1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Chad Ford Insider] Hou working on 4 team deal [Update: Done Deal - Ariza for C Lee]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Convictedstupid, Aug 11, 2010.

1. superden

superden Contributing Member

Yes sir.

2. sew

sew Member

I love this deal.

More time fo C-Bud.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We are overloaded at the SF position with Battier, Trevor and Cbud....one of Trevor or Shane should go.

And if we can save $5 million on the Lux tax, then it is an even smarter financial move.

"I would like to thank Mr. Alexander for his willingness to spend into the Luxury tax"

(Snicker)

DD

4. karthik.08

karthik.08 Member

agreed - money has to be a key factor here. also, this really rounds out our bench. i dont think morey liked putting our defensive captain on the bench, esp given arizas tendency to chuck it.

brooks/martin/battier/scola/yao + lowry/lee/bud/patt/miller is ridic deep and awesome. hopefully we get more in the deal tho, just to make it a true morey robbery :)

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think that's a possibility, i can't imagine he'll have a "featured role" with all of the talent we have offensively.

NO is trading a future all-star in collison for a role guy in ariza. Pacers get a future young all-star and nice back up for a declining Murphy? doesnt make sense. Lee could expire this season, but it's too little to want to get rid of ariza for him...Someone has nekkid pics of someone else.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Is Ariza better than Lee? Yes, everyone know I am not a big Ariza fan, but he is certainly the better player.

However, this trade would do a few things. Having Battier, Ariza, and Budinger at the 3 prevents one of them from playing. All of them deserve playing time, but not all of them can fit here, moving Ariza would open up a lot more time for Bud who I think has much more potential as a player and has a high ceiling. He is already much better offensively and has the smarts and athleticism to be a good defender at some point.

Also, Lee is a true shooting guard and adds depth in the frontcourt which is something they could use. Although he is young he brings playoff and NBA Finals experience as he was the starting SG for Orlando in 2009. He is also a pretty good outside shooter.

Also, I doubt Morey is giving up Ariza just for Lee, I assume he would be getting some type of draft pick considerations as well.

7. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

This makes zero sense for us and New Orleans. ZERO.

8. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

IND makes out like bandits.

9. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Seems like a backwards move to me. A front line of Yao, Scola and Ariza seems pretty tough to me.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

They must really like Budinger.

11. The83rdWonder

The83rdWonder Member

I believe NJN is well below the cap.

12. Drunk_Goat

Drunk_Goat Member

How can you not?

13. The83rdWonder

The83rdWonder Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5455472

14. Htown's2kFinest

Lee is good player but this trade is horrible. Why trade our starting SF that didn't even get to play with Yao for a back-up SG? If we got T. Williams on the other hand than I would be happy but just C. Lee isn't crazy. I hope this doesn't go through.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If we lose Ariza and only get back Courtney Lee, that would not be a good move. There has to be more to it. Losing Ariza would be big!!

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

how does havng jeffries make ariza expendable? they dont play the same position and jeffries hardly plays.

But this may just be Morey's way of covering all spots incase of injury.

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

If this goes down, wouldn't this get us within 3 million of the LTax?

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Who knows, we might be getting some picks back as well.

I am a fan of the trade as is, and it may be a part of something bigger.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think there's got to be something more to it.

Lee is a nice player to do a "salary dump" for, but what about defense? I'd really like to see Ariza play with Yao and Martin for a whole season before just dumping him for a backup SG. And how much will Lee command after this year when his contract is up?

It also limits what we can do with Battier's expiring contract, since he will be much more needed here without Ariza.

20. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Not a bad salary dump, but we wouldn't be in a position to need to dump so much salary if we hadn't overpaid scola and lowry slightly and brad miller majorly. So much for "all in."