1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ricky Rubio vs Lithuania

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Aug 8, 2010.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DyXxh1lQ26k&amp;hl=ru_RU&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DyXxh1lQ26k&amp;hl=ru_RU&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I love watching Rubio. He plays hard and just really has a nice feel for the game. I sincerely hope one day we steal him from Minny.

3. blink

blink Member

im a rubio hater bc i dont think he deserves the hype he gets. one video with the same plays over and over doesnt change much. added to that, playing versus a seemingly crappy team/point guard (blowing them out) doesnt say much.

BUT, he does seem a little meatier and had some nice plays. dont know how that will translate over to the NBA though, since the competition is a lot higher than that that was displayed in this video

4. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

At around 1:40 min Rubio pulled up for a 3 pt jump shot and nailed it with good form. I am very surprised that he's added a jump shot to his offensive game when in the past he used to be purely a set shooter. That was my greatest knock on his game was that the lack of a jump shot would hurt his transition to the NBA where the defenders are quicker, longer, and more athletic than in Europe, so a jump shot would be crucial.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He really seems to like the no-look pass. Did Llull play in that game?

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

7. wang69

wang69 Member

i'm sure a highlight reel can make even kwame brown look good. but still, he looks bigger, and his feel for passing is a joy to watch. i wish him well.

8. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

He's like a cross between Magic and Nash. He has the angles of Nash and creativity of Magic in a body that splits the difference between the two. He has a great feel for the game and from what I understand, he's a real student of the game so I'm guessing his BB IQ will keep getting better. His body is definitely filling out too, which should translate into the NBA. I can't tell how good his athleticism is, but I think he's going to be more of a cerebral point that breaks down the defense without the need of a ridiculous first step like, say, Wall for example. I vacillate on what I think about his prospects, but I'm pretty impressed here. Definitely exciting to watch.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Minny won't give him up, but he'll be gone the day he becomes a free agent. A player with his flashy skills will be drawn to NY like a moth to a flame.

10. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I wonder how his defense would translate to the NBA against more skilled and athletic players, cos it looks really good.

11. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

He will be a fantastic passer and great defender but, at least from that video, he doesn't have any offensive prowess that the NBA relies on. NBA is more individual centric and Rubio has often stated how he doesn't like that. That tells me he doesn't want to be a scorer and doesn't have the mindset to dominate.

....on the other hand, that's how I felt about Rondo. Fantastic passer lacking offensive and look at him now. So at the very least, he think his offense can progress to the point of Rondo, where Rubio's passing is so good that ppl let up on him and let the offense come easily for him.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I really hate it when people show the same plays over and over again on highlight videos. It's really annoying and does practically nothing to help the video.

As far as what I've seen, Rubio seems like a pretty good player, but I do think he's a little overrated. Granted, I haven't seen much of him, so my opinion isn't exactly relevant.

13. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Lithuania is quite a respectable team with always excellent youth prospects.

Llull is injured.

Rubio is still very young and he is very much alike Rondo. He has the ability to make plays for himself on offense, but rather passes (and does it perfectly). I believe that his ppg will blossom soon.

1 person likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Over hyped.

I'll root for him to succeed because his style is entertaining, but in the NBA you have to do a lot more than creative no look passes. Nash, the "logical" comparison ( because he's white?) is successful first because he's one of the best shooters in the history of the game, then because of his great quickness which combined with ball iq, ball handling, creativity, etc make him a great passer. Rondo, perhaps the better comparison ( can Rubio shoot?) has GREAT athleticism, extremely long arms, andmfor all his lack of a jumper is one of the best finishers in the league.

And don't forget the ore half of the game, where Nash is overmatched though rondo excels. Good news is that Rubio at least looks fairly interested in playing defense. But its one thing to d up Lithuania, another to d up CP3, deron, Nash, rose, rondo, west brook, Brooks, etc, etc.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Why didn't they take the goat off the court in that one part?

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The video only showed 3-4 plays that were worth watching. No big deal. I just wish Rubio would come to the NBA and prove how good he is.

17. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Rubio sucks. He's not even considered a good player in the Euroleague. This board is delusional.

18. vcchlw

vcchlw Member

Is Sergio Llull as good as him?

19. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Rubio is a great PG prospect, to bad his rights are owned by one of the worst teams in the league with the worst GM in the league ...

Kahn!!! :mad:
    [​IMG]

--RB

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Terrible form. He wasn't squared up, and hislegs were kicking in weird directions. He had no choice but to take it, time was running out. Making one jump shot on a highlight reel doesn't mean he's "added" a jumpshot to his game