1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who has had the better career? Shaq or Duncan?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by G-Money, Aug 4, 2010.

?

Shaq or Duncan?

1. Shaq

43.5%
  2. Duncan

56.5%
  1. G-Money

G-Money Member

Shaq:

1 League MVP award
    15 time all-star
    3 time Finals MVP
    2 scoring titles
    4 NBA Titles

Duncan:

2 League MVP awards
    12 time all-star
    3 time Finals MVP
    4 NBA Titles

Who has had the best NBA career so far?

2. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Duncan. No one on his team of importance won a title without him.

I think Duncan should be better rated than Shaq as he was far and away the best player on every championship team and has just as many titles.

He also never played with another top ten player and never jumped ship on a team to go to a better squad.

3. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

That's a tough one -- really too close to call.

I tend to think that Shaq was the more dominant player.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Shaq was dominant, but held weaknesses that crippled a team...poor FT shooting, unable to defend the PnR, periodic injuries and early season weight control.

Duncan's career is as smooth and reliable as a Honda Civic.

1 person likes this.
  5. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

What do you call David Robinson?

But that is a really tough call. Speaking career wise I would have to say Shaq since he is his own brand. Everybody knows who Shaq is but I think Duncan is the better player. He is less flashy, but more reliable and can still give the Spurs a couple more years on being playoffs contenders.

6. Ditty

Ditty Member

best post. :grin:

7. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

When motivated and in their primes? Shaq
    Over an entire career? Too close to call - Shaq has a lot more peaks and valleys to his career. Duncan, who probably can't match Shaq's peaks, is much more reliable and steady.

Regarding the FT shooting - Duncan has had more than his share of troubles hitting them down the stretch as well. Can't really rely on either of them in that aspect of the game.

8. nickb492

Guess who didn't cover Duncan?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/trdsKp94Io0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/trdsKp94Io0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

wow, i think it's dead even but I voted for Duncan and the poll is dead even.

10. ebatinga

ebatinga Member

This is a really tough comparison to make between the two....If you were to put the two at their prime...Shaq...but if you look at consistency over their career, Duncan...but it's a tough call

11. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Duncan is probably the best PF of all-time.

Shaq is no better than the 5th best C of all-time. He 'dominated' in an extremely weak era for Centers.

Put Duncan in any NBA era and he would succeed.

12. Steve_Francis_rules

Duncan is still leading the Spurs, but he also came into the league five years after Shaq. Shaq was runner-up for the MVP five years ago.

13. Seth

Seth Member

Well that´s actually nonsense, as only Ginobili and Parker are high caliber players to win something without TD and they have been with the Spurs all their career.
    Plus Ginobili won a "couple" of titles in international basketball that took Kobe 10 years to get.

Anyways, i think it´s Duncan, not because he had a worse team, by no means i would by anthing smaller than Parker-Ginobili still being the best backcourt in the league. I think the difference comes from a perfection standpoint and consistency, not to say capitalizying all his oportunities, a thing Shaq couldn´t do.
    Duncan has been more consistent throught his career and has mantained a higher standar both as proffessional and as a person. Plus, did everything in a small market team which is always difficult. Ask bron bron.

14. Seth

Seth Member

I would have to say an old Toyota Corona.

15. Asian Sensation

Duncan attempted 4 three pointers in the regular season and made 0.

Who knew he'd go all Robert Horry all of a sudden.

It's still a bad defensive lapse regardless but it's not completely Shaq's fault. Guess who the other culprit is surprise surprise Steve Nash. Nash should have let Gino go to the hole and switched over to Duncan cause the Suns were up by 3.

It's really a genius play drawn up by Popovich though. Nobody knew Duncan was gonna slip out for the 3 and thus he left Shaq in no-mans land. He had no business being that far out.

16. nickb492

You're right......now I'm not so sure. I'm not sure Duncan will last 5 more years and comparing both to players to their 13 year I might be more prone to pick Shaq......thanks, now i will have this on my mind for awhile.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Tim Duncan. Shaq had a greater peak, but Duncan gets the edge because of his consistency and never putting himself ahead of his team.

18. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This is nonsense.

19. ebatinga

ebatinga Member

I actually wonder if this poll is slightly skewed/tainted for the simple fact that alot of people just don't like Shaq....

20. nickb492

Yeah I know it wasn't Shaq's fault but as soon as this thread came up, that video was playing in my head. I remember I was getting ready for the Rockets playoff game and seeing that thinking damn I hope our game is that exciting......fu** the Jazz.