybe CP3 can find a way to make you effecient.