1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should try to trade Yao now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GlenRice, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

2. htown88

htown88 Member

Even if Yao is not where he was at his prime he still is a better center then most out there and if healthy the best IMO.... Keep him and try and sign him for less money its worth a shot but trading him to another team to me is not a smart move.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i believe it will be less than that after the season is over. again...really hope i'm wrong. but one more injury, and it may be retirement..that's the nature of where we are now with Yao.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You guys are seriously believing Daryl Marketer?

:)

DD

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

what's the difference btw nothing return and a bag of potatos in return?

if you have this thought, don't you think other ppl will have the same thought?

can't argue with you on "his body is breaking down" since he did get injury a few times. but how do you conclude "he is on decline"? he was on his best before the last injury. he hasn't played yet. a little bit too early to make this conclusion, do you think?

6. MadMax

you seriously believe Morey is marketing Yao to other teams at this point? i don't believe that for one second, dd. and it has zilch to do with who he is on the basketball court.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No, you missed my point, I think the team has clearly made the decision to stick with Yao.

What I meant by saying "Marketer" is that DM says a lot of stuff to the media as a way of marketing, he is very calculating in what he is saying.

A smart smart man.

DD

8. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Yao's game may be uncertain as of right now, but he is still probably the best player on the team. Plus, he's practically the only one who brings at least some attention to the Rockets. Outside of Houston fans, the rest of NBA culture/media doesn't give a shat about the Rockets. How many televised games did they have last year?
    I say no point in trading him, the next two years the potential to win a ring is great for this team. Of course on the other hand, after that we all know age and injuries may be the end of Yao (like many players)... if not already.
    Whatever, it's just my opinion. :cool:

9. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

A LOT of people have been saying this for years but lets get a couple things straight:

#1) Yao WON'T BE TRADED, his international value that he brings the Rockets and mostly Les Alexander's pockets make him untouchable and I don't blame Les, this is a business afterall.

#2) Yao's value is at an all time low, but I don't think that affects his trade value, any team would trade just about anything for Yao because of the business he would bring the organization. Only players likely off limits: Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Dwight, and obvious a few other top 10-15 players, and really that is all the Rockets would accept for Yao anyways, we need a Superstar in return because other than Yao who exactly on this team can you build around? There are just a bunch of role players.

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I'd like to add:

#3) Yao is 7'6" making him impossible to replace because you can't teach size.

11. tonyt8605

tonyt8605 Member

I'm not gonna take Yao's comments as an exaggerated sign that he won't do well. I feel with him being limited for the year and gradually working his way back to play probably 32 mpg max, he should be definitely good again. Now I won't be naive and say he will be back to his old form, but I won't underestimate Yao's amazing work ethic and think he'll be less.

12. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Lets trade the friggin ball boys while we're at it. Any takers for Adelman?

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

GlenRice:

[​IMG]

14. txmanincali

txmanincali Member

Absolutely not! I dont see anyone in the league that we can get in return for Yao that will deliver half of what Yao can deliver on an off night. kind of like Greg Oden (I'm in no way comparing him to Yao) Simply saying that I dont see Portland trading him or sending him anywhere because of his potential. 7 footers are a very nice commodity on a team. Yao creates a totally different dimension for the Rockets. You better believe that Yao would be welcome on any other team in this league... They'll find something for him to do... AS SHOULD WE!!

15. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

ok, let's put it in this way.

if you really believe there are many many teams that are interested in yao and are willing to gamble on him, what makes them to do that? don't tell me they don't know yao's injury prone. don't tell me they know less than you do. don't tell me you're an NBA expert and they aren't. don't tell me you have highest iq in the world. if other teams are willing to bet, why can't rox do?

i understand your concern is legitmate but if dm and les are willing to gamble most likely they know way more than what we know.

we can treat sticking with yao as a one year rental. if it doesn't work out, we're free from his contract. if works, the benefit is huge and unpredictable.

16. MadMax

1. I agree...he won't be traded because of his value OFF THE COURT. As a fan of the team ON THE COURT...I find that highly unsatisfying. I don't give a rip about Les' interests aside from how the team in red is doing on the court;

2. if you're right and he could be traded for something of value ON THE COURT because some other team wants his value OFF THE COURT....see the paragraph 1, above, where I said, "highly unsatisfying." :)

17. AB-4-3

AB-4-3 Member

Everyone that wants to trade Yao will be eating their words when we play the Fakers in the WCF and he dominates the Faker bigs.

18. MadMax

i will happily happily happily eat my words.

i like Yao Ming. great guy. easy to root for.

19. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If the rockets traded Yao right now, there would be zero rockets game on national tv next season...

20. WNBA

WNBA Member

bad management.

When Yao was asked the most by the teams, Morey should have traded him last season.